SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Next travel peeve
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next travel peeve Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
What is up with Expedia?

I want an English website while in Japan for hotels in Japan with rates in either US dollars or Yen.

For whatever reason, I was getting some mixed language version with rates in some other currency (RM?). Maybe related to Malaysia since Malaysia ads were on the side bar.

I couldn't force it to English only (language was part of it, the other was some different date format), Dollars only (or Yen). Some developer in a cube trying to be smart but fucking me up.

And then there is Google Maps -- I zoom into a particular city, search for Hotel and the map shifts to some random country / city. WTF? I just want to search for hotels in the zoomed area. So, I kept having to type "hotel <the city I was looking at>"

Does this stuff not get tested?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does this stuff not get tested?

Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Error 404 Page not found

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had Google and various websites default to the "local" version outside the US, but you can always force it to English (or British). Sometimes the word "language" is in the local language (or character in east Asia) so you have to find it. It's best when they use a flag - then either the US or UK flag will do.

RMB is Chinese currency Remninbi. Or Yuan in older terminology.

Generally I don't use any of the "travel" websites to buy anything. I use "Hipmunk" to find the flights I want, and it can also be used for hotel.

Most hotels offer direct booking at guaranteed lowest rate on their own webpages now, so there's not much need for the others. I did use Travelocity to buy a flight on Jet Airways in India (same price is my business rate through Amex Travel), and C-Trip to buy a Shenzen Air flight in China. Going through an alliance partner airline based in the US is usually more expensive, but sometimes it's similar. On the Shenzen Air ticket, it was like $145 and refundable with small penalty (basically the carrier's normal policies). The only option I found on "Hipmunk" which is great for viewing available flights, was Priceline, and they wanted $175 non-refund and extra fees to make it refundable.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I've had Google and various websites default to the "local" version outside the US, but you can always force it to English (or British). Sometimes the word "language" is in the local language (or character in east Asia) so you have to find it. It's best when they use a flag - then either the US or UK flag will do.

RMB is Chinese currency Remninbi. Or Yuan in older terminology.

Generally I don't use any of the "travel" websites to buy anything. I use "Hipmunk" to find the flights I want, and it can also be used for hotel.

Most hotels offer direct booking at guaranteed lowest rate on their own webpages now, so there's not much need for the others. I did use Travelocity to buy a flight on Jet Airways in India (same price is my business rate through Amex Travel), and C-Trip to buy a Shenzen Air flight in China. Going through an alliance partner airline based in the US is usually more expensive, but sometimes it's similar. On the Shenzen Air ticket, it was like $145 and refundable with small penalty (basically the carrier's normal policies). The only option I found on "Hipmunk" which is great for viewing available flights, was Priceline, and they wanted $175 non-refund and extra fees to make it refundable.

Google did that to me in Germany last year. You can force it to English by simply changing the default ".xxx" (in my case, ".de") to ".com".

Google Translate will do entire web sites. If nothing else, it's good for finding the built-in language options for the site.

On Google Maps: Find that country's equivalent of a zip code, and enter it in for the area you're looking at. Example: If I'm looking at a house in Frayser here (mid to deep hood area around here), I'd type "123 Smith Street 38127" and that way it filters the results down to the Memphis area.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:

Google did that to me in Germany last year. You can force it to English by simply changing the default ".xxx" (in my case, ".de") to ".com".

Why do you care what language the .xxx sites are in? Are you reading the articles?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
lp0 on fire

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
lp0 on fire

Can anti virus fix that?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post