SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spell Check Rant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spell Check Rant Login/Join 
posted
My first rant, so don't know if this is monumental or insignificant?
Just noticed in a response to a post, that a proper name, Depoe Bay, the word Depoe was changed to Deposit!
Caught in this response that the same thing occurred again. Changed it so hopefully it will stay correct when I got the post button? Seems to happen, even if the word is spelled properly but upon posting, it changes?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Don’t know what you’re using to post, but on the Apple stuff there’s Auto-Correction, and Check Spelling.

Check Spelling doesn’t change anything, it just lets you know your word is not in its dictionary.

Auto-Correct will change what you typed, to what it thinks you meant.

I leave Check Spelling turned on, and turn off that Auto-Correct crap.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My spell checker makes me say things I didn't Nintendo.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
My spell checker makes me say things I didn't Nintendo.

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a love-hate relationship with spell check. Sometimes it is helpful for the rare occasions I have difficulty spelling a word, or adding a diacritic mark automatically (e.g., the accent mark to blasé or the umlaut to naïve). It annoys me when it doesn't recognize proper names or acronyms or when I intentionally misspell a word for a desired effect.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
If a spell checker could deal with the contagious use of loose when the writer means really lose it would be great. But it would need to decipher the context since both words are spelled correctly.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I was posting on a photography forum about my new 'Tamron' lens and it got changed to 'tampon'. Not the same.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And forget not the infamous punctuation;

Jim, please help my uncle, Jack, off the horse.
Jim, please help my uncle jack off the horse.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post