SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Department of Motor Vehicles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Department of Motor Vehicles Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted
How can one of the most screwed up places on earth screw things up more?

We now have to make an appointment to go to the DMV to get anything done that can not be done online. Appointments are typically about 2 months out.

I purchased a trailer and an old truck back in October out of state. Can not register them online, so I made my appointment with the worlds most screwed up organization which was yesterday.

I get there a little before my appointment, following the instructions go to the front door 10 minutes prior to the appointment, only to be told too many people in the building, please stand outside. OK, it is freezing rain out here, but OK.

I finally get inside only to be put in a damned line. What happened to the appointment? I was told the appointment was to get me in the building.

I finally get to the front of the line was asked what are you here for. Per my appointment I am here to register a truck and a trailer. This is where they managed to fuck up the worlds most fucked up organization even more. I was told, Sir, you can only register one of them. WTF, Why is that? Sir, you only have one appointment, not two, you need two appointments to register two things. You are joking right? No Sir, you only have one appointment, you can only register one of them.

After arguing with the supervisor, they decided to have the security guard stand with the upset customer and can't seem to understand why the fuck I am pissed off.

I asked how the hell I was supposed to use the unregistered vehicle since the next appointment is in February.

No response to that question, so my plan is to take a copy of the Bill of Sale, a copy of the next appointment and use the vehicle. I hope like hell I get stopped, ticketed and get a fucking court date. I want someone to fix this Bullshit and hopefully a judge will force them to do the right fucking thing.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Two appointments to get you in the building to register two things?

That's the most effed up rule I've come across and there have been pretty dumb ones.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You know what I think? I think you owe us $48.50.. Wild thang.

That is crazy.

You could come back during your next visit and start coughing and sneezing, but only after the transaction is complete.

Just crazy. At least you weren't there to get a CDL.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend went to the passport office years back.
Had to drive long distance to get it quickly. First at the window when it opens. They lady asks do you have an appointment he replies no and asks how to get one. She points to the pay phone on the wall and tells him to look up the number. He finally locates the correct number. The same lady answers the phone. He asks for the first available appointment. She says 3 this afternoon.
Sounds like she has moved to the DMV.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
" They're all Sloths"

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
What used to take just minutes on the AZ MVD website now takes an hour. You best be patient and/or a computer whiz.

We used to get new plates/tabs or title in about an hour with an in person visit. Now it's appointment only and you must wear a mask. Before the ccp crud AZ MVD had done away with 90% of the chairs for people waiting and they implemented standing in long lines as "more efficient".

Where a new plate/tab and title used to come in the mail in about one week, I just waited 7+ weeks. I had to get the dealer to issue another temporary paper plate.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Virginia is now officially Woke and all hope is gone. We moved from Maryland to escape that pos State and now are wondering how long before WV goes belly up.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

That's the most effed up rule I've come across and there have been pretty dumb ones.
I bet they won't let you make two appointments on the same day, either. Totally effed.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I bet they won't let you make two appointments on the same day, either. Totally effed.

I haven't tried that one yet. Maybe I should book every available appointment I can find, then show up just to say hello and leave.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Biden will do his best to turn an already screwed up town into the DMV.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:

Someone always has to ruin it by injecting politics into the discussion.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Virginia DMV... not a thing nice to say.

I'll agree with Georgeair: nice rant! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I actually had a pleasant experience at the DMV in Sylvania OH last week.
I looked on line and found that you could schedule an appointment and was told my appointment was 35 minutes out. I drove up there and checked in and was given a number and only waited maybe 4 or 5 minutes and was called up and paid for my registration for my commercial van, asked a few questions that were answered and out the door in 15minutes. Pleasantly surprised.
Sorry you had a bad experience. Trust me I have had them in the past.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Someone always has to ruin it by injecting politics into the discussion.

Visit a Secretary of State office in Michigan. Our S of S elected in 2018 is a Democrat together with our Governor and Attorney General, all elected in 2018.

Her big push once she got in was Congressional Redistricting first thing out of the gate. Nothing about fixing the problems with the computer system, reducing waiting times, just blame it all on needing more money. Does a photo op with UAW members striking against GM, albeit on a Sunday. But you can't make me believe that she just woke up that morning and thought "Guess I'll go picket with the strikers and just happen to call the TV stations so they can drop everything and film me." Nope. That had to have taken a lot of time with her PR people and I guarantee it was done during the work week. While I don't expect her to work 24/7 I also expect her to work during the work week especially with the problems in those offices.

Appointment system, it could take weeks to get one, this and the other things I cited were all pre-Covid shutdown. Once Covid started all bets were off, office ground to a standstill. Expiration times on license plates and drivers licenses were extended. Last summer it took my wife over a month to get an appointment she had to renew her license, every eighth year you have to personally go into the office for your renewal.

Many cars and trucks are being driven without license plates presently. Drivers are being told that they can drive as long as they have an appointment with proof of such, all documents pertaining to the vehicle purchased and insurance on said vehicle. My friend's gun shop, can't tell you how many times he cannot complete a sale due to a expired drivers license, even though Michigan says it's ok the Feds do not, I.D. has to be current and not expired.

On the office issue, we are in a county with a population of roughly 200k. Seven new car dealers, several used car dealers and a couple powersports together with a couple boat dealers also. ONE office to serve the whole county. Another office would help immensely but no plans for that.

Not to mention that our S of S attempted an emergency order to ban open carry of firearms within 100 feet of a polling place that got struck down by a judge as an "overreach of power" disregarding the state's Constitution and the powers granted to the office by that. Under the state's Constitution the Secretary of State in very limited situations can issue that type of order, none of those conditions were met at that time.

My thoughts are this office should be non-partisan but that would never fly in this state.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since you brought him up. If he does get into the office, my take, all laws are irrelevant. No one should continue to license, register, apply, or pay fees anymore. We will have become a nation of no laws. Fuck the entire system.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Growing up in MI, they had the absolute worst DMV I’ve dealt with. You about never had everything needed to register, motorcycles, $300, 70’s car, whatever. I think that power went to ‘Sharkey’s’ head.

I gotta say, WI for 25 years hasn’t been nearly as bad, of course I seldom go there. I do all I can online or in the mail. With a new vehicle, the dealership starts it off.

They are all like the post office, if they open at 9, the door stays locked until 09 and 1 second.

The Son had to change something recently, had to get an appointment.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Utah is the antithesis of VA. I made an appointment online for later in the week when I was free. The drive was longer than the entire registration process. I walk in, confirm I have an appointment to the guard and on my phone. I then walk in to the station reserved for me. Hand over the proper documents, pay the bill and walk out. The entire process to well under 5 minutes. I was registering a classic vehicle so I thought that might take more time but it didn't.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post