SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Minor accident: Rant and a couple of questions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minor accident: Rant and a couple of questions Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Yeah you started out acting like a dick and continued to do so. One time I was rearened pulling out of the car dealership in my brand new car...even then I didn't act like an asshole. I'm sure things would have gone way different for you if you would have acted maturely and respectfully. You strike me as the kind of guy that comes to the ER and has a shit fit when the old lady having the heart attack gets a room before you and your paper cut. In all seriousness. Chill out, Shit happens. Next time resist being you and things will work out better.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You were a dick in the beginning.
You were a dick in the middle.
You were a dick at the end.
Today, you are still a dick.
Tomorrow, I think we all know what you will be.

I dont know why you posted what you did. (Leave old ladies alone)

Just an educated guess... millennial?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erikras:
Sunday afternoon my fiance and I were on our way home from her parents' in my 6mo old Honda Ridgeline. I approached a traffic circle and came to a stop to yield to passing traffic. As I slightly lifted my foot off the brake to creep up a couple feet, I saw a fire truck coming through the round-a-bout so I stopped again. The 73yr old woman in a brand new Camry behind me rear ended me. I believe I caught a glimpse of her on a cell phone, but can't be 100% sure.

We pulled off to the side of the road and I got out of my truck. She had her driver's window rolled down and I hollered "What the fuck, you stupid idiot?" (DICK) before I was even able to see her age or the damage to either vehicle. Yes, I overreacted in the heat of it. No, I shouldn't have yelled that. The woman immediately rolled her window back up and refused to talk to me. (Who would want to talk to you, after that DICK move, especially this little old lady, who most likely thought you were going to kill her.) I went back to my truck, got my phone to call the police. After getting off the phone with dispatch, I snapped a picture of her license plate and the VIN plate on her dash. (I've had people leave the scene of an accident TWICE so I wasn't taking chances.) She still wouldn't roll down her window to talk to me. (Good for her.)

A patrol sergeant from the local PD arrived a few minutes later and asked us to pull into a nearby parking lot. I pulled into the first spot and she parked many spaces away from me as if to keep her distance. (Any sane person would stay far away from you.) The officer asks me all the usual questions and then walks over and looks at her car and talks to her. He comes back and informs me that there is no damage on either vehicle so he's not sure what I want him to do. I inform him that the plastic trim on my rear bumper is damaged and you can clearly see where her car hit my trailer hitch cover. I told him I want a report for my insurance company in case there is any more hidden damage. Also, since the woman won't talk to me, I am yet to get any of her information. He returns to his Explorer to write up the report.

Meanwhile, a middle-aged man who I presume is the woman's son shows up and begins photographing her Camry from every angle. He then walks over to my Ridgeline and does the same. Front, side, rear, everything. I am conveniently standing in front of the rear license plate and refuse to move. (DICK) I ask him to not take pictures of my personal property. Yes, I'm being a dick, but I'm the one who just got rear ended and neither he nor her will say a word to me. (Cop is here. They don't need to talk to a dick.) The officer gets out of his Explorer and informs me that I must let him take pictures of my truck or else "you're not getting your report." WTF?!?! Isn't it his job to write an accident report? How can he give me that ultimatum? I begrudgingly step aside. (DICK)

After the officer finishes his paperwork in his truck, he returns the woman's ID and comes over to give me mine and give me his business card with the report number written on it. I ask why he isn't citing the woman when she's clearly at fault. He gets snippy with me and rambles off some Ohio Revised Code about how he doesn't have to cite anyone if he doesn't want. I reiterate the fact that she just rear ended me and is solely at fault. His reason? "What do you want? You got your report? All a ticket is going to do is add financial burden on her." I keep my mouth shut, but can't help but think "Isn't that the point of any kind of fine? Why issue speeding tickets then?" (DICK telling cop how to do his job.)

Normally, I have the utmost respect for law enforcement. That day I didn't. This guy wanted to make it seem like it was nothing but an inconvenience to him and refused to hold the at-fault party accountable. She gets to drive off scot-free. Monday afternoon I called the PD and had them email me the report. It stated "Absolutely no damaged to either vehicle was observable and no injuries reported. Both vehicles driven from scene. Report taken due to demand of unit #1's driver/owner." WTF! I clearly pointed out the damaged trim on my rear bumper!

So two questions:
First, does an LEO have to write an accident report if one is requested? Can they give an ultimatum such as allowing the guilty party to take photos of personal property? (You took pics of her car, and you wouldn't allow her (her son) to take pics of yours? WTF is your problem? Oh, oh, you're a DICK, after all.) Roll Eyes

Second, why the heck wouldn't you cite the at fault party for something as cut and dry as a rear-end collision?

All this DICKing could have been avoided, if DICK hadn't acted like a road rager right off the bat. It's a fucking minor accident. Roll Eyes
I sincerely hope you don't have such a short fuse in your everyday activities.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
What would she be cited for?
>snippage<
I don't think failure to be a good driver is an actual crime.

In AZ it's called:
----
28-701. Reasonable and prudent speed; prima facie evidence; exceptions

A. A person shall not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances, conditions and actual and potential hazards then existing. A person shall control the speed of a vehicle as necessary to avoid colliding with any object, person, vehicle or other conveyance on, entering or adjacent to the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to exercise reasonable care for the protection of others.
----
If you run into someone, you obviously failed to control your vehicle and were not doing a prudent speed.
OP, I've been pissed after being hit. It's better to not continue to show anger especially if you want other people that come into the situation to help you.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hollered what I did before I even saw the other driver

So, who is driving the other car would make a difference in your reaction?

Might want to look into that.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A few decades ago I was turning out of an access type road and did a similar tap on the cars bumper ahead. I had worked late, was tired, the car in front started to go, I turned my head 'assuming' he was going.

Well, he stopped & I tapped him at slow speed. I felt very bad, there was no to minimal damage to either vehicle. I expected him to be a bit 'assy', he was not.

He was very nice as I said sorry. He said no damage, no worries. We went our ways & it worked out fine.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Something to ponder.

When you wake up and engage the day, and you encounter an asshole, well, you've encountered and asshole.

When everyone you meet throughout the day is an asshole, well, guess what?

You're the asshole.

Justified. I love that quote.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Very timely. I was just lightly rear-ended yesterday while I was stopped at a red light on a busy road by a guy in a big ol' pickup truck, a new one that still had its temporary plates. I got a little annoyed when after I stepped out he apparently couldn't figure out the braking or transmission system of his new truck and nudged my car again when he was trying to reverse back a bit, and told him in a calm voice not to hit my car a third time. He managed to back up, I looked at my car, saw no damage on either vehicle, and told him no harm, no foul, we were good to go and not hold up traffic. He apologized profusely, said his wife had just told him a few minutes before of her diagnosis of breast cancer, implying that his focus and emotional state was understandably off. I've no idea if that was true or not, but he did seem pretty agitated and distracted. He pulled up next to me at the next light (I made sure to move over to the next lane when I was he was still behind me Eek ) and apologized again repeatedly, asked if I was sure I didn't need his info. I told him we were good, and that he had bigger priorities right now. He nodded slowly and thanked me.

There were a couple ways my incident could have gone, but in my case I chose the path of least resistance. After reading this thread, I'm even more pleased I did.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a cop, you see all types.

One guy who got rear ended was a compete and total jerk. Not much damage, but when I pulled up he pounded on my hood "Look what this stupid asshole did!" He got a ticket.

Another time, the guy who got hit took the "No problem, accidents happen" approach. Ask me not to ticket the other driver, "Doesn't need that on his record".

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Have to jump in here. Not going to deny the OP behaved a little badly, which he admits. Just a couple of things to note as someone who has been involved in accidents with older people (and younger) and lived in MA in very high traffic areas for most of my life. 1) Some people do not have a license or insurance. Some old people should not be driving. 2) People lie. I have had people that hit me claim that I hit them to the insurance company. I have heard of someone who was rear-ended and the at-fault party claimed that they reversed into them. People just suck sometimes. 3) Some people spend a lot of time and money on their cars, saving up for them, keeping them looking nice. Many people treat their cars as disposable appliances and cannot understand this. 4) Finally, yes accidents happen. Road accidents happen as well as flying off the handle by accident. I think both are forgivable.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am wondering what the OP was thinking as to feedback from this forum.
The whole post is more like a diary entry.
I cannot help feeling a little bad for the elderly lady and her son, although by the time you have 70+ on the planet, you no doubt have seen some buttholes. It was still needless according to me,ha.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
When a fairly benign thread title gets over a couple of pages, it is almost guaranteed to be a bit more than the title suggests Wink. I was right...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Soooooo..... Tallmadge?

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The woman could have accused you of backing up into her when you saw the EMV, if she was dishonest. Good thing she wasn't a dick.

We just had a teenager scrape down the side of our minivan. A 100% fix was going to be $1600, but they wanted to pay without insurance involved. Because the van is already 10 years old, we buffed the bumper instead of replace, and ended up at $900. The people wrote a check, and the world's zen remains undisturbed. Being amicable didn't cost any extra.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
I would definitely have wanted her cited. 20 odd years ago I was rear-ended by a kid in his brother's car. I was stopped at a red light and he was picking his McDonald's off his floor. Deputy wanted to cut him a break and I said sure. Fast forward 20 years and I'm shopping car insurance and the agent checks the "clearing house" and finds an accident where fault was not determined. So, no cheaper rate for me and my 3 youthful drivers. Love Michigan no-fault.

What would she be cited for? It's an accident, they happen, it sucks and unfortunate, but they happen daily. Doesn't sound like she broke any laws, save for if she was using the phone, but he's not even sure she was and the officer didn't see it.

She thought he was going, hit the gas, when he didn't she didn't hit the breaks or not fast enough. I don't think failure to be a good driver is an actual crime.

Skins, in Michigan our No Fault Insurance is a whole different animal.I would not wish this on anybody.
We have three types of collision coverage, Broad Form Collision, no collision deductible. Regular Collision, vehicle owner pays deductible regardless of who's at fault (with a notable exception) and Limited Collision, only pays after deductible if that driver is under 50% to blame for the collision. Either case of Regular or Limited, if the other driver is at fault you can collect from their insurer what is called Mini-Tort:Under Michigan's mini tort law, victims of car accidents can recover a maximum of $1,000 for vehicle damage from the driver who caused the crash. The driver who caused the accident, assuming he has no-fault insurance, is protected beyond the first $1,000 of vehicle damage.

And as a sidebar, the difference between the prices of Broad Form and Regular Collision is pretty significant here.

And believe me, without going into details, if you don't have proof the other driver is at fault, you have a snowball's chance in Hell of collecting your Mini Tort. I've collected twice since 1990 and both times it was a ordeal but both were supported by accident reports in my favor.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^That's crazy.

OP, did her insurance fix it?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Skins, if you "like" our No Fault, you will "love" the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association. Read this:http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/03/13/michigan-no-fault-insurance-fee/99130358/

Each registered vehicle in the state gets this fee. The only exception is vehicles registered as antiques, they have the fee reduced 50%.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Skins, if you "like" our No Fault, you will "love" the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association. Read this:http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/03/13/michigan-no-fault-insurance-fee/99130358/

Each registered vehicle in the state gets this fee. The only exception is vehicles registered as antiques, they have the fee reduced 50%.

I only drive my car on the weekends. That would amount to a 3.7 cent tax per mile driven for me if I lived there. Eek

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^That's crazy.

OP, did her insurance fix it?

For the minimal cost of the bumper trim piece, it wasn't worth going through insurance and risking my rates going up or the hassle. I never filed a claim.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post