SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    REAL zombies do NOT run! They shamble.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

REAL zombies do NOT run! They shamble. Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Their attributes aren't speed and cunning.
Their strengths are persistence and ever growing numbers.

At some point in the not so distant past, the storytellers went off the rails.

This is just the tradition with which I was raised. Smile

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What about the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead? The zoms were moving like marathon runners. Maybe we should call them zoombies.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
There have been walkers and runners for a lot of years. It's not new.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
World War Z? Freaky fast zombies... Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

The first time I recall seeing fast zombies was in 1985's "Return of the Living Dead" and its sequels, where many of the zombies can not only run, but talk and think too. But that's more of a zombie parody of sorts than a true traditional zombie film.

The first serious fast zombie movie I can recall is was 2002's "28 Days Later". And that seemed to set off a glut of fast zombie films in subsequent years.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
World War Z? Freaky fast zombies... Eek

In the movie. But not in the original book. The book has Romero-style slow zombies. As God intended.

(Matter of fact, the book - especially the full cast audiobook version - is leagues better than that poor excuse for a film. If you're a fan of zombies, you owe it to yourself to read World War Z, or better yet listen to the audiobook.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Are we talking Sean of the Dead zombies or 28 Days Later zombies?

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge zombie genre fan, but I like TWD, 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.

Regarding the two 28 movies, I don't think they really are zombie movies. The "dead", aren't. Quite alive, but infected with the Rage Virus.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
As others have said there are now different classes of zombie - the lumbering reanimated undead and now the alive but rage zombies. These zombies aren’t technically dead but have been infected by a virus which makes the homicidally insane.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
What about swimming zombies ?

I wonder why ditches/motes with alligators/piranhas aren't used as protection ....

Humm, will a zombie alligator attack a zombie ?

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
I think this is the best defense for any zombie type. Amblers, walkers, or runners should be thwarted with this. When the time comes and the masses are loading up on guns, ammo, food, and liquor......I'll be at the local gym hauling these off. Laugh at me now, but you just wait and see....... Big Grin

Posts: 2026 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Zombies don't have to swim, they just sink to the bottom and keep walking. The animals don't want to eat rotten flesh, they want fresh goodies so zombies are safe there. Treadmills only train the zombies to be better runners. Good ol' fashion killin's is the only definitive way to conquer the zombie apocalypse. Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out and shit.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The reason zombies can't run, is that they'd fall apart. If it runs, it's not a proper zombie.

Things that are dead, lack the fast twitch fiber necessary to get quick movement done.

"fast zombies" are just borrowing from the horror of being attacked by pack animals. Boring.

The horror of the undead, is that they are a wall of unending unkillable flesh. It doesn't need to move quickly, it will overwhelm you with time and numbers.

The slow/fast zombie thing is dumb, and it is the fast zombie assholes fault for corrupting a horror genre.

Fast moving things may be infected with a deadly disease, but they aren't dead.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
I think this is the best defense for any zombie type. Amblers, walkers, or runners should be thwarted with this. When the time comes and the masses are loading up on guns, ammo, food, and liquor......I'll be at the local gym hauling these off. Laugh at me now, but you just wait and see....... Big Grin

You gotta love a guy who thinks on his feet! Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I think you'd really hate the T-800s from Zombieland: Double Tap

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Chinese zombies hop.

https://youtu.be/bVGJ_PwuJck

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Don't anybody add that Chinese zombies also sing.

Don't you dare go there.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Fast zombies are a plot device to speed up movies.

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
The reason zombies can't run, is that they'd fall apart. If it runs, it's not a proper zombie.

Things that are dead, lack the fast twitch fiber necessary to get quick movement done.

"fast zombies" are just borrowing from the horror of being attacked by pack animals. Boring.

The horror of the undead, is that they are a wall of unending unkillable flesh. It doesn't need to move quickly, it will overwhelm you with time and numbers.

The slow/fast zombie thing is dumb, and it is the fast zombie assholes fault for corrupting a horror genre.

Fast moving things may be infected with a deadly disease, but they aren't dead.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Zombies can run for the first few weeks. After that they lose energy, the muscles and tendons break down, and they shuffle everywhere they go. Before long, they grind their feet down to nubs and then they have a real hard time getting around and eventually fall over and then crawl on their arms.

True story.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Zombies can run for the first few weeks. After that they lose energy, the muscles and tendons break down, and they shuffle everywhere they go. Before long, they grind their feet down to nubs and then they have a real hard time getting around and eventually fall over and then crawl on their arms.

True story.

Yep, I read that on the inner net, its true.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Ever see someone on Flakka or bath salts? That’s about as real life as you’ll see. Not only are they fast and violent, they have superhuman strength. And they’ll eat your face off.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post