SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cultural Appropriation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cultural Appropriation Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I seriously see nothing wrong with it. She wasn't mocking the culture. She took on something identified with a culture and wore it. It shows admiration. She didn't mangle it.

I'm Chinese and I don't have a problem with her wearing the dress either. I also think it conotates admiration for a style of dress.

However, I did find the pose with her friends pressing their hands together very much a culturally mocking gesture...it is much like folks who pull up the edges of their eyes for that "Asian Slant"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Being accused of “cultural appropriation” has about as much effect as being called a racist-which anymore is zero fucks given.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A pretty girl in a pretty dress, no more-no less, hand clasp or not.

I could maybe perhaps might consent to 'appropriation' if by symmerty Yukio Mishama's portrait or Kurosawa's Ran is included. But that would be a great waste of time. So, no.

Keep being lovely.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a Cherokee friend who made a good point on the issue of "cultural appropriation."

He said that there is nothing wrong with cultural appropriation. That is what happens when people from different cultures interact. Should we go back to Roman numerals since using 1,2,3, etc would be appropriating Arabic culture? Roll Eyes

But the flip side is that there such a thing as cultural misappropriation. If you take an element of a foreign culture and you honor it, there is no issue. But if you don't honor the tradition from which that cultural artifact or practice comes from, that's where you go wrong. For example, my NDN friend has no problem with white people (or anyone else, for that matter) making their own regalia and dancing traditional dances as long as they learn properly, exercise proper protocol, and basically do it with a good heart. Cultural appropriation is actually the act of appreciating another culture enough to do what they do. He does not like it when people wear regalia and hop around like idiots for the purpose of making fun of indians like himself.

Here's another analogy: I don't think Americans would have a problem with Chinese people wearing civil war era uniforms for the purpose of putting on actual civil war re-enactments. I personally think it's kind of cool that someone would go to that kind of length to understand our history, tactics, decision-making etc. But If Chinese people dressed up in Confederate and Union uniforms hoping around on one foot shouting "Look, we're stupid American barbarians who can only solve problems with guns!" there would be an issue.

As far as the qipao-as-prom-dress-girl goes, I have no problem with the dress. The hand gesture demonstrates a bit of ignorance: the palms together thing is more Thai/Indian than Chinese. It's more of a "if-you're-going-to-do-it-do-it-right" issue for me, but if she learns from it, no big deal.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think there is perhaps an element of intent as well. I wouldn't expect one to be an expert in appropriating some cultural aspect. I'm generally okay with something wrong based on a superficial understanding as long as there was no malicious intent albeit in a perhaps a little tacky exhibition.

Honoring without full awareness is okay. For example, when visiting shrines and temples in Asia, I don't really know the protocols and manners. I didn't even know the difference between a shrine and temple for awhile. Yet, it was nice to visit and appreciate. I'd try to mimic others so as not to be too out of place but I knew I was getting it wrong.

As with anything, there is a learning curve.

But agree that malicious intent or poking fun at a culture is generally not acceptable.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A lot of people just simply need to get over themselves.

I'm 1/2 Polish. I should demand reparations from anyone and everyone whose ever told a Polish joke. I'm offended dammit and I deserve to compensated while you all deserve to be shamed incessantly!

Or, the more appropriate action...grow the fuck up.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Just from the ones whose jokes you understood

:-)

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
If people were to stop culturally appropriating Chinese Food, for example, rest assured the headines would not be congratulatory and the nitwits complaining about this would be much more angry. It’s a no win situation with the whores of modern journalism.

Americans used to shake their heads over nonsense like this, blame it on backwardness, and be thankful it was essentially confined to those who didn’t have the benefit of education and were in the unfortunate position of being used as pawns by despots to preserve their postions of power and influence. We hoped to help them to rise to our level. Then mass media realized mayhem arouses more interest than good order and as such sells better and, after all, they’re in the business of peddling their wares. Now they’re the new breed of despots and consider everyone pawns. Go figure.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Just read where the response from Mainland China is very positive. They see it as a beautiful girl appreciating their culture.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Cultural Appropriation....

/sarc on
So....no more knives and forks in China. And, hey, they tell me the country with the largest number of English speakers is China. No more of that!

I seem to forget all the mention of the computer development that took place in China. So, hand in the microprocessors and back to the abacus, dudes.
/sarc off

In reality, people have been learning from other cultures since travel began, and that's a good thing. Did Marco Polo 'culturally appropriate' pasta? Did the folks in the third world growing crops scientifically and increasing food production 'culturally appropriate' the techniques?

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
And as it turns out, not a single actual Chinese person was offended of course. Just these little butt-hurt loser American SJW's with smart phones and too much time on their hands.

Roll Eyes

quote:

When Keziah Daum sported a traditional, Chinese cheongsam dress to her senior prom in Utah last month, she likely never intended her photos to go viral or be slammed as a “closet racist” over accusations of cultural appropriation. But days later, the 18-year-old began winning praise from an unexpected source — Chinese audiences and social media users.

On May 1, an article on Wenxue City News covering Daum’s story largely voiced applause for her look, the English-language outlet South China Morning Post reported.

“Very elegant and beautiful! Really don’t understand the people who are against her, they are wrong!” a supporter chimed in of the cheongsam, otherwise known as a qiapo. “I suggest the Chinese government, state television or fashion company invite her to China to display her cheongsam!”

“It is not cultural theft. It is cultural appreciation and cultural respect,” another agreed.

According to the Post, Daum’s story has been making waves across Weibo, a Twitter-like platform popular in China.

“Culture has no borders. There is no problem, as long as there is no malice or deliberate maligning. Chinese cultural treasures are worth spreading all over the world,” one user mused...

Utah teen shamed over 'racist' prom dress wins praise in China

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post