SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    More ghetto-tastic/white-trash-fabulous baby names...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More ghetto-tastic/white-trash-fabulous baby names... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Daviaonta Isiah Duax.

Read it in - you guessed it - police beat.

http://qctimes.com/news/local/...05-ed0ad271dc87.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
A girl's first name: Latreen.

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
my two favorites, both true and verifiable, are a female UT student named Shanda Lear, and a urologist in Toledo named (I swear to God) Dick Tapper.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
a female UT student named Shanda Lear

The daughter of Bill Lear, of Learjet and the inventor of the 8- track?

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
"How do you pronounce your first name?"

"What the hell does it look like?"

"Gibberish. Now, how do you pronounce it?"

And teachers who mispronounce these shit names or ask how they pronounce these shit names in English are accused of being insensitive or causing "micro-aggressions" towards "people of color". Funkin' ridiculous.

http://neatoday.org/2016/09/01...cing-students-names/

As someone who really hates to mispronounce someone else's name, I can mostly understand the point of the article you linked. HOWEVER, the point of that article is for children with foreign names, who may or may not have migrated here. At least TRY to get their name right without embarrassing them!

What that article is NOT addressing as far as I can see, is the totally whacked-out ghetto names we're talking about here! As far as I'm concerned, those are open game due to the idiocy of the birthing units/sperm donors (if they even had any part of the naming process)!!!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
my two favorites, both true and verifiable, are a female UT student named Shanda Lear, and a urologist in Toledo named (I swear to God) Dick Tapper.

You forgot Fern Tannenbaum. Wink

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
"How do you pronounce your first name?"

"What the hell does it look like?"

"Gibberish. Now, how do you pronounce it?"

And teachers who mispronounce these shit names or ask how they pronounce these shit names in English are accused of being insensitive or causing "micro-aggressions" towards "people of color". Funkin' ridiculous.

As someone who really hates to mispronounce someone else's name, I can mostly understand the point of the article you linked. HOWEVER, the point of that article is for children with foreign names, who may or may not have migrated here. At least TRY to get their name right without embarrassing them!

What that article is NOT addressing as far as I can see, is the totally whacked-out ghetto names we're talking about here! As far as I'm concerned, those are open game due to the idiocy of the birthing units/sperm donors (if they even had any part of the naming process)!!!

I always asked/told my students, "I am trying to read your name, if I get it wrong please correct me. I want to get your name right. It is important to me. Just like I want to to be respectful to me I feel it would be disrespectful of me to pronounce your name incorrectly."

My most difficult names were not, "ghetto" but Indian. There are some difficult letter combinations/sounds for me...but I learned!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dd7FixvoKBw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The other day, I was driving behind a car with the license plate A-ARON. My wife could not stop laughing.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I used to hang out with a flamboyantly gay guy named Aaron. He used to introduce himself as "Double A Ron". Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
http://www.tribtoday.com/news/...nd-jury-35-indicted/

My Google Fu is on tonight. Scroll through it and you'll see his name.
Tell me that's not the most fucked up name.

quote:
l Keith Richard Lelesch, 33, Fulton Street, Niles, aggravated burglary.

Surprised Keith didn't get busted for drugs Razz

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was in high school with a girl named Chandelier.
Her name was pronounced Shan-till-lee-air.

Ahh...Cleveland Public Schools. Oh how I miss those times.

Not.

People get angry when I ask them how to spell their kids' names when taking reports. But how the hell should I know how to spell some of this garbage.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
http://www.tribtoday.com/news/...nd-jury-35-indicted/

My Google Fu is on tonight. Scroll through it and you'll see his name.
Tell me that's not the most fucked up name.

Antenero Blessed Be Fudge, 34

Eek my question is how he has lived to be 34 with a name like that...especially if he has been in jail Eek

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
At an store in Little Rock:

name tag: DANICA (1 syllable, as in Danica Patrick)

Hi Danica, how are you today?

Her: It's Da Knee Ka (3 syllables)

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhat local family - last name Hogg (he was a rancher).
Named their girl Ima (long I).

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:

I think this is the important part of the article: "Robertson adds that it’s okay to make an error, “but it is not okay to ignore the mistake and not learn from it.”"

People shouldn't get upset over an honest mistake, but after awhile it's frustrating when someone isn't willing to even make an attempt.

Bill, I agree with you that there is a huge difference between purposefully idiotic names and names of a different language or culture. My name is super common in English, but pretty much everyone I've met who speaks English as a second language cannot pronounce it because of the "th" sound in the middle.

Even a common name like Joanne could be pronounced as Jo-Ann or Joan, so it's not necessarily the weird names that are problematic.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CNYTX11
posted Hide Post
Went to school with a set of siblings --

Benjamin & Eileen Dover

how they took that bit of irony in stride I'll never know.

S&W M-66-2 (3")/ S&W M-65LS (3")/ S&W M-10 (2")/Colt Combat Commander Series 70

Posts: 651 | Location: Johnson County, KS | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
At an store in Little Rock:

name tag: DANICA (1 syllable, as in Danica Patrick)

Hi Danica, how are you today?

Her: It's Da Knee Ka (3 syllables)

OK, I gotta ask. How is Danica P's name pronounced with one syllable? How is that even possible? The second version I can even understand depending on ethnicity.

One syllable though? I can't even see how to do it with two.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Ok, I surrender. Should have said it differently (I'm 70 and my grammar arn't da bestest). But I think you get the pronunciation with specific emphasis of 3 distinct syllables. I pronounce Danica just the way it's spelled, without emphasis on the 3.syllables (dan-ic-a) or in the clerks fashion Da..knee..kah

Must be my lack of proper schooling after 7th gradeSmile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
There's a woman in our area that appears in the police blotter frequently named Tequila Cherry.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
<<snip>>
I always asked/told my students, "I am trying to read your name, if I get it wrong please correct me. I want to get your name right. It is important to me. Just like I want to to be respectful to me I feel it would be disrespectful of me to pronounce your name incorrectly."

Sounds like exactly the way I would handle it. Make a point of being respectful regarding the names, but also let them know you're human and likely will not get them all right on the first, or even second try! At least you were making the proper effort though...

quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo: <<snip>> My most difficult names were not, "ghetto" but Indian. There are some difficult letter combinations/sounds for me...but I learned!

Fully understand that, and that is also a point to be noted! The "ghetto" names have stupid pronunciations just to be "different", but once you're told how they want to say it, you can usually remember it, at least by the 2nd or 3rd try at the most. The Indian names, and many other cultures also, are simply not the type of name Americans can figure out, much less pronounce correctly on the 1st, 2nd, or for me 15th try because they come from languages with linguistic rules very unlike our own! My teenage daughter has had several friends at school in the past few years of an Indian or Middle Eastern heritage, with culturally correct names. More than once she has given up trying to help me pronounce it correctly! Frown

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post