SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    grocery stores that replace name brand items for store brands
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

grocery stores that replace name brand items for store brands Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am all about some ghetto brands for pretty much everything. As long as it is from a well known high end chain. Mainly Kroger and Meijer here but ohhh how I dream of being able to shop at Publix on a weekly basis.
Though I will say there are 4 items that I do not buy the ghetto brand of.
Helmans Mayonaise
Plochmans Mustard
Coke and Pepsi Products
Boars Head Meats

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't recall seeing any grocery stores, other than the purposefully cheap ones, replacing the name brand with the store one. Confused They are always alongside each other. Sometimes people pay more for the perceived or real quality or taste of the name brand. Why would they cost themselves a sale?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Publix Premium ice cream (especially the maple walnut) is some of the best store-bought ice cream I have ever had. The half gallon tub is a true half gallon, 64 oz., not the 59 oz. that so many name brands have gone to for the "half gallon." Frequently on sale for $3.50, which is less than a quart container of the name brands.

The ice cream is so good that it prompted my friend (a member of SIGforum, so you know that this is true!) to call Publix and ask who their supplier is, so he can look for that brand when he's in his summer home, which is located in an area where Publix does not have any stores.

The reply from Publix: "We make our own ice cream."

Everything that I have tried with the Publix Premium store brand label has been excellent. The frozen pizza is the best frozen pizza I have found.

Another store brand that is usually outstanding quality is Costco's Kirkland Signature. Is there better bacon to be found anywhere, other than Jeff Yarchin's karmas?

We use a Keurig brewer at home and find that the Costco brand of K-cups is as good as, or better than, any other brand for our taste, and at a significantly lower cost. Going from memory I think we pay in the neighborhood of forty-two bucks for a carton of 120 K-cups. The Pacific Bold variety is a good, strong, flavorful coffee. So much flavor in fact, that I now enjoy it straight; no more half-and-half.

I also find that Walmart Great Value products are middle-of-the-road when compared to major brands. Neither better nor worse than average, but at lower cost. Bonus of buying these, I get to do my people-watching at the Walmart store and parking lot. That alone is worth while! Roll Eyes

I second this. Publix and Costco/kirkland branded items are just as good, if not sometimes better than the name brand. They're the only store brands I've found that is very good quality. All of the other generic brands generally suck.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I eat cereal.....a lot of cereal. I have found that Walmart's Great Value brand for their Oat Squares and Cinnamon Oat Squares (Life knock-offs) suits me just fine as well as Kroger's brand of Cocoa Krispies. Waaaaay cheaper than the "brand name" counterparts.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ajensen:
Does anyone wonder where Costco comes up with Kirkland brand? You don't believe they have their own manufacturing plants do you?
They approach major manufacturers of name brands and make them a proposition.
So your running two shifts now. Wanna run three?
Have the third shift make the same product but put Kirkland label on it.

do you work for Costco?
or any of the manufacturers that you mention ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone wonder where Costco comes up with Kirkland brand? You don't believe they have their own manufacturing plants do you?

Apparently, Costco has it's own product R&D. They may not own their own manufacturing but they do provide their own specs often enough instead of just private labeling other brands.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
They are exactly the same in many cases.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Publix Premium ice cream (especially the maple walnut) is some of the best store-bought ice cream I have ever had. The half gallon tub is a true half gallon, 64 oz., not the 59 oz. that so many name brands have gone to for the "half gallon." Frequently on sale for $3.50, which is less than a quart container of the name brands.

The ice cream is so good that it prompted my friend (a member of SIGforum, so you know that this is true!) to call Publix and ask who their supplier is, so he can look for that brand when he's in his summer home, which is located in an area where Publix does not have any stores.

Everything that I have tried with the Publix Premium store brand label has been excellent. The frozen pizza is the best frozen pizza I have found.

You forgot to mention publix bread..... Big Grin

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajensen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:

do you work for Costco?
or any of the manufacturers that you mention ?

I do not work for Costco or any any of the manufacturers mentioned. Did my own research in the internet.

Posts: 26 | Location: Retired in SC | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

Apparently, Costco has it's own product R&D. They may not own their own manufacturing but they do provide their own specs often enough instead of just private labeling other brands.

What I've see is Costco gets a new product. If it sells well, suddenly the Kirkland brand comes out with it and the name brand is gone.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:

Publix dairy processing facility Lakeland FL.

Their ice cream is really good. You have Laura Johnson (retired) to thank for that.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

You forgot to mention publix bread..... Big Grin
Not just Publix bread, it's the onion rye. If you haven't tried the in-store bakery onion rye, you have to try it. Great for roast beef sandwiches, or toasted with morning coffee, just about everything except stuff like peanut butter, honey, jam ...

Gotta get to the store early though, they only bake a couple of loaves of this delectable bread and when it's gone, it's gone.

I haven't had any for over a week, withdrawal symptoms here, but wife and I are on a no-carb 30 day diet. I think somebody here on the forum suggested the diet. No Publix onion rye for V-Tail until the beginning of April.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many years ago, my father spend a summer working at a canning plant in his hometown. He found it very interesting that as the filled cans moved down to the labeling area, they were separated into several different lines. Some had name brands and some were store brands. Same product, just different labels.

Several decades ago when I was about 14, I worked a summer for one of those big canning companies up in Lewiston Idaho. Got to see what happened to all those peas that were coming out of the processors in those huge pea fields.

The name of the processing company was, AIR, Snow Crop.

On occasion I had to walk through part of the canning plant. Got to see the labeling lines. Each line was putting a different company label on the cans.

Same peas, from the same fields, same canning plant, just different labels on the cans.

Same thing applied to the cherries we were picking, too. I got paid 3 cents a pound to pick them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
quote:
Originally posted by cobrajet:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Many years ago, my father spend a summer working at a canning plant in his hometown. He found it very interesting that as the filled cans moved down to the labeling area, they were separated into several different lines. Some had name brands and some were store brands. Same product, just different labels.

That was something I learned in elementary school. We used to take a field trip to tour Pillsbury bakery, and one of Pillsbury's brands is Green Giant. Same veggies that went into the Green Giant cans went into a number of other store labels cans.

Same thing way back when I worked in a bakery, just change the bags for different name brands or store brands.

In some cases store brands may just be repackaged (AKA Private Labelled) versions of the store brand. But nowadays they are often intentionally made with different specs/standards as to not hurt their own name brand.

Canned corn for example. In a good growing year you'll be hard pressed to find a difference. It's during the tough growing seasons you'll find the differences.

I use store brand about half the time, picking and choosing what I feel makes a difference.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll go for the store brands almost every time. When I shop Wally World, the Great Value products are just like the national brands. When I buy at Aldi's, there in house names are just as good as the majors and it says you a shit pot full of money too!

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I've been in water bottling facilities that bottle for dozens of in-house and branded items. All the same water, different label.

There is a difference between bottled water. Some brands, particularly the higher end spring water brands, I can't stand. Some I can stand cold, but not warm. And the taste can change region to region.

The funny part is one brand that I can stand locally is the Sam's Club house brand. And it is one of the cheapest at under 9 cents a bottle at case prices.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
You should stay out of Aldi and Trader Joe's then.

Aldis is like Bizarroland. The packaging and colors of their store brands mimic the name brands even to the point where if you are used to Hellmans mayonaise, their packaging is identical but it may say "Spellmans" .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post