SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fraud Alert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fraud Alert Login/Join 
posted
On May 23 I posted a WTB regarding a P320 grip module. I made the mistake (which won't happen again) of showing my email address in the post. A few days later I received an email from jjbllb8080@gmail.com offering what I was looking for. We negotiated a price, and I sent a USPS money order which he received on 5/26. He acknowledged receipt of the funds, and promised to ship by 5/29, and sent an email on that date saying it was shipped....but giving no tracking number. I've asked twice for the tracking #, but no response. I googled the email address and learned that this "person" has been scamming WTB ads on numerous forums, even beyond gun forums. Jjbllb808 uses the name Renee Wick and an address in Jamestown NY. A search for that address returns info on a 1500 sq. ft. house with 11 occupants. Go figure. Just thought I'd pass this along. Live and Learn. George

Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11

Posts: 98 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker2713:
On May 23 I posted a WTB regarding a P320 grip module. I made the mistake (which won't happen again) of showing my email address in the post. A few days later I received an email from jjbllb8080@gmail.com offering what I was looking for. We negotiated a price, and I sent a USPS money order which he received on 5/26. He acknowledged receipt of the funds, and promised to ship by 5/29, and sent an email on that date saying it was shipped....but giving no tracking number. I've asked twice for the tracking #, but no response. I googled the email address and learned that this "person" has been scamming WTB ads on numerous forums, even beyond gun forums. Jjbllb808 uses the name Renee Wick and an address in Jamestown NY. A search for that address returns info on a 1500 sq. ft. house with 11 occupants. Go figure. Just thought I'd pass this along. Live and Learn. George

Rule of buying/selling is, if someone, who is not a member, contacts you to offer something, stay away. Same thing with new member with zero / one post doing such thing.

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131: I get that, and don't need an "after the fact" lesson on the rules of buying and selling.

The point of the post was a warning to others about an active scammer on web forums.

George

Posts: 98 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
12131: I get that, and don't need an "after the fact" lesson on the rules of buying and selling.

The point of the post was a warning to others about an active scammer on web forums.

George

There is no need to get snippy, brother. Sorry you got scammed, but the point of that general "lesson" is that it might be useful to others. Wink

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
[T]he point of that general "lesson" is that it might be useful to others.

And it might be.
Thanks to you and to walker2713 both for pointing all this out.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made the mistake of showing my email address in the post.

Repeating so others don't make the same mistake. Email is in your Profile and they have to register to see your Profile.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no need to get snippy, brother. Sorry you got scammed, but the point of that general "lesson" is that it might be useful to others.

No problem....but as you can imagine I'm just a little butthurt over this. I've been around the web as long as it's existed, bought and sold many items, mostly firearms related, on Gunbroker, Armslist and a number of forums. This is the first time I've been "done over" like this, and in hindsight I should have seen it coming. That's why your comments, though perhaps well intentioned, came across as gratuitously piling on.Cool

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Life lessons are precious, aren't they? Eek

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
I made the mistake of showing my email address in the post.

Repeating so others don't make the same mistake. Email is in your Profile and they have to register to see your Profile.

Exactly!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Life lessons are precious, aren't they? Eek

Yes, precious but not necessarily pleasant in the moment! Wink

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Might not hurt to file a police report and with the Postal Inspectors office. You never know.
Mail Fraud is a federal crime.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Might not hurt to file a police report and with the Postal Inspectors office. You never know.
Mail Fraud is a federal crime.

I'm on it...in contact this am with the Jamestown NY PD...they might have some interest in fraudsters operating out of their town. I don't expect much, but what the hey?

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Renee Wick is pretty easy to track down on the innerweb, for a scammer.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Renee Wick is pretty easy to track down on the innerweb, for a scammer.

Yep....found her on Facebook and other places.