SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Real Estate Photographers - The Used Car Salesmen of the Real Estate Industry.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Estate Photographers - The Used Car Salesmen of the Real Estate Industry. Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
PH first let me say that you’re doing a great thing by helping your grandson move back to Maine. I know that this will bring you comfort having family closer.

I also appreciate your take on various things in life. As one former New Englander to another I can relate to your rants..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
I do real estate photos part-time and I make a point of taking "real" and accurate photos. I too hate when photos are shopped to death and make the house look great when it is a dump.

I also use matterport 3d tours in addition to regular photography. This technology does a great job of showing the house in an accurate light.

I used to straighten up homes for lazy homeowners who couldn't be bothered to do so before the photos. That, I will never do again. If you don't have time to help your house look presentable and clean in order to sell it then oh well. I am not doing it for you and the photos will reflect your lack of effort and upkeep. In addition your selling price will very likely reflect your efforts or lack thereof.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The deceptive language in listing is another treat. All Executive homes. I guess nothing for the blue collar guy. Fixer upper. Great schools, desirable neighborhood. Nobody really tells it like it is. You know, not much gunfire during the day, drug dealing limited etc.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Just be glad you can find a house for under $300k out there.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
if they have kids don't forget to use a pedophile locator, usually found on the city or county police website

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
As a part-time real estate photographer, how exactly are wide-angle photos “misrepresenting” the property?

A wide-angle lens is used to show most, if not all, of a room in a single photo. Do you want to see a picture of the kitchen or do you want to see a picture of the sink and counter, a picture of the stove and fridge, and a picture of the doorway and dishwasher?

You might have an argument if things were being materially changed (photoshopping out utility poles, the storm drainage pond in the backyard, or a roof that needs replacing).

If you don’t understand scale and two-dimensional representations of three-dimensional spaces is that on the photographer? You see a “standard” 6-8 foot long sofa in a room that almost covers the entire wall, but because of the perspective you “think” the wall is 15’ long? How many 12’ sofas have you seen in a modest home? You think a home listed at 1400 sq ft is going to have a 500 sq ft kitchen?

As another post said, yes - photos are meant to draw attention to schedule a showing. No professional is trying to mislead anyone, that would be a waste of everyone’s time.

Also, FYI MANY agents take their own photos because they don’t want to pay a photographer. To be fair, in those instances it is more likely the crappy cellphone pics lead to less interest and little attention than it does to eager interest because it looks “too good”.

As for the basement horror story, if something is truly not as listed, have your agent address it with the multiple listing service. The one in my area cracks down hard on misrepresented properties either by description or photos. Fines and loss of listing privileges are not unheard of.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I think we've checked the cape off the list. Many things to like, but age and work needed tip the scales.

Scheduled to look at a 1980 stick built. Further away from us, but closer to decent-sized city while still being rural, bigger lot.

And more money...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Could be worse. Could be trapezoids.

This isn't Star Trek. I'm sure their race has nothing to do with it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I dabble in real estate photography. I wrote a blog post about it for my wife's real estate blog.

https://www.liveworkoc.com/hom...os-to-sell-your-home

You can see a side by side comparison of a professionally shot photo and a pretty good cell phone photo (Pixel 2, highest rated cell phone camera by DXO Mark).

I wide angle lens actually looks more natural. Your eyes are side by side, and has a pretty wide field of view.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I think it is a myth that people buy houses based on pictures. No sane person will do that. Pretty pictures are for RE agents and maybe sellers, not serious buyers.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, do some real estate photography. Before I even go to a site, I give the realtor a four-page document with plain-English recommendations on preparing a home for photographs. I'm very surprised that so many seem to ignore the recommendations and want things shot as-is, but then Photoshopped to remove "debris". I refuse to remove such junk and to make a Yugo look like a Mercedes. After all, it's my reputation as a photographer on the line, and my copyright attached to each photo.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: February 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
I think it is a myth that people buy houses based on pictures. No sane person will do that. Pretty pictures are for RE agents and maybe sellers, not serious buyers.

Good photos attract more prospective buyers than crappy, cell phone photos, by far.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: February 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
well, they attract more people that like to look at pictures and houses, that's true. serious buyers look right through such stuff.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Looked at another place yesterday.

Pictures were spot on. Attractive without being glitzy.

40 year old house that's been lived in and showed it in the fine details.

Well maintained, great location, large lot, reasonable price. It'd be perfect for Grandson and his family.

But, it's been on the market 2 days and we were the 3rd showing with another scheduled after we left. Being close to the State Capital, 3 minutes from the Interstate yet rural (gentleman farmers and the horsey set) I expect it'll go quick, and he has to get his place under contract before he can make an offer.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
e has to get his place under contract before he can make an offer.

Why not make an offer contingent on the sale of his current home? A buyer is likely to take other offers first, but you don't have a chance at all if you don't try.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
e has to get his place under contract before he can make an offer.

Why not make an offer contingent on the sale of his current home? A buyer is likely to take other offers first, but you don't have a chance at all if you don't try.

I'll pass that on to him, thanks.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: my wife sells real estate.

If those complaining only know what it was really like in that business.
Wait until you're the person that wants or needs to sell your house. You'll want every trick in the book to be used to make your property present well and to sell for the most money. Every business is like that.
That doesn't excuse sellers or their agents that do things that are unethical and intentionally misrepresent.
Your agent should be a person that knows their market to guide you and you should be a person that knows how to search out and find that person.
It's likely not your cousin or best friend or the agents that suck you in promising well below market fee's. Do it on your own so you don't pay anyone a commission? It can happen but your in the wild west in that case and better be really lucky or be prepared to take a big haircut.
Just like buying a firearm, you have to use at least some common sense and educate yourself first. Go randomly visit ten local gun stores and tell me how many are full of competent, completely honest people.
For most this is a huge amount of money. For many it's the most they ever spend on anything in their entire lifetime, by far.
Even here, where we have Para and his helpers, and the other members, somebody occasionally slips through and tries to do people wrong. We are blessed here to have someone monitoring buyers and sellers and setting clear rules that are enforced. There is no guardian angel (like here) watching over you in the real world.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post