SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dick's Sporting Goods is aptly named.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dick's Sporting Goods is aptly named. Login/Join 
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Dick's oversold Troy rifles on a Black Friday special. Seems the price was too good. It was another great excuse for Dick's to stop selling MSRs (evil rifles). They cancelled a metric shit ton of preorders to avoid a loss.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I didn't even know about all the firearm skulduggery, in fact I didn't know they had a gun counter until I wandered up there. I mean, technically they don't have a gun counter, because I don't know what you'd call it.

I'll probably still shop there for boxing/strength training stuff. Maybe.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
"I don't know, it just says that someone with your name tried to buy a gun 6 times in NY State, and was a felon, so we can't sell you the gun right now, you'll have to come back."

That's about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

I guess a guy with a name like "Bob Smith" would be in a world of hurt trying to ever buy a gun there.

I've been into Dick's stores maybe, maybe a half-dozen times in my life. I've found them to be essentially worthless. I don't think I've ever bought anything in one of them.

Last time was I was looking for a certain jacket. They didn't have exactly what I wanted, but they had something that was really cool. Also exceedingly expensive. (A hallmark of Dick's, IME.) It was on clearance, as the season for it was coming to a close. Told the sales droid that if they could see their way clear to discounting it a little >< further, I could maybe see my way clear to get it off their rack for them. Nope. "Ok, bye."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The primary mistake:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I stopped by Dicks to get some sporting goods./QUOTE]

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
[QUOTE]Why do lesbians shop at Academy?

I see whatyou did there. Wink

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Galyan's was a really, great store. Then Dick's bought them out, and the difference was night and day! Dick's Sporting Goods is the most boring-place on earth. They also own Field & Stream, which is akin to visiting a Cabela's.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arcwelder , do you have a Concealed Carry Permit ? I bought two guns from Academy this past weekend and they do not run the background check if you have one . I would assume it's the same where you live .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Pricks Sporting Goods.........

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My prediction is that they will follow Gander Mountain.

They are not a sporting goods store, they are a clothing store that sometimes sells other things.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Arcwelder , do you have a Concealed Carry Permit ? I bought two guns from Academy this past weekend and they do not run the background check if you have one . I would assume it's the same where you live .

They didn't do a NICS check? I find that odd.

I live in MA, and a NICS plus a MIRC state check happen, you can't buy anything without at least an FID card. If you have a Class A LTC, which I do, it means you can buy "large capacity" firearms, and walk out of the store with it.

If I walked into an Academy, they'd at least do the checks I've mentioned, not the BS that Dicks made up internally.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

They didn't do a NICS check? I find that odd.

I live in MA, and a NICS plus a MIRC state check happen, you can't buy anything without at least an FID card. If you have a Class A LTC, which I do, it means you can buy "large capacity" firearms, and walk out of the store with it.

If I walked into an Academy, they'd at least do the checks I've mentioned, not the BS that Dicks made up internally.

Some states are like that, no NICS required if you have a valid carry license. Texas is this way in fact, though I believe a store can still run one if they choose to do so. I've never had that happen but know a few that it did happen to.

I, like selogic, have bought a couple of firearms from Academy and they don't run the check if you have a carry license. Or at least that's the case around here anyway.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some states are like that, no NICS required if you have a valid carry license. Texas is this way in fact, though I believe a store can still run one if they choose to do so. I've never had that happen but know a few that it did happen to.

I, like selogic, have bought a couple of firearms from Academy and they don't run the check if you have a carry license. Or at least that's the case around here anyway.

Same here in Mississippi. No check if CCW permit holder.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Same here in Mississippi. No check if CCW permit holder.

GA too. They just photocopy our permit and license, check our paperwork and away we go.

I've never bought a gun at Dicks so I don't know if our do their own internal background checks. I doubt I'll ever find out.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
GA too. They just photocopy our permit and license, check our paperwork and away we go.

I've never bought a gun at Dicks so I don't know if our do their own internal background checks. I doubt I'll ever find out.

It's possible that a NICS check occurs, because it typically happens while I fill out the 4473. License and permit are photocopied as well. I could be wrong, but I thought that NICS was part of buying a gun from an FFL, and federal law.

I'd be curious to know if they weren't doing them, or just calling them in later or what. Or if state law has an effect on what I thought was a federal requirement for FFL sales.

What I'm certain of, is that Dicks has it's own internal nonsense. A NICS denial doesn't come back with the kind of info the clerk told me.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
As 41 and eTripper alluded to; back when a lot of their current stores were Galyan's, the shopping experience was totally different. Catered more to the outdoor sports and activities than Dick's. Dick's is a golf and team sports, athletic apparel store that carries some camping, hunting and fishing gear.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's possible that a NICS check occurs, because it typically happens while I fill out the 4473. License and permit are photocopied as well. I could be wrong, but I thought that NICS was part of buying a gun from an FFL, and federal law.

I'd be curious to know if they weren't doing them, or just calling them in later or what. Or if state law has an effect on what I thought was a federal requirement for FFL sales.

What I'm certain of, is that Dicks has it's own internal nonsense. A NICS denial doesn't come back with the kind of info the clerk told me.

That scenario is a possibility in certain cases though I can tell you with absolute certainty, my last 2 purchases there hasn't been a check unless it happened after I left the store. To be honest, I'd be kind of surprised if that's the case.

The way Texas looks at it is that if you have a carry license, you've already gone through the necessary vetting. Basically you fill out the 4473, they make copies of you driver and carry licenses, add the information to their part on the form and you're out the door.

ETA: The pawn shop I've used for my last 2 transfers charges $10 if you have a license and $15 if you don't. Them not having to spend time with the Feds is the exact reason why, it goes faster.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
It's been a long time since I worked for an FFL, but from what I remember, You would get told proceed, Denied or delayed when you did the NICS check. I was never given a reason why the individual was delayed or denied. So the whole "Felon in NY" story is somewhat suspicious. Also, if the Feds denied you, you got a transaction number so you could appeal it. I don't know how it goes with state based background checks.

ditto here in Va, (you contact VSP for by phone or online for background checks, )

approved, delayed, denied,
usually you get a phone call and asked to delay the buyer if they need to come visit and have a chat (meaning usually pic them up)

we (dealers) do not know and will not be told why you are delayed, or denied,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post