SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    SF members have the ugliest plates/dishes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SF members have the ugliest plates/dishes Login/Join 
posted
Every meal protection thread I look at I think to myself why the hell do they have still have grandmas Corningwear dishes. Razz Wink

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because Corningwear is the Glock of dishes? Ugly, but they just keep on working?

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Hey, haven't you heard? Some of grandma's and great grandma's handmedown Corningware can be worth thousands of dollars! Use your googlefu.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Because Corningwear is the Glock of dishes? Ugly, but they just keep on working?

I refuse to use anything but Corelle. I have better things to do than treat my dishware like fine china that will chip if someone says a bad word to it. (Someone I know uses nothing but fancy antique stuff—most of which is chipped or cracked: very classy. Roll Eyes )

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Because we spend all our money on guns and ammo (and cars and motorcycles and watches and cigars and beer and Waste Kangs and...).

So we don't have any money left for fine china.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Fiestaware is where it's at, hot ticket on Ebay

Although why anyone gets off by placing their Sig next to their roast beef is beyond me. Now if the Sig actually brought the meat to the table that would be different

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well first off... Its skookum as frig.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't consider it ugly at all.

After almost 50 years of daily use and raising a family ours is still in very very good condition.

Grandma's? Not necessarily, you can still buy it new.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That and many really overcook their steak. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I think my last girlfriend broke up with me over my use of the term “perfectly serviceable”

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Call me lazy, but I've been using paper plates a whole lot lately. Great for heating up small leftovers without dealing with washing dishes.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up with it, when I inherited all mother’s Corning wear, straight away to goodwill, hope it wasn’t too valuable it’s only been in use for 50+ years. Besides, wife would never allow it in our house.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I think my last girlfriend broke up with me over my use of the term “perfectly serviceable”

Were you talking about her or your dishes?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Some folks here lack all class, or if they have any, its low. I personally wish my wife would let us use her aunt's a lot more. Maybe even once a year!

So lets talk Crystal and Sterling. I'm going to guess those complaining here don't even have any. They have great pride in plastic or "tin", really some form of stainless with the unmistakable stamp "china". Crystal is hard to find these days, but its there if you look. I kind of like better restaurants that take great pride in their undercooked food, but serve it on and with 2nd rate utensils.

I guess the reasons are cost. Guess its better than getting stolen by the hired help.

I find nothing bad about "used" china and glass. The complainer here OP? is probably proud of his plastic and paper. Let him be. But he should tone down his complaints. He's just wrong.

And I wish I could find more of our main china patterns. Yes, plural. Its listed on replacements.com, but always out of stock. I even wish more of y'all would sell off the nasty old stuff you don't think I should use.
t

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Wife and I have been using paper plates for awhile now. She will brake out the real thing when we have company.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well damn! Still using these everyday from the very early '70s. Big Grin Big Grin Smile

https://www.businessinsider.co...y-gold-plates-2017-1

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whoa! What a kwinkydink!

I just finished chicken fried steak with gravy on the exact same plate! Same pattern, same color.

I only have 3 left, the rest were broken over the years.

Old habits die hard.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

I find nothing bad about "used" china and glass. The complainer here OP? is probably proud of his plastic and paper. Let him be. But he should tone down his complaints. He's just wrong

Yikes. I guess the little smileys at the end of the post were too subtle. Its just a little good razzing. Eat off a gold plate or out of an old cool whip container. I dont care. Thought it was a little good fun Roll Eyes

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Well damn! Still using these everyday from the very early '70s. Big Grin Big Grin Smile

https://www.businessinsider.co...y-gold-plates-2017-1

These are the exact pattern my grandma has. No joke. Lol

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with paper plates is they fall apart in the dishwasherFrown

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
The biggest problem with paper plates is they fall apart in the dishwasherFrown

Just lick them clean and air dry them. Razz

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post