SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Catch-22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catch-22 Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I live in a fairly built up area (most of the homes are triple deckers or other multiple family dwellings, maybe 5% single family). As most of the structures were built around World War I most don't have off street parking. The number of people and cars has increased, making it nearly impossible to get a space.

I parked on a side street (more of an extension) a block down where I used to park a lot. My street, a block away and for the rest of the street is resident parking as we're near a subway stop and they don't want commuters to park there. I checked to see if it was resident parking, not a sign in sight. The next morning I found I was ticketed for parking in a resident parking zone. I fought the ticket and had it grudgingly dismissed.

Rumor had it they were going to make our stretch of the street residential parking, so I sent in a check with my proof of residence (I've been here over 30 years) for a reasonably priced parking permit plus a guest one, a whopping $7.50. A few days later the check was returned. I called the department of parking and traffic and a very nice woman explained that I wasn't eligible for a permit as our stretch of street isn't resident parking only. We had recently gotten one of those "my door is always open" letters from the mayor, so I took him up on the offer and sent an e-mail. a few days later I got a reply from his staff saying they're "looking into" making us resident parking. You can imagine how annoying it is to not be able find a space where there's an empty street nearby. It would be like running a subway where you could only use one car yo jam everyone in while the others are empty.

Thank you for allowing me to rant. Wink

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Well delivered, sir.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post