SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Streaming TV for 65 $/month?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streaming TV for 65 $/month? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Dear Hulu,

Thank you for sending me your letter of November 14, 2020, in which you announced a price increase of $10 or 18%. For the same channels, and same utility, a price increase of 18% is unwarranted.

Doubtless you saw your new subscriber rate decline, and determined that now was the time to match your closest competitor YouTube TV at that price. Well, your analysts did not quite understand that the reason for your subscribers was the 18% lower price. Your product is not as well-designed as YouTube TV, your user interface is clunky, and your channel lineup is not sufficiently different to create value in choosing Hulu. Your affiliation with a major studio is in fact quite a turn-off, and so your overall product, in a word, stinks.

For this reason, I am hereby cancelling my subscription, and hope that your company enjoys further subscriber attrition comparable only to the loss of Allied soldiers in the Battle of Verdun.

Please remember that the consumer remains king, and that loyalty matters. However, I will refrain from using your service from now on, if I ever return to a subscription. Free competition from providers such as PlutoTV makes this unlikely.

Yours truly,

4MUL8R

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't get Hulu and YouTube TV at $65/mo. We're paying about half that for an OTA TV DVR subscription + Netflix + Amazon Prime + PBS Passport + OAN, and the AP fee gets us free more-or-less 2-3 day shipping from Amazon.

I get that $65/mo. is still a helluva lot less than a cable TV subscription, but, still... nearly $800/year... for TV?

To each their own, but that seems like a lot to me. Heck, I'm not even happy about what we're already spending.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With ya 100%, I didn’t notify Hulu, just dropped them and returned to you tube.

The bride likes you tube. Myself, I like Pluto just fine. OAN & newsmax have replaced Fox. Watched Alfred Hitchcock Presents, it’s been eons and was like seeing an old friend. Binging on the 007 Bond channel now. I never get tired of reruns, always notice something I missed before.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
With ya 100%, I didn’t notify Hulu, just dropped them and returned to you tube.

The bride likes you tube. Myself, I like Pluto just fine. OAN & newsmax have replaced Fox. Watched Alfred Hitchcock Presents, it’s been eons and was like seeing an old friend. Binging on the 007 Bond channel now. I never get tired of reruns, always notice something I missed before.

I find myself watching more and more Pluto but I do have a issue with the amount of buffering I have to put up with. Does Pluto reset their channels from time to time? Will the Bond 007 channel become something else at some point or is it forever Bond 24/7?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's getting pretty close to what I pay for DirecTV after promo.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My friend told me he csncelled his account yesterday for the same reason. An 18% increase is crazy.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Guys and gal here is a news flash. You can dink and doink all you want on satellite, cable, streaming and all the rest. And it is going to cost you. I am really tiring of all these cut the cord threads.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Guys and gal here is a news flash. You can dink and doink all you want on satellite, cable, streaming and all the rest. And it is going to cost you. I am really tiring of all these cut the cord threads.

ORC, I’m sorry you were forced against your will to read, and reply to this.

Now when we left Washington, we said we wouldn’t get cable again. We were spending $200 a month for the Comcast bundle f TV, Phone, and the most amazing internet ever.

I have YouTube prime, or whatever it is so we don’t have commercials. We have Netflix. Seriously, we don’t watch much of Netflix. YouTube is worth the twenty bucks a month.

I just wish I could get the discovery channel, discovery HD or motortrend TV or whatever they call it now, and maybe the history channel.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am really tiring of all these cut the cord threads.

Here's a wild idea: Don't read them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Netflix just jacked up rates too.

They figure they have everyone by the balls with all the stay-at-home crap and movie theaters, concert venues and other entertainment avenues closed down or severely limited in most of the country. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
last man standing, we get some buffering, just a bit aggravating.

As far as the 007 channel, I first found it in Jan. ‘19. I like to be able to watch Bond anytime I want to unplug.

I haven’t watched very many other streaming channels, exceptions being TUBI, Crackle, Peacock, TCL and Roku itself. Too many hills in WV or I’d hook up an OTA antenna. We’re down to paying $60. a month. Don’t miss cable one bit.
Good luck your way.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Personally, I don't get Hulu and YouTube TV at $65/mo. We're paying about half that for an OTA TV DVR subscription + Netflix + Amazon Prime + PBS Passport + OAN, and the AP fee gets us free more-or-less 2-3 day shipping from Amazon.

I get that $65/mo. is still a helluva lot less than a cable TV subscription, but, still... nearly $800/year... for TV?

To each their own, but that seems like a lot to me. Heck, I'm not even happy about what we're already spending.

I hear ya. We have HULU live because where I live we can't get an OTA signal. The HULU account is in my wife's name. If it was up to me I'd cancel it. I hate the damn TV. I bet she doesn't tell me about the rate increase. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
After I cut the cord I decided that there was no way I was going to pay for any streaming service. I can live with some commercials which I always mute. And not having the latest and greatest, which in my view are few and far between, from Hollyweird and their SJW writers.

Only cost we have is our internet 100/10 connection which is plenty fast with zip buffering.

So here's what we live with and it is just fine:

RokuTV streaming channels (free content only):

tubi
YouTube
plutoTV
Roku Channel
Filmrise
Favesome
xumo
popcormflix
crackle
Plex
Watch Free Flix
FreebieTV
Dust
CW Seed
The CW
Newsmax
America's Voice
The First
Weathernation
NewsOn
Free Movies Now!
Strirr
Movies Plus
Outside TV
soma fm
peacock
PBS
Tune In
iHeart radio
NASA
Dolby

And OTA:

KOTA-TV RAPID CITY, SD
03-1 7.3 ABC-HD ABC "KOTA Territory"
03-2 7.5 Circle
03-3 7.6 Justice True Crime Network
KEVN-TV RAPID CITY, SD
07-1 7.4 FOX-HD FOX "Black Hills Fox"
KBHE-TV RAPID CITY, SD
09-1 26.3 SDPB-1 PBS "SDPB"
09-2 26.4 SDBP-2 World Channel
09-3 26.5 SDPB-3 Create
09-4 26.6 SDPB-4 PBS Kids 24/7
09-5 26.7 SDPB-5 Audio "SDPB Radio"
09-6 26.8 SDPB-6 Audio "SDPB Classical"
KCLO-TV RAPID CITY, SD
15-1 16.3 KCLO CBS "KELOLAND Television"
15-2 16.5 KCLO-CW CW+ "Black Hills CW"
15-3 16.4 ION ION
15-4 16.6 Escape Court TV Mystery
KNBN RAPID CITY, SD
21-1 21.1 KNBNNBC NBC "News Center 1"
21-2 21.2 KNBN-MyTV My-TV
KHME RAPID CITY, SD
23-1 2.1 KHME-DT Me-TV
23-2 2.2 KHMEDT2 Heroes & Icons
23-3 2.3 KHMEDT3 Start TV
23-4 2.4 KHMEDT4 Decades
KRPC-LP RAPID CITY, SD
33-1 33.2 HRTLND Heartland
33-2 33.4 RTV Retro TV
33-3 33.6 REVN Rev'n
33-4 33.8 ACTION Action Channel
33-5 33.10 FAMILY The Family Channel

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We switched to HULU a little over a year ago. Almost a month after we get the $10 rate hike. Now its another $10. Its really starting to eat into the savings from cable. We were only saving about $30 a month, unless cable also raised prices too.

We switched internet from comcast to fios so we had to buy a new router and add a roku for bedroom which added to our costs.

I want to switch back to cable but the wife refuses to keep switching services. HULU live tv user interface not user friendly and I hate you can only go though the channels alphabetically. Its getting to the point I would rather pay the extra money for cable and the convenience.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife misses being able to pause show. We are saving over a hundred a month and I don't miss cable at all.
We can pause OTA shows but usually watch Pluto

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We can also stream from our local library

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I think Google has the best user interface, when you pair the Google listening device with YouTubeTV. I hate the intrusive spying of Google, though, so I ditched all my Google hardware. I thought Hulu would be better, with its inability to listen directly, and $10 less also. It's only $10, but we all try to stand on principles like finding the best deal.

Anyway, I will attempt to live off the free streaming services on my AppleTV, and OTA.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post