SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Minor accident: Rant and a couple of questions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minor accident: Rant and a couple of questions Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erikras:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Did you learn anything from the events of that day?

Yes, I definitely did. I stated in my OP that I shouldn't have handled it the way I did. I regret doing and saying what I did. I've also replied twice that I acted like an asshole. I admit it.

That said, I've been a member of this forum plenty long enough to know the crowd. However, I'm not sure a half dozen plus members calling me an asshole and a dick is really necessary. I could have sugar coated my OP, but I came here trying to paint the whole picture and the truth. I fucked up and was a dick. I admit it. I don't know what else to say. I'm definitely not looking for any sympathy in that regard.

V-Tail,
I was kind of in that situation, albeit my fault. My understanding is that state law requires drivers to exchange information before leaving the scene.

Scuba Steve,
You may or may not be right about the Car Fax. I was hit on the Ohio Turnpike a number of years back. There was $3,000 damage to my car, a report was written, and the other guy was ARRESTED (outstanding warrants and no license). All the repair work was run through insurance. When I sold the car four years later, I pulled a Car Fax and it never showed anything. Ever since, I've had little faith in Car Fax. Hopefully, they've improved their thoroughness some.

Rhinowso,
I don't care if it's a truck or a sportscar. It's my property and not someone else's to damage. FWIW, I now have a nice big Smittybilt Beaver Step sticking out of my trailer hitch.

You are ruining it for us saints damn it, no learning lessons, no repenting. How the hell are all the perfect people going to call you an asshole or dick if you realize you acted out of hand. You are supposed to keep digging!

You f-ed up and lost you cool, I get it, been there done that, got the T-shirt.

I forgive you if it means anything, swallow your pill and move on. You may still get the at fault party's insurance to pay for repairs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what is the consensus ? Don't call the cops because it is an inconvenience ? Exchange information but prepared for it to be fake? Don't have nice things because others will damage them ? Drive tank and let others impale themselves on you bumper ? Get a fake ID and drop insurance because one is obviously a fool to be responsible ?

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
So what is the consensus ? Don't call the cops because it is an inconvenience ? Exchange information but prepared for it to be fake? Don't have nice things because others will damage them ? Drive tank and let others impale themselves on you bumper ? Get a fake ID and drop insurance because one is obviously a fool to be responsible ?

If it's a fender bender with no injuries, speak with the other driver and agree on a place to move to, off the road. Make a mental note of their appearance, and write down their tag and vehicle make (or take pictures) before moving.

Once moved, exchange information. Vehicle info, names, driver license numbers, addresses, phone numbers, and insurance policies. Take note of any other occupants. Your insurance company likely has a "what information to get after an accident" list in your paperwork.

If there is an issue with any of the above, and they refuse to provide it or cant, then call the police.

Finally, carry under/uninsured motorist insurance.

Oh, and don't yell at old ladies.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
And get a dash cam.

I can't believe insurance companies haven't started offering heavy discounts for pre-approved dashcam installations.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I got run off the road in Aldie by an individual that had an out of state license and had been living in VA for some time according to the consveration. Things didn't smell right and I refused to move since I was blocking traffic and was in a ditch. I didn't know if I had damage to the undercarriage of my truck.

The Sheriff finally arrived and the guy was checked and arrested. Seems he had an outstanding warrant for something. You just never know sometimes.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
And get a dash cam.

I can't believe insurance companies haven't started offering heavy discounts for pre-approved dashcam installations.
Agreed. And forward facing is great, but forward and rear is better.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
with newer vehicles with camera views all around it seems like it would be a relatively simple addition for the manufacturers to do

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suspect a lot depends on local jurisdiction and discretion on the part of the responding LEO.

Got rear ended a few weeks ago (car in front started to move, then stopped. Car behind me didn't stop.) No injuries, but at least $1000 worth of damage to my rear bumper. Local PD responded in about 15 minutes, filled out a report, and cited the other driver for failure to stop.

I was in the process of filing a mini-tort claim with the other driver's insurance company when I was reminded that because of my collision coverage (waives the deductible for accidents <50% at fault, but still counts the claim against you), I was not eligible to file the mini-tort. Another irregularity and ridiculous aspect of Michigan "no-fault" insurance.

Every accident I've been in has been due to some inexperienced kid not paying attention. That includes the time when I was 17 and rear-ended another lady.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erikras:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Did you learn anything from the events of that day?

Yes, I definitely did. I stated in my OP that I shouldn't have handled it the way I did. I regret doing and saying what I did. I've also replied twice that I acted like an asshole. I admit it.
You admitted twice that you acted like an asshole once. The problem is that you acted like an asshole at least three times and possibly six times:
1. Yelling at an old woman. Definitely acted like an asshole which you admitted to.
2. Staying in the road blocking traffic while waiting for a LEO. Definitely acted like an asshole.
3. The way you spoke with the LEO about the accident report. Possibly acted like an asshole.
4. The way you acted when the other party tried to photo your vehicle. Definitely acted like an asshole.
5. The way you spoke with the LEO about moving out of the way of the license plate so it could be photographed. Possibly acted like an asshole.
6. The way you spoke with the LEO about not ticketing the old lady. Possibly acted like an asshole.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You admitted twice that you acted like an asshole once. blah blah blah

He admitted his mistake right from the get go. I am not surprised he is getting dog piled, that is a heavy trend around here, but dang, no one ever lashed out in a fit of anger?

Really, the only thing that surprised me in this thread is all the cops saying they don't want to do shit unless someone is hurt. Screw that. The chances of dealing with an honest person are low and I want documentation so I can try and be made whole. Here in CO you are at fault if you rear end a car, even if a car behind you pushes you into the one in front of you. Issue the tickets.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Time for me to pile on, too.

Damn, it's too high, already. Can't even reach it with the ladder. Eh, I'll just be watching from the sideline. Smile

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:

He admitted his mistake right from the get go.

Actually he didn't.

As the poster that you quoted pointed out, he only admitted to being out of line once. He thought his subsequent behavior was justified

quote:
Here in CO you are at fault if you rear end a car, even if a car behind you pushes you into the one in front of you. Issue the tickets.

You're confusing Civil Negligence and the Criminal.

Usually we don't issue citations for things we didn't observe

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're confusing Civil Negligence and the Criminal.

I'm not really confusing anything, I still don't know what you are talking about. Smile
The last time I got rear ended it bent my jeep pretty bad. I called the cops. They showed up and called in a Spanish interpreter and gave that guy tickets. They did have insurance, I consider myself awful lucky. They didn't have to observe the wreck, they figured it out because the rear of my jeep was smashed and the front of the other car was smashed. But maybe you just meant the scenario where one car pushes another car...

Hey OP, still not enough contrition for these guys. Kick yourself in the nuts or something. Wink

posted Hide Post
I live in Florida and it's a no fault state. However, if the police are called out, almost always a ticket is issued. If a person is rear ended, the person who hit them always gets a ticket for "failure to use due care".

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He admitted his mistake right from the get go. I am not surprised he is getting dog piled, that is a heavy trend around here, but dang, no one ever lashed out in a fit of anger?
Wrong on both counts:
1. He ONLY admitted to yelling at the woman as behaving badly. I would not have bothered to post if he had merely yelled at the woman and then stated he handled it badly.
2. A fit of anger lasts a minute or two. This anger episode lasted a long time, and he repeatedly acted like an asshole over the entire course of the event despite numerous opportunities to cool off (e.g. time from calling 911 to LEO arriving).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn, I thought the 5hr Energy joke would get more play. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
quote:

He admitted his mistake right from the get go.

Actually he didn't.

As the poster that you quoted pointed out, he only admitted to being out of line once. He thought his subsequent behavior was justified

Excuse me, but where the hell did I say I was justified in any of it? Better yet, where did my subsequent replies say that I admitted only to being an asshole or dick regarding yelling one sentence. I didn't. I was making blanket statements.

And as far as I know, nobody from this forum was there to witness my conversation with the officer. I do not believe it is out of line to ask questions to an LEO in this situation. I even said in my OP that I bit my tongue when I disagreed.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I even said in my OP that I bit my tongue when I disagreed.

too little too late. hit yourself in the forehead with a tackhammer. Big Grin

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Point is, after the bump had occurred, you caused all the difficulty. Sure, you are "sorry" and "admit it", but to the people involved, you were just the asshole in the truck - and I'm sure they mention you as such.

I'm sure you scared the lady, who called the son. You were an asshole to both of them. I'm sure you exuded some attitude to the cop, who likely heard of your outburst from the lady and her son, and after measuring you up himself deemed you an asshole. "you can't take pictures of my property"? LMFAO, you are in PUBLIC so they can take pictures of you, your stuff, and your fiancé picking her nose if they desire.

If you had been cool, I'm sure it would have gone cool. The little old lady probably would have copped to being distracted and the cop would have been more amicable to getting you some paperwork you wanted.

But you were "that guy", so you got the "that guy" treatment.

Take it or leave it, I really don't care one bit. The world is full of assholes, so +/-1 doesn't move the needle at all.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
but where the hell did I say I was justified in any of it? Better yet, where did my subsequent replies say that I admitted only to being an asshole or dick regarding yelling one sentence. I didn't. I was making blanket statements.

When you posted:
quote:
I admitted I was wrong and made a mistake. I hollered what I did before I even saw the other driver as I exited my own vehicle. I could have easily come here and omitted that fact and tried to make myself look like a saint. I wasn't and admit it.

That only references hollering as you exited.

When you allow that you could have left that out to "look like a saint", that infers that you don't think you were a dick during any of your later actions

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 9mmepiphany,

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post