SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My son just got white out on his brand new shorts...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son just got white out on his brand new shorts... Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
Yep, he dumped white out on a really nice pair of brand new shorts. He's 8 and was crying. The internet says blot it with acetone. I spilled the acetone on our kitchen table and it ate the finish off a 5"x6" area. I'm quitting now before the house burns down or something.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I thought white out is water soluble? They only put it on paper. You could just try putting it in the washing machine

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

You could just try putting it in the washing machine
I don't thing that the kitchen table will fit in the washing machine.

Maybe a Speed Queen. Industrial size.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Acetone is bad shit. It surprises me that wimmenfolk use it on their fingernails. If I used something that smelled like that to clean my guns, the complaints about “fumes” would be epic.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I use the white out tape instead. Sorry about your sons new shorts, lesson learned.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried it on white out, but I have used brake part cleaner and goo gone with great success on a variety of stuff that stains.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start with a brush and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Not a knock off, must be real deal Dawn. I’ve been quite surprised on what it will help take off. And, it doesn’t damage the clothes (off brands might leave a blue stain).

Good enough for ducks... cheap to try.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

You could just try putting it in the washing machine

I don't thing that the kitchen table will fit in the washing machine.

Maybe a Speed Queen. Industrial size.

I think some people might have missed the part where in the process of trying to clean my son's shorts I screwed up and now have to refinish the $900 kitchen table.

The saying should be the difference between men and boys is the price of the things they screw up.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno, coulda been worse:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well if it was in the crotch of his pants, at 8 years old he should be considered a crown prince among his peers.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Haven't tried it on white out, but I have used brake part cleaner and goo gone with great success on a variety of stuff that stains.

Brake clean will nuke athletic shorts or any other poly type material I'd think.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My kids never cry about clothes

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Yep, he dumped white out on a really nice pair of brand new shorts. He's 8 and was crying. .... I'm quitting now before the house burns down or something.

This sounds racist to me......

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
The elephant in the room is the Table Finish !
That hurts me .... I got gorilla super glue on my coffee table .... I see it right now. Not repairable ..

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My first year in college. I took my laundry to a laundromat – first time mom didn’t wash my clothes. I had new bluejeans and a new red flannel shirt. My white jockey shorts came out lavender. Embarrassing. Could’ve used some whitening.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I spilled the acetone on our kitchen table and it ate the finish off a 5"x6" area.

Depending on location, place mats and runner. Or, table cloth for your new look are a quick fix. Experience speaking.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
My kids never cry about clothes

My kids cry that they have to wear clothes.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No help bout the table other than cover with a tablecloth til you have time refinish or money to have someone do it for you.

I don't generally wear white cos it's hard to keep clean. Well, I got Board Certified in my department & now have to wear a white lab coat. 1st time wearing my new coat, I dropped superglue on the collar. I haven't tried it but the internet said to use acetone too. I have 2 other white lab coats so one of these days I will experiment to see if it works. Let us know if you try the acetone on the shorts & what the outcome is.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well many decades ago my then young bride, who had not a clue about wood finishes (come to think of it, neither did I), used our newly purchased rosewood dining table as an impromptu ironing board. Awk.

Subsequently I managed to steam out some of the heat damage to the clear coat over the stain (a very, VERY cloudy haze), but to this day it continues to wear that nearly forgotten (table cloths work wonders) heat damage as a badge of honor of our first months together under the same roof.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Michael Nesmith (The Monkees). His mother invented it, which is why he doesn't do Monkees reunion tours.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post