SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Best Buy Sucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Buy Sucks Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Anyone recently purchased anything..or attempt to lately? They want you to do everything online. Do they not know not everyone has this capability? My neighbor doesn't have a computer. Anyway, their phone tree asks you all freakin kinds of questions, then tells you to go online to check stock. That a store rep can't provide that valuable information. Fuck them. Ever heard of customer service? Guess it no longer exists in our online, COVID infested fucked up world. I guess I'm pretty much done shopping at their unfriendly places of business.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes they do.

Bunch of ignorant asses working there with no customer service whatsoever and zero concept that their days are numbered.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yoop Best Buy? Shut down. Closed. Last time I went in, handful of customers browsing while all the employees stood around in small groups chatting or playing on their phones.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We bought a desk top pc at BB for the wife yesterday

I wanted her to check out the all in one desk tops, She knew she already wanted an HP. She looked, we wrote down some specs. I checked inventory, boxes are out under display shelves and they had the two she liked in stock. No one asked if we needed help. We left to mull it over and get some lunch

She decided which one she wanted, we went back, she stayed in the car while I inside. I found the one in a box, it had been opened, found another that was unopened, took it to register and checked out. Eezy peazy

But yeah, for any help whatsoever, they suck donkey ballz

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BB is useful when one wants to try out a mouse, laptop keyboard and screen, and phone. For a while they were matching Amazon prices, but returns seem to be more of a hassle.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a computer from them in store last week. The sales guy couldn't have been more helpful. It was a good experience.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
No problems with them locally. But I have been buying online, and doing’ their curbside checkout. They screwed me last week (not really) as I ordered 2 smoke/co detectors for pickup. Then I got an email stating, more or less, they only had 1 so I had to pickup the other one from the next closest store. I love the place because I utilize the fuck out of their 0% card. Over the last 2 months, I’ve bought 5-6 video games for 1/3 the usual cost. 2 new 4k monitors for my office computer which were $150 off on each. New router for the house, and the smoke detectors. And a new 49” Sony panel for my surveillance system. The router they didn’t have in stock locally, they had to ship it to me. Everything else was local pickup and ready within an hour after purchasing online.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been in one since they threw me out of a store in '99. The AH salesman was insistent on a service contract. After the FIFTH solicitation, I became cussed him out. I took my 2000 elsewhere.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retail sales these days is half a nightmare.

Giant retailers can't keep people , they do not want to train them, customers are less tolerant than ever.

Small rock solid retailers are struggling to compete w/ on line companies.

I am SO glad that I am no longer in the buisness.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Anyone recently purchased anything..or attempt to lately? They want you to do everything online. Do they not know not everyone has this capability? My neighbor doesn't have a computer. Anyway, their phone tree asks you all freakin kinds of questions, then tells you to go online to check stock. That a store rep can't provide that valuable information. Fuck them. Ever heard of customer service? Guess it no longer exists in our online, COVID infested fucked up world. I guess I'm pretty much done shopping at their unfriendly places of business.

The demise of retail with any real meaningful service and support has been eroding this way for quite a while.
It's not the Wu Flu that initiated it ~ it is the every growing amount of technology, inflation of wages, high overhead cost just to name a few factors that lead to this erosion of retail.
Very sad.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
They've sucked for a long time. I only go there if i know exactly what i want and i know it’s priced acceptably and in stock. I never go if i have product questions and trying to figure out what to buy. I have not been to one in at least 5 years. It’s a retailer of last resort to me. Other perhaps OP. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just in BB on Wednesday. I knew what I needed and found it myself.
2 people at the door when I walked in. No acknowledgement. Walked back to where they had the modems and picked one out. Most of the employees were in the cell phone section looking at phones and playing on theirs. A few people being helped there.
Went up front, paid and left. They did have what I needed but customer service is horrid.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, we replaced a TV that was more than 9 years old. In the "local" brick and mortar establishment.

A wonderfully knowledgeable, helpful, friendly courteous, kind and patient young woman helped us to understand the newer technology, the features and choices among brands that suited our needs and wants, and efficiently completed the transaction after a low pressure, no stress sales experience.

And the young man who delivered and installed the unit was equally a championship quality subcontractor.

Sorry about your experience.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quit using them 20+ years ago when I could buy something off the website and pick it up in store but I could not pay the same price in the store for the same item. I think it was a CD or DVD. The local one has been closed for several years due to structural issues with the building but there are a couple of others in the area.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I was at our local BB last week with some questions regarding a home theater system. The young man helping us was friendly and helpful. When he got stumped, he went and got the actual general manager for help. At one point, they pulled their demo Klipsch stereo system down and out for us all to look at and talk about. I was very impressed with their CS but I live, in essence, in a college/tech town.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
Yes and unfortunately they got the exclusive on the NVIDIA RTX 3000 series founders edition GPU's.

Which they sell online only, and get snapped up by scalper bots. They should make them in store only, and actually drive some traffic into their stores. They would still sell them all, just not in 10 seconds after posting stock.

I am bitter about this. I really want a RTX 3080, but don't want to reward scalpers.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm leery of using my Debit card online. The item I wanted wasn't in stock. So I go into the BB thinking the purchase would be through a more secure business connection and the item sent to the store. When I glanced at the screen of the computer department, they had the exact same web page on the screen. I said, "Stop immediately!", then thanked them for their time. When they asked what was wrong, they couldn't understand my concerns. Finally just said, I can do what they were doing at home, then walked out.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Best Buy is just Amazons show room now. The only reason to shop there is for open box deals IMHO.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Best Buy service has been shit for a long time, long before the rise of the internet.

At my old job we would get BB gift certificates for meeting safety goals, etc, so they would pile up and I would have to go in to use them. Went in for a CD burner (that tells you how long ago) and told the employee what I wanted and what I had. He started to read the back of the boxes. gee, I can do that. He then handed me one and said this is what you need and walked away. I look at the box and it clearly states it wont work with my version of Windows. Idiot.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brick & mortar electronics has been in steep decline for 20+ year now, getting shit service at Best Buy or, whatever remains shouldn't a surprise.

I remember when Crutchfield's catalogs came out and seeing their prices and options, then compared that to Good Guys and Circuit City...yup things were changing. Low and behold Best Buy and Fry's attempt to hold the line as the last bastion of big-box electronics store they've been hanging-on by their fingernails, as creditors come banging on their doors; meanwhile Amazon and Monoprice continue to grow. If there's an industry where the margins are worst than the firearms industry, it's electronics. The folks working at these places are no more talented or, ambitious than the folks working the car rental desk, the local cable provider or, cell service company.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post