SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gun Auction Site Madness
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Auction Site Madness Login/Join 
Picture of TexasRaider
posted
Ok despite the insanity of the current panic buying/price gouging that's consuming the hobby, not to mention the numerous fraudulent asshats C/P other people's auction photos and putting duplicate but fake auctions up, it's just no fun browsing for guns now. I know, I know, this is a common and old bitch. But today I was reminded of another type of weasel. The one that puts some scrawl mark on a pistol and breathless barks "RARE!! RARE!!" hoping some nube will swallow their transparently stupid pitch. And they usually do.

The case in point is a Sig P239 for sale over on one of the large auction sites. Gee, I didn't know SEAL teams issued pistols for undercover work! And if they did, it makes sense they'd emblazon the slide with the name of the military command under which they work... IN HUGE FREAKING LETTERS THAT CAN'T BE MISSED FROM 15 FEET AWAY!!

Oh yah, no doubt this is legit. Wonder if it has the special Adamantium firing pin and Duranium barrel with hyper-accelerating lands and grooves? That makes it extra killy, you know. And it'd be nice to get some of the SEAL's super secret Corbomite transwarp hollowpoints that displace time and space and erases the bad guy's soul.

That'd be real nice to have by the bedside at night...

Posts: 796 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolute BS! Buts its gratifying to see someone bid 805 bucks since I bought a 239 sometime back for 380.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...it probably is pretty rare.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Damn, that is worse than the X-FIVE that is emblazoned upon the new Sig that I will not buy for that very reason.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the slashy 'X-Five' callout is a bit much, kinda...oh, I don't know.. boyracer? A bit tacky, reminds me of back when GM liked to put checkered flag decals on Z24's or Monte Carlo pace cars, LOL!

Posts: 796 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at that same auction and thought, this is total BS trying to trick noobs out of $$.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Well...it probably is pretty rare.

1 of 1, from what I hear...

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Whenever I hear rare, custom or many extras I immediately shut the ad and go elsewhere.

I do the same when the seller lists the things he added on and their MSRP.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I will remember that sellers handle and avoid anything else he is selling. He appears to be prolific.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
..and people wonder why I debadged my sedan. It's one thing to have dealer crap on it. It's another to have the auto makers badges too large and conspicuous. I paid for transportation and not to become a billboard.

No doubt fits why I like my Dan Wessons with their bare 1911 slides. No extraneous crap like an attorney prompted safety warning. Big Grin

That P239 is hideous. Eek

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And... Its not P220 P224 P225 P226 P228 P229 Elite Scorpion Legion. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And... Its not P220 P224 P225 P226 P228 P229 Elite Scorpion Legion. Roll Eyes

In titanium Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced that half these sellers on GB are getting their buddies to shill bid up prices for them.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm convinced that half these sellers on GB are getting their buddies to shill bid up prices for them.

I've often thought that myself. I recently saw a brand new, unfired in-the-box P239 Scorpion. I know the current prices are crazy, but I'd been wanting one so I bid a ridiculously high amount, or what I thought was a ridiculously high amount. A couple of hundred north of a grand.

The final bid price? $1995!! Those are damned nice pistols but there is no way in Hell any P239 is worth two G's!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Whenever I hear rare, custom or many extras I immediately shut the ad and go elsewhere.

Would you do that for an HK91 with factory collapsing stock and triangle fore grip, a complete black A1 stock, another full stock set in jungle green, (both with the buffer), a clawmount, and four steel mags all unmodified factory HK? Just curious. Razz

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when I am looking, as soon as I see the words scarce or rare or any such thing, I pass without looking.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Ebay has this same problem with "rare".

I once searched the word "rare" on Ebay. Got like 6,000,000 results. Then I searched the word "Booger". Got about 5,000 results.

Which goes to prove on Ebay at least, boogers are rarer than rare....

posted Hide Post
I believe that is the same seller that has done similar things to his other guns he sells. He dresses them up,(scribes different things on the slide), to increase the desire for them but in actuality they are no different than any other pistol out there, He is preying on the new shooters and some people fall for it unfortunately..

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't know SEAL teams issued pistols for undercover work!

Actually, they kinda did for awhile, and confirmed by DocSteve.

quote:
I believe that is the same seller that has done similar things to his other guns he sells. He dresses them up,(scribes different things on the slide), to increase the desire for them but in actuality they are no different than any other pistol out there, He is preying on the new shooters and some people fall for it unfortunately..

Ahh..you’re thinking of Rocke Guns.
Like this POS post...On top of the outlandish engraving and BS story, Dude either doesn’t know what sequential means or didn’t notice the slides are on the wrong pistols. Roll Eyes
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900732501

The pistol in the OP was most likely part of a group buy by a Team. More commemorative than anything. DocSteve’s squadron did a group buy - I forget what but do remember it was in 40.
RHINOWSO’s did a run of 220 Carry as well with the logo on the slide. I think it was sold to a forum member as I recall.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Here's another place that mentions the P239 used by SEAL Team 6, https://www.americanspecialops...special-ops-weapons/
As Snake207 mentioned, the one in OP is very likely from a group buy, and SIG did the engraving, which they do all the time.

Oh yeah, Rocke Guns is a joke. I never believe whatever the hell they claim.

Now, if you see this P228 on GB and seller claiming extreme rarity, many of you would likely blow it off as seller bullshiting unsuspecting/ignorant buyers.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post