SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If it's longer than a few sentences, don't quote it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it's longer than a few sentences, don't quote it. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
And especially don't quote it if:

• You're replying with more than what you're quoting, because you're just adding to page clutter.
  • You're replying with less than two sentences, with no capitalization or punctuation.
  • You're replying to a quote on the same page. If you do, strip out everything but the point you're replying to, or even all of the text and replace it with "Post" or something.
  • It contains multiple images.
  • It contains a string of multiple, long-ass, nested quotes.
  • You have a witty little quote in your signature that has no line break so we have to keep reading it over and over again like it's part of your post.

Forum hygiene. Practice it. Nobody wants to re-read the same shit over and over and over again. Nobody wants to scroll through a whole page of posts where only scant contributions are made and yet the entire previous three pages are quoted for us to slog through again and again. Learn how to edit out the parts that don't apply to what you're quoting with "[...]," which implies that you indeed edited out some things that weren't entirely necessary to quote.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Another I heartily approve.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

• You're replying with more than what you're quoting, because you're just adding to page clutter.
  • You're replying with less than two sentences, with no capitalization or punctuation.
  • You're replying to a quote on the same page. If you do, strip out everything but the point you're replying to, or even all of the text and replace it with "Post" or something.
  • You have a witty little quote in your signature that has no line break so we have to keep reading it over and over again like it's part of your post.

Forum hygiene. Practice it. Nobody wants to re-read the same shit over and over and over again. Nobody wants to scroll through a whole page of posts where only scant contributions are made and yet the entire previous three pages are quoted for us to slog through again and again. Learn how to edit out the parts that don't apply to what you're quoting with "[...]," which implies that you indeed edited out some things that weren't entirely necessary to quote.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Your humor is on another level and I'm not sure how to interpret that you quoted me, but I'm laughing anyway. Big Grin

*Edit - Alright then.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That someone will immediately do whatever the OP complained about in a thread like this is as surprising as the sun’s appearance in the morning.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I just can’t do it. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:... but I'm laughing anyway.

I love you too, man. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:

• Jesus, Joseph, and Mary. The fact that signatures are made, without the HR break makes me hate the human race. I read stupid shit so much and am like WTF!?!? If you can’t figure out the fucking VB code fir HR, then do some damn dashes or underscores. It’s not that hard.

https://sigforum.com/eve?a=faq&...t=Y&x_context=forums UBB code...

/rant.

quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    I think it's adorable, the way some of y'all are trying to fix the Internet

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Certified All Positions
    Picture of arcwelder
    posted Hide Post
    If people want to be heard, they need to understand that "TLDR" is a thing.

If your post is a mess because of images, nested quotes, a ridiculously huge sig file, or any number of things, people will just roll on by.

It's nigh impossible to make actual granule rules about this sort of thing... people can't seem to figure out how to not fuck up posting memes.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself. People will ignore reckless clutter.

Arc.
    "You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Purveyor of
    Fine Avatars
    Picture of Orguss
    posted Hide Post
    While I agree with the points you made, I'd like to also add that it would be great if people wouldn't cut out the poster header. Seeing a phrase quoted without seeing the original author is seriously annoying.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

While I agree with the points you made, I'd like to also add that it would be great if people wouldn't cut out the poster header. Seeing a phrase quoted without seeing the original author is seriously annoying.

Sometimes I do that if I disagree with something but don't want to seem like I'm calling the poster out.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Leave the gun.
    Take the cannoli.
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arcwelder:
    If your post is a mess because of images, nested quotes, a ridiculously huge sig file, or any number of things, people will just roll on by.

This is absolutely true. Arc, your post should be a sticky on the lounge page. Thank you, Smudge, for bringing this up. I’ve been meaning to suggest the same for years. Unfortunately, this is not in the lounge and won’t get enough exposure.

Now, gentlemen, excuse me while I go search for the longest article I can find on the internet and cut-and-paste it to a SIG forum thread. Since I’m feeling lazy this morning I’ll even leave out the link.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just Hanging Around
    posted Hide Post
    I thought I read somewhere that you had to quote a half page post, so your +1 at the bottom wouldn’t get lost.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    Gotta love the tit for tat, "I quote you, you quote me, I quote you..." ending up in have a page of quotes from two people who likely need to get a room and shag.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    If your post is a mess because of... a ridiculously huge sig file... people will just roll on by.

Says the guy with the 9 line tall signature; the same height as the comment you posted. Big Grin

(At least you use a noticeable break to differentiate it. Wink)

quote:
    Originally posted by PD:
    Now, gentlemen, excuse me while I go search for the longest article I can find on the internet and cut-and-paste it to a SIG forum thread. Since I’m feeling lazy this morning I’ll even leave out the link.

Cool. Don't forget to just highlight the whole webpage before you copy/paste the article. That way you'll be sure to bring along all the image captions, ad subtitles, and links to related articles and social media accounts, so that they're all jumbled in the midst of your post for maximum bleeding of the eyes. Your readers will understand and appreciate it, because after all, the information contained in that important article is totally worth the torture of deciphering your hellish text.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    quote:
    If your post is a mess because of... a ridiculously huge sig file... people will just roll on by.

Says the guy with the 9 line tall signature; the same height as the comment you posted. Big Grin

(At least you use a noticeable break to differentiate it. Wink)
    BAhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahaha

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KbNyuNXogRs" width="614"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Yeah!!! This!!!

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    Please don’t bring on an image tsunami in my thread. I have no problem asking for one, but I think the points I, and others have made are worth stating. Thank you.

Alea iacta est
    Picture of Beancooker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by kkina:
    quote:

Sometimes I do that if I disagree with something but don't want to seem like I'm calling the poster out.

Grow a pair and call them out. I hate it when people don’t quote the person. I’m not trying to be an asshole, but seriously, if someone says something stupid, say what you have to say.

quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post