SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Disrespectful child
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disrespectful child Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Got home from two flights today. 7 hours in the sky. Jumped in the car, wife's driving our Lexus to take us over to local Mexican place for dinner. 3 blocks from our destination, driving next to a local park a 10-12 year old male flips a quarter and hits our car. I yell for her to pull over, jump out of the vehicle, and confront this kid. I was pissed. What kinda kid blatantly does this shit and doesn't expect to be confronted. I yell at him, tell him to park his ass on the ground, and call 911. It caused a very small mark or chip on our windshield. It did scare and piss off my wife, but she pretty much stayed out of it except to answer a few questions that the lead officer asked her.

We have a vocal chat about how irresponsible his actions are. I wasn't polite, I used some foul language, he cusses at me, calls it an accident. He pleads with me not to call the police. Turns out his little sister is being watched by a friend 20 yards away in the park. This 18-20 year old female comes over and let's him call his mom. She doesn't say a word to me. The mother shows up after the police get there. She never said a word either. As the officers are arriving, I went over to our vehicle and removed my concealed weapon. It was very concealed, but I didn't feel right having it on me after they showed up. It had nothing to do with the event, and I didn't want to mention it, so I put it in our vehicle.

The first female officer had me explain what occurred, looked at our vehicle, ask me what I wanted done. I explained how expensive a new windshield might be, but really just wanted this kid to be educated, the event documented, and his name put into the system in case this behavior isn't a one time event.

He never apologized, his mother never approaches and apologizes. What kind of trash are these people? Should I have demanded he apologize in front of everyone?

I could go on... I just wanted a nice, quiet dinner with the wife after a full day. I thanked all the officers for their work, and left once they had all the info they needed from me. So my friends, what did I do wrong? How would you have handled this event? Thanks for your input. This isn't the kind of crap I like to deal with and didn't really expect it in my quiet little town.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If parents will not rear their children in a manner that produces consideration for others, then I am all for whatever measures which are prudent from the people they encounter in life, is applied to add the polish to that finish.

You might have wanted a public apology, but the "bringing accountability", is the greater virtue.

It may or may not make a difference, but every time such an action is brought to confront unruly behavior, the chance that a lifelong difference of behavior modification to the better, by an impressionable young person, may not be eschewed.

One does not do "the right thing" for reward, but because it it the right thing that must be done.

You did the right thing.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Why do you think you did anything wrong?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
If parents will not rear their children in a manner that produces consideration for others, then I am all for whatever measures which are prudent from the people they encounter in life, is applied to add the polish to that finish.

You might have wanted a public apology, but the "bringing accountability", is the greater virtue.

It may or may not make a difference, but every time such an action is brought to confront unruly behavior, the chance that a lifelong difference of behavior modification to the better, by an impressionable young person, may not be eschewed.

One does not do "the right thing" for reward, but because it it the right thing that must be done.

You did the right thing.

I agree ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
You didn't do anything wrong as long as it made you feel better. I would have expected the exact outcome you experienced so I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

I don't necessarily think I did anything wrong, but I appreciate incite from others here on this board. Better ways to handle or approach things. That is all.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the extent of the damage ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Somebody once said :It takes a village to raise a child" or something to that effect. I don't think you over-reacted at all! Kudos to your wife for staying out of it!!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
the extent of the damage ?

Very very minor. We have rock chips from living in Colorado that are slightly bigger. Just the fact that children like this have no respect that makes my blood boil. Parents who aren't ....

FBLM LGB!

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Did you at least get the quarter?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just the fact that children like this have no respect that makes my blood boil.

I know what you mean ,
it seems like it does not take much these days,

I go from one end of the teeter totter,
where I just want to get away from any confrontation at all,
to

full blown ranting and raving .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I absolutely agree with your appropriate anger.

That is one of the reasons that I don't move out of my driveway without a dash camera rolling. If something like that happened to me and there was any perceptible damage, any at all, I would demand that the parents bear the cost of having the windshield replaced. Not so much for the minor damage to the windshield, but to send a message that they need to instill proper behaviour in their children.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did fine, however:
My cop experience tells me that stupid people breed stupid kids.
Often, I found that I could accuse a man or his wife of anything, but I was way out of line if I made the same accusation about his kids or his dog.
You may have made a short term impression on the kid, but it wont last.
Try to remember his name. You may see it in the news in a few years.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

I don't necessarily think I did anything wrong, but I appreciate incite from others here on this board. Better ways to handle or approach things. That is all.

Ok, you asked, “what did I do wrong?” and I took that literally. I think you did it right. Someone has to hold that child accountable.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am trying to picture how a kid flips a coin into your moving car and then you pull over and confront the kid. Did he flip the quarter in the air in the way of your car and you drove into it, or did he like throw it at your car?

Nevertheless, for minor vehicle related damage, exchanging insurance information and taking the appropriate photos should suffice, right? Any windshield damage occurring this way (even through intentional vandalism) is covered under comprehensive insurance usually with a low deductible. Hell, a windshield nick is often covered in full with no deductible for chip repair/sealant to avoid a crack propagating and necessitating a full replacement.

If the responsible adult refused to share ID and insurance info, then a police call may be warranted.

My direct experience with vandalism is that the kids with responsible parents are punished more by the parents than the legal system can. And the irresponsible parents that don't care let their kids get by and ignore legal requirements for restitution and such unless you sue them.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
So my friends, what did I do wrong?

Here:

I yell for her to pull over, jump out of the vehicle, and confront this kid.

Pull over, call 911, if he pulls over gets out get out yourself.

If everything is calm and copacetic exchnge infor and wait for the cops.

If he gets out aggravated, drive away and call 911 and tell them why.

Being pissed off and "confronting" people is a good way to get shot, stabbed or arrested for menacing... over a fender-bender.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
So my friends, what did I do wrong?

Here:

I yell for her to pull over, jump out of the vehicle, and confront this kid.

Pull over, call 911, if he pulls over gets out get out yourself.

If everything is calm and copacetic exchnge infor and wait for the cops.

If he gets out aggravated, drive away and call 911 and tell them why.

Being pissed off and "confronting" people is a good way to get shot, stabbed or arrested for menacing... over a fender-bender.

This was a 10-12 year old kid, throwing money at cars driving by. He was on the sidewalk, next to the park. I don't think he's gonna beat, stab, or shoot me. But I was initially armed. Different circumstances call for different techniques..I get it. Thx.

FBLM LGB!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:

if he pulls over gets out get out yourself . . . fender-bender
If I might be so bold as to offer a suggestion: it might be a good idea to actually read (and comprehend) the original post, before replying to it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I had a quarter the year I was 12.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I don't think I had a quarter the year I was 12.
One of the rich kids in our neighborhood had seven cents!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים