SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    grocery stores that replace name brand items for store brands
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

grocery stores that replace name brand items for store brands Login/Join 
Picture of side_shot
posted
i hate it when they do this the store brand rarely
taste the same

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what's worse is when the packaging is so close to the original that you mistakenly grab the store brand when you're in a hurry.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm generally happy with the store brands, especially when it'll save us a fistful of dollars.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I used to avoid store brands but I have been buying some more often now as I find them as good or nearly as good as the name brand. Not always true but mostly, at least for me.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Publix Premium ice cream (especially the maple walnut) is some of the best store-bought ice cream I have ever had. The half gallon tub is a true half gallon, 64 oz., not the 59 oz. that so many name brands have gone to for the "half gallon." Frequently on sale for $3.50, which is less than a quart container of the name brands.

The ice cream is so good that it prompted my friend (a member of SIGforum, so you know that this is true!) to call Publix and ask who their supplier is, so he can look for that brand when he's in his summer home, which is located in an area where Publix does not have any stores.

The reply from Publix: "We make our own ice cream."

Everything that I have tried with the Publix Premium store brand label has been excellent. The frozen pizza is the best frozen pizza I have found.

Another store brand that is usually outstanding quality is Costco's Kirkland Signature. Is there better bacon to be found anywhere, other than Jeff Yarchin's karmas?

We use a Keurig brewer at home and find that the Costco brand of K-cups is as good as, or better than, any other brand for our taste, and at a significantly lower cost. Going from memory I think we pay in the neighborhood of forty-two bucks for a carton of 120 K-cups. The Pacific Bold variety is a good, strong, flavorful coffee. So much flavor in fact, that I now enjoy it straight; no more half-and-half.

I also find that Walmart Great Value products are middle-of-the-road when compared to major brands. Neither better nor worse than average, but at lower cost. Bonus of buying these, I get to do my people-watching at the Walmart store and parking lot. That alone is worth while! Roll Eyes

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I like when they have both so I have options. Replacement is NOT cool.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajensen
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, my father spend a summer working at a canning plant in his hometown. He found it very interesting that as the filled cans moved down to the labeling area, they were separated into several different lines. Some had name brands and some were store brands. Same product, just different labels.

Posts: 26 | Location: Retired in SC | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
There are those store brands that have no brand-name equivalent.

There is nothing as tempting as Kroger-brand French onion and sour cream chip dip. A tub of that and a bag of wavy lays and I'll gain five pounds.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And stop making the store brand of Preparation-H, look like Colgate Toothpaste...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I often use store brands unless I know the name brand equivalent is not just better, but enough better to justify the increase in price.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
There should be choice. I love the store brands though, especially the ones that come from the exact same place as the name brand stuff with a package change. Sometimes though the store brands come from some place totally different though and you can definitely tell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ajensen:
Many years ago, my father spend a summer working at a canning plant in his hometown. He found it very interesting that as the filled cans moved down to the labeling area, they were separated into several different lines. Some had name brands and some were store brands. Same product, just different labels.

That was something I learned in elementary school. We used to take a field trip to tour Pillsbury bakery, and one of Pillsbury's brands is Green Giant. Same veggies that went into the Green Giant cans went into a number of other store labels cans.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:

That was something I learned in elementary school. We used to take a field trip to tour Pillsbury bakery, and one of Pillsbury's brands is Green Giant. Same veggies that went into the Green Giant cans went into a number of other store labels cans.

Same thing way back when I worked in a bakery, just change the bags for different name brands or store brands.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrajet:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:

Same thing way back when I worked in a bakery, just change the bags for different name brands or store brands.

In some cases store brands may just be repackaged (AKA Private Labelled) versions of the store brand. But nowadays they are often intentionally made with different specs/standards as to not hurt their own name brand.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I visited a bakery in Los Angeles that had over 50 unique UPCs for just a few styles of bread. Same bread, different label.

I've been in water bottling facilities that bottle for dozens of in-house and branded items. All the same water, different label.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
hannaford and market basket stopped carrying geisha chunk light tuna and replaced it with the store brand and it is like mush thank god i can buy direct from the distributor

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some stores store brands are good, but other stores store brands not so good!
One of the problems of an old mind is remembering which one is good?

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
You should stay out of Aldi and Trader Joe's then.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
You should stay out of Aldi and Trader Joe's then.

i do

Picture of ajensen
posted Hide Post
Does anyone wonder where Costco comes up with Kirkland brand? You don't believe they have their own manufacturing plants do you?
They approach major manufacturers of name brands and make them a proposition.
So your running two shifts now. Wanna run three?
Have the third shift make the same product but put Kirkland label on it.

Posts: 26 | Location: Retired in SC | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post