SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Foot surgery.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foot surgery. Login/Join 
Living In A Wild Place
posted
I have been told i need Chevron Osteotomy on my left foot. Anyone have experience or info on this surgery? Thanks for any inputs.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
My daughter just had a very similar surgery this last Monday.

She had a bone spur growth which grew into a large painful lump on her large toe knuckle. She is 14.

They opened her up and ground away the bone growth and cleaned up the joint edges a bit. All in all its a pretty easy recovery. She is in a half cast and crutches for almost 2 weeks. No weight on the foot at all. Then after 2 weeks she can be in a hard soled medical boot. Not sure how long she will have to be in that.

She was in quite a bit of pain the first 2 days. They gave her Norco which definitely helped a ton. But then it gave her really bad headaches. We took her off of that the third day and just went to Tylenol. After the 4th day she isnt on any pain meds at all. Almost a week now and she said it doesnt hurt at all anymore. So thats good.

I believe with your surgery they do something similar but a few more invasive steps for alignment. Possible screw in there? So probably a bit more pain and recovery than my daughters.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info and your thoughtful reply. I hope all is well for your daughters recovery.
I meet with the surgeon in a couple weeks for the details. Seems it will be 2 or 3 months recovery. Time for detail cleaning and reloading.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had it in both feet. No weight bearing. Good luck.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my best friends are podiatrists but many people think they are MD's. They are not. They went to podiatry school, not med school. Orthopedic surgeons often do foot sugery. Not saying one is better, just that they are not the same.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'm retired so can stay off of it is less of a problem. ulsterman did you have one at a time? DR is saying one this year and one next year or so.
My Dr is an Orthopedic surgeon so i'm hopin for the best.