SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windows 10 at $140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 at $140 Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
"Running" as some people like to say a vintage HP Elitebook 840 G2 on Windows 7. Works fine. Updating to Win10 is $140. Not going to happen.

Updated the BIOS and drivers already. Can't see a reason to do much more than that.

Probably need only to create an admin user and let this one serve somewhere else.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
You may still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you're running 7. I did this a few months ago.

https://www.howtogeek.com/5090...windows-10-for-free/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...e-download/windows10

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I wish they let you upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Why not go modern and upgrade to Linux? MX Linux is a fabulous replacement for Windows, and its interface is close enough that you can get used to it in no time! It's the #1 Linux on DistroWatch, but you can choose literally hundreds of others if you don't like the MX offering.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

Why not go modern and upgrade to Linux?
I would do this in a heartbeat if the two programs that I use for business -- QuickBooks, and Medlin Accounting, had versions that would run under Linux, or any UNIX variant.

As it is, I am stuck with Windows for these, but I am doing it with Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine, on Mac OS X hosts. Mac OS is used for everything other than QuickBooks and Medlin.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
If you have a 10gb thumb drive you can do a fresh install of windows 10. A windows key is not required to install or use the program. If you decide to register the program some people have luck with using their windows 7 key in windows 10 or you could buy one on ebay for a couple bucks.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J387:
some people have luck with using their windows 7 key in windows 10 or you could buy one on ebay for a couple bucks.

I just Activated a fresh Win10 install with an old Win 7 Key.

Thanks for reminding me.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am stupid for tossing a recovery USB in Win 7 that probably had a key.

-------

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sent you a copy of a Win7 Pro Product Key from a retired \ scrapped PC.

Thanks to your question I finished a laptop upgrade I never finished.

Good Luck.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I am stupid for tossing a recovery USB in Win 7 that probably had a key.

There are apps for getting serial numbers. For example.

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. Managed to upgrade at no cost.

-------