SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why Not Answer the Forum Question, Instead?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Not Answer the Forum Question, Instead? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
This is commonplace on Internet forums, so I shouldn't be irked. But I am.

I'm not talking about thread drift. Sometimes that can lead to some fun and interesting reading. No, I'm talking about people who don't answer a question posed, but rather interpose an opinion that hardly even approaches an answer. Here's an example, based on a recent experience:

ME: I have a Nikon CoolPix P900. There is now a P950 with some features I like. It's between the P900 and the P1000. Has anyone had experience with one, yet?

RESPONDENT #1: I have a Sony RX10 Mark IV. Great camera!

RESPONDENT #2: Why are you interested in the P950? Take a look at the P1000.

RESPONDENT #3: Superzoom cameras don't have the same image quality as DSLRs.

RESPONDENT #4: I didn't know there was a P950. Really?

and so on...

Closer to home, imagine this example:

ME: I'm trying to choose between a SIG P938 and a SIG P365.

RESPONDENT #1: Take a look at the Kimber Micro.

RESPONDENT #2: You should consider a revolver. Much better than a jammo-matic.

RESPONDENT #3: Neither. Go for a Hellcat.

RESPONDENT #4: The holster will make the difference.

Okay, so they're examples only. But notice "I" asked specific questions, and the replies I got, while well-meaning, did not answer the question. I know that threads usually lose focus after about two pages, but I'm not sure why people answer a question with something that has little to no bearing on it. If you want me to consider a Hellcat, at least tell me why neither the two I was considering don't meet your requirements. Since I mentioned the specific item in question, at least consider that perhaps I already narrowed my decision based on research and experimentation?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
This is commonplace on Internet forums, so I shouldn't be irked...

ME: I'm trying to choose between a SIG P938 and a SIG P365.

No. You should focus on getting more ammo and training. Wink

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
it's all about their post count

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

Welcome to the forum Member az4783054.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Word. They're just trying to get a high enough post count to be secretly reclassified by the forum software as a "high profile member" in order to be eligible to win all the best Karmas.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Word. They're just trying to get a high enough post count to be secretly reclassified by the forum software as a "high profile member" in order to be eligible to win all the best Karmas.

So...that's how its done. Razz
I thought "Please enter me." was the magic phrase.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the Sony RX100 mk2 or mk3.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the first thing that popped into my head when I first read the OP.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
This ties into a similar pattern where some members don't bother to read the OP and therefore post something totally irrelevant and meaningless.

Good example- OP says he's had lots of problems with his vehicle and had decided to sell it. He got a pretty good deal on it and is looking for recommendations on a replacement.

So, about on the 2nd or 3rd page,along comes a post saying he should hold onto it and fix it up rather then selling.

Usually happens on longer threads. Guess it's too much trouble to see what the OP was really wanting advice on.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chimed in , five days after the guy went and bought a holster that wouldn't pull his pants down, one time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
How else will people know i was here if i dont post my opinion at every opportunity, however irrelevant or superfluous it may be. I am participating!! /s

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's true and it works. In my defense, all I really wanted was some homemade bacon or maple syrup, but I got a P228. In fact, post count was literally the answer. Smile

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Q. Whaddy’all think of the new Dodge Whizbang Pickup truck? Does anyone have one? I’m looking for comments from actual owners.

A. I had a ‘74 Datsun pickup. It was a great truck.

I see this stuff every day on the forum...

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I like pulled pork.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Cuz we bitch about these issues in “What’s Your Deal” and the ones we bitch about never get to read it. Sometimes I use sarcasm but apparently others don’t appreciate it. Arc alluded to this a few weeks back but it fell upon deaf ears.

In the lounge there is a thread about actors and actresses. I made a smart-ass comment about using the “The Lair” but no one cared Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought "Please enter me." was the magic phrase.

It is for me any time a female says it.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have a high post count and I never win any karmas.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Q. Whaddy’all think of the new Dodge Whizbang Pickup truck? Does anyone have one? I’m looking for comments from actual owners.

A. I had a ‘74 Datsun pickup. It was a great truck.

I see this stuff every day on the forum...

Well, the 74 Datsun was a great truck...

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is so true in any Q&A sections, especially Amazon.
I bought it as a gift so I don’t know. But I am still posting an answer.

There should be plus and minus points for dumb answer.

And for the record tactical sunglasses will make the difference with any gun purchase

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
1-star, item arrived damaged, USPS box was destroyed. (WTF?)

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post