SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    YouTube Kids - Never Again!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YouTube Kids - Never Again! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
F#8%cking Google Mad

We'd let our 4 year old son look at videos on YT Kids every so often, not for hours at a time or anything, but maybe 15-30 min here and there and we always made sure what he was watching was legit and not anything inappropriate.

I come to find out that some sickos are creating innocuous-looking videos, but inter-cutting clips of sick shit like a man telling kids how to slit their wrists! WTF!

We immediately removed the app from all devices and will never use it again and our son is only going to be allowed to look and play on his LeapPad from now on which is a kid-friendly pad that does not connect to the internet and has very appropriate games and videos on it.

What really pissed me off is the woman in the news story contacted Google to remove the video and it took them A WHOLE WEEK. Meanwhile if you post some conservative stuff that FB or YT doesn't like, they'll yank that in minutes or hours! Roll Eyes

quote:

A pediatrician exposes suicide tips for children hidden in videos on YouTube and YouTube Kids

Free Hess, a pediatrician and mother, had learned about the chilling videos over the summer when another mom spotted one on YouTube Kids.

She said that minutes into the clip from a children’s video game, a man appeared on the screen — offering instructions on how to commit suicide.

“I was shocked,” Hess said, noting that since then, the scene has been spliced into several more videos from the popular Nintendo game Splatoon on YouTube and YouTube Kids, a video app for children. Hess, from Ocala, Fla., has been blogging about the altered videos and working to get them taken down amid an outcry from parents and child health experts, who say such visuals can be damaging to children.

One on YouTube shows a man pop into the frame. “Remember, kids,” he begins, holding what appears to be an imaginary blade to the inside of his arm. “Sideways for attention. Longways for results.”

Link

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable.

I hope that there are electronic footprints that will allow this sick bastard to be found.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
My daughter put on a YouTube Kids video the other day with a kid telling jokes. He started talking about sword swallowing, and how his dad told him his mom wasn't interested in sword swallowing anymore after they got married. Fortunately my daughter, 8 years old, didn't get the entendre. Needless to say, YTK is no longer on any devices in our house.

Crap like that is also why we don't trust any online content. If our kids are going to watch something, it has to be in the room with us. I don't trust the censors at Google or anywhere else to have the same standards that I have.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsagate

Some real sick shit that YouTube did nothing about until overwhelming coverage.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Our 3.5 year old likes to watch YouTube videos of kids playing with toys. Makes no sense to me but okay

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Our 3.5 year old likes to watch YouTube videos of kids playing with toys. Makes no sense to me but okay

Same here, but now you don't know if there are intercuts of sick or inappropriate stuff now in them.

We are done with the app.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has always been this sort of stuff around. Technology just makes it more prolific. Child predators and other deviants live everywhere.

As a parent you have to keep up with these things. Obviously you do. I see too many parents just hand the kid the phone to keep them quiet. As your children grow older you need to spend time teaching them about danger and how to deal with child predators. It takes time but can be done.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
The revenue generated from some of those channels is obnoxious.

Check out Ryan's Toy Review

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Both of my kids loved Youtube when they were smaller, and still do.

But I wouldn't trust any censor/censoring service.

We carefully monitored what they had access to, and would very carefully scan the history list of the account they were browsing under, to verify what they were watching/see if we missed anything.

Anything we didn't care for would disappear from the history, at least making it harder for them to find again later.

Lots of garbage truck videos (there's an entire subculture of garbage truck enthusiasts out there, like rail fans except for garbage trucks), rail fan videos, toy reviews, etc etc.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

And that 8 year old kid, playing with toys with a Youtube channel, makes $35 MILLION DOLLARS a year in ad revenue, and has a net worth of $100 MILLION DOLLARS. YES, an 8 year old kid that plays with toys on Youtube, is worth $100 million dollars. Puke.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

And that 8 year old kid, playing with toys with a Youtube channel, makes $35 MILLION DOLLARS a year in ad revenue, and has a net worth of $100 MILLION DOLLARS. YES, an 8 year old kid that plays with toys on Youtube, is worth $100 million dollars. Puke.

Why?

What's wrong with providing people with something they want to watch, and getting rewarded (a TINY bit at a time) for it?

Better that kid than any studio exec I can think of.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

And grown ass adults watch other grown ass adults going about their day to day lives (reality tv), and they too are also highly compensated (Kim Kardashian is worth $350million, her sister Kylie Jennar is worth over a billion because of her fashion and makeup lines).

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My kid loves Ryan’s toy review. We will be keeping a much closer eye on it, but I’ve seen nothing untoward. Not as yet.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
One of my co-workers related that a girl cut off her hair after watching one of these fake videos. You just gotta be smart and make sure your kids are watching only official channels.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We deleted it as well.
Initially the Momo hoax was going around but then I read where they had taken Peppa Pig and the episode started as usual but they would add scenes where they were stabbing each other and gauging each other’s eyes out.
I figured that was nonsense too.
Rarely do our kids get to hold a tablet or phone to watch something. Generally just an episode of Andy Griffith on the TV awhile eating breakfast and one in the evening when weather is crap and are stuck inside.
But the other day I let the boy watch a little on YouTube kids and I picked Captain Underpants. It got extra loud all the sudden so I took the phone and sure enough they were stabbing each other and screaming with blood flying all over then one started hitting another with a hammer or something and blood flying all over.
I was pissed. YouTube kids deleted!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with the peppa pig videos.

yup, gotta keep an eye on what they are tuning into.

And to think, the biggest worry my parents had was that I might switch the channel to "General Hospital" at the wrong moment.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do kids (3-10 years old) even know how to play outdoors....alone? I grew up with a small second hand fleet of Tonka trucks mining the back yard for thousands of hours. I cannot see the benefit of parking kids in front of the TV or video whatever for thousands of hours. Kids need dirt, grime, activity, sunshine and thought provoking activities to be healthy.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
Do kids (3-10 years old) even know how to play outdoors....alone? I grew up with a small second hand fleet of Tonka trucks mining the back yard for thousands of hours. I cannot see the benefit of parking kids in front of the TV or video whatever for thousands of hours. Kids need dirt, grime, activity, sunshine and thought provoking activities to be healthy.

That takes too much time and effort for most parents.

They gots to be posting in FaceSpace/Twatter and taking pictures of the food they're making for their imaginary friends online and stuff.

My kids are older now and have some internet access, but from 0-10 they pretty much had jack squat in that arena. Some TV, sure. But not Youtube and shit.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The "toy review" videos, while not suicide instructions, are not "brain food." My son isn't allowed to watch those, any unboxing or magic egg videos, no baby shark shit, no daddy finger shit, actually at this point nothing on Youtube.

There are a number of great kids shows on Netflix and Amazon, as well as PBS kids. These are all professionally produced and contain no disturbing content that I have yet detected.

Story Bots, Stinky and Dirty, Dino Dana, Word Girl, these are all good shows.

I would encourage you to not let your kid sit and watch toy videos, they are only learning consumerism. Also, the amount of stolen and manipulated content on Youtube is ridiculous, and frankly I don't trust it at all to be shown to children.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Arc, give wird world a look when age appropriate. Heck, it entertained me to see how they drew everything with words. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post