SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Keyhole" Mounts - My Nemesis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Keyhole" Mounts - My Nemesis Login/Join 
posted
I am not the handiest guy on the planet but the past few years I have been making a big effort to take on more home improvement projects myself, slow down, take my time and learn how to do shit right.

The one, single thing that gets me every time is when my wife buys shit to hang on the walls with the damn keyhole mounts....I end out mounting them crooked or having to make several attempts to do it.

Is there an easy way to do this that I am missing???

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you're talking about items that have two. Frequently, the height of the keyholes is not even. I always measure the top of the keyhole to the top of the frame and adjust the hanger placement as needed.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'm guessing you're talking about items that have two. Frequently, the height of the keyholes is not even. I always measure the top of the keyhole to the top of the frame and adjust the hanger placement as needed.

You are correct...the current headache is a POS coat rack that was made in India and not only do the two holes look uneven they also appear to be pushed in

I swear my wife does this just to piss me off

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Shops at Pier One, does she?

BTDT.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Use a level and T-square to get things right.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Use a 2' or 4' level and throw some painters tape on the narrow side. Hold the level against your mounting points and mark your level where you need to fasten to wall. Hold level on wall and mark accordginly.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Use a 2' or 4' level and throw some painters tape on the narrow side. Hold the level against your mounting points and mark your level where you need to fasten to wall. Hold level on wall and mark accordginly.

Thanks...this sounds so crazy that it might just work!

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Its not crazy. I hang a lot of shit, though I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its not crazy. I hang a lot of shit, though I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Ha...well, it sounds like it will work and might just save my marriage!

Thanks

posted Hide Post
I understand the level being used to mark the spacing, but not sure how that compensates for uneven mounting keyholes.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand the level being used to mark the spacing, but not sure how that compensates for uneven mounting keyholes.

That's an easy fix, throw in the trash or return.

NRA Life Member

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have a 4' level with adjustable hole markers, very handy. I'll see if I can find a link

https://www.target.com/p/black...10680782#lnk=sametab

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
See if she'll switch to Mlok mounts.

I hear that's what all the NAVSOCDEVGREENGRUSPEC guys use for their wall decorations.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You see those labels warning of the end of the civilized world if you don't use those, but use any sort of hanger wire?

Tear that shit off, screw in a couple small eyes and twist some good hanger wire on that. Hang it like a sane person, level the first time, enjoy a cold beer.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:Tear that shit off, screw in a couple small eyes and twist some good hanger wire on that. Hang it like a sane person, level the first time, enjoy a cold beer.

On a coat rack? Might be a little tricky to keep it balanced. Razz

Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
See if she'll switch to Mlok mounts.

I hear that's what all the NAVSOCDEVGREENGRUSPEC guys use for their wall decorations.

But only if its in FDE

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's an easy fix, throw in the trash or return.

It looks as if it is going back anyway...After looking at it and heeding some of the advice on here I noticed that the holes in back not full drilled out under the keyhole so a screw will not even go uo inside the notch fully and the keyholes are also "dented" in on the wide part meaning, even if I did get it on it would not be a tight fit in final placement.

Who knew India was not known for the fine quality woodworking and craftsmanship?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:Tear that shit off, screw in a couple small eyes and twist some good hanger wire on that. Hang it like a sane person, level the first time, enjoy a cold beer.

On a coat rack? Might be a little tricky to keep it balanced. Razz

4 eyes two wires.

Seriously the earlier advice to toss it was perfect.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Yep, those keyhole type mounting points suck. Your screw heads have to be perfect to make it work and their height is always different from one side to the next.

Careful measurement, painters tape,level and pencil to get it right the first time.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Yep, those keyhole type mounting points suck. Your screw heads have to be perfect to make it work and their height is always different from one side to the next.

Careful measurement, painters tape,level and pencil to get it right the first time.

For my birthday, my wife gave me a "self-centering" tape measure . It came with no instructions and I could not figure out the purpose of it. It had the regular numbers plus a second row of numbers that appeared to be random. Had to go on the net to find out the purpose. Turns out if you measure a picture frame at 29 inches, below the 29 it shows 14 1/2 , which tells you the midpoint of the frame. Helpful for many things, including hanging pictures, once you know how the thing works.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post