SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Greeting card prices
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greeting card prices Login/Join 
posted
$6.99 for a freaking card... I dont need a card that requires a battery or has some 3D pop up inside. I dont need a card that is rhinestone encrusted or has butterflies glued all over. I need a nice card for the specific event. Ill be damned if Im paying $7 for a piece of paper that will be thrown away in a few days.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I've started just writing a paragraph that describes/says what I want to say and folding it up - write happy bday or happy anniv. etc on the outside.

Back to what I learned as a kid...

It's more heartfelt anyway, so the womenfolk like it just fine (and I rarely if ever send a card to a guy).

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
In basic training, our Drill Sergeants had a rule where if you got an electronic card, you had to sing and dance along with it in front of the platoon.

What guys ended up doing was buying them for each other and sending it to each other from basic training to basic training...

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I pick mine up at Dollar Tree for 2/$1

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped buying these a while ago...It seemed very wasteful to spend $5.00 +/- on a piece of paper that would get read once and then tossed. I have made exceptions for deaths and important milestones.

I have also told my family to please not send me cards for the above reasons.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might search EBay for

mccamarc

A good friend, she makes each card completely by hand, charges about $2.75 with free shipping for each and I bet she loses money on every one.

She is a retired Chief Master Sergeant USAF and does this as a hobby. Great person, too.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
On our ‘Special Days’ like birthdays, anniversaries, Mother’s Day, etc., my wifecand I go to the store, pick out an appropriate card and say....”if I bought you a card, I’d get you this one.”

Then we put them back and walk away $15 richer. About half of a nice meal.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
75% of the places that sell gift cards , ( around here anyway)
have a sign that reads
"gift cards in plastic $1.99 "

you are not looking in the right place

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I thought it was crazy when cards went over $2.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptruck:
I pick mine up at Dollar Tree for 2/$1

Agree 100%, I find very nice cards at dollar tree 2 for a buck. I stopped buying greeting cards a year or so ago when I found myself spending 30 to 40 bucks to buy everyone Christmas cards. Cards have become ridiculous expensive for what they are.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's a complete racket.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, or 7.50$
First they start making 90% of them in China, then they raise the price to 6-7$ each.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
electronic cards in basic......when I was in basic, the mail came via Pony Express. NOTHING was electronic. Well, not quite Pony Express, but you still had to pay extra for Air Mail.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
On our ‘Special Days’ like birthdays, anniversaries, Mother’s Day, etc., my wifecand I go to the store, pick out an appropriate card and say....”if I bought you a card, I’d get you this one.”

Then we put them back and walk away $15 richer. About half of a nice meal.

Mike

I like that. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I went to the Hallmark store a couple of years ago and looked at the pricing, clerk came up to me and asked if I needed help, I asked if they do financing here to pay for the card. She was not amused.

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Dollar stores if a card is needed. Texts or emails otherwise. Phone call for the special ones.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
I went to the Hallmark store a couple of years ago and looked at the pricing, clerk came up to me and asked if I needed help, I asked if they do financing here to pay for the card. She was not amused.

Hallmark Cards is very anti 2-A, the Hall family tried very hard to keep concealed carry from happening in Kansas.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I remember Clark Howard mentioning that he and his wife put the cards away, pull them out again next year and re-use them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a complete racket.

mattress's there's "the Racket"

you know the exact item you are getting with the cards,
but a mattress ,
all you know is what they tell you.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Electronic cards? A little bit of glitter is all that's needed to fancy up a card.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post