SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windows 7 ending
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 7 ending Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
Received notification that microsoft is ending support for windows 7.

A couple years ago I tried to install Win 10 and it was a real mess.

Has Win 10 gotten to be more usable and user friendly?

Is the an alternative?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
When I bought a new PC a couple of years ago it came with Win 10 and I hated it at first. I now love it. It took me awhile to get used to it but it's a very stable platform and has become easy to move around in. The security with Microsoft Defender has been awesome.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just buy a new PC with Win10 rather than trying to upgrade a Win7 PC, they are stupid cheap nowadays.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I waited until about a year ago to upgrade my Win10 box but by then the process work fine. It's been fine ever since.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Just buy a new PC with Win10 rather than trying to upgrade a Win7 PC, they are stupid cheap nowadays.

maybe, but we are retired and on limited income, with lots of time available.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
And does microslop still charge fees for using Win 10? As I recall, they used to charge some kind of monthly fees. Might be my bad/failing memory.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Nope, no ongoing charges.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Nope, no ongoing charges.

Jim

Thanks!

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No problems win Win10 here. I was the Guinea pig at the office to give it a try & office 16 as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Multi-platform IT guy here.

Is there any specific reason you want to stick with Windows? These days, there are many Linux distributions that have the same basic user interface and built-ins. They generally don't require the stiff hardware specs that Windows does. And Linux is available for the price of a download.

If usability is your chief desire, consider Linux. If you absolutely, positively, must have Windows, look into upgrade options.

Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 is an issue if your hardware is too old, slow or out of date. That may be part of the reason for your previous debacle, although I have found that PCs that can run Windows 7 can generally run Windows 10.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Multi-platform IT guy here.

Is there any specific reason you want to stick with Windows? These days, there are many Linux distributions that have the same basic user interface and built-ins. They generally don't require the stiff hardware specs that Windows does. And Linux is available for the price of a download.

If usability is your chief desire, consider Linux. If you absolutely, positively, must have Windows, look into upgrade options.

Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 is an issue if your hardware is too old, slow or out of date. That may be part of the reason for your previous debacle, although I have found that PCs that can run Windows 7 can generally run Windows 10.

Have never used anything other than windows. My memory is getting "iffy" with respect to quite a number of issues & am leery of trying to learn a new OS.

Doing a little searching on the innerweb, it seems I can buy a new computer for what it would cost to buy Win 10.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Even thought old W7 machines may run W10 … chances are that aging hardware is also contributing to issues, problems or performance.
Additionally, moving forward hardware manufacturers are abandoning support and even more so for many software companies.
However, if you have a really old "working" device such as an old printer or similar that there may not be W10 support for that so factor in that too.
Otherwise the latest Intel hardware, SSD drives and W10 are an amazing vast improvement albeit some learning may be required but it is not that bad.
I would really think twice on an in place upgrade of W7 to W10.

YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
$499 will get you a win10 box, 1 tb ssd drive I7 with 16gb ram dvdrw etc...

$499 Win 10 Deal Tiger Direct

Or

$229 HP Deal Tiger Direct

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old is your machine? Whataya got? If you're OK with how it performs then keep using it. Just make sure you have the minimum hardware capability to run 10 (you probably do).

If your machine had 7 loaded on it new you can upgrade to 10 for free I'm pretty sure. You're going to need the license number or whatever it's called (I forget) for your copy of Windows to show it's genuine.

It's fairly easy to upgrade. You should take a run at it. You'll like 10.

Posts: 31 | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My system was upgraded about a year ago. New and faster processor, more memory, etc. Had it done at a local shop. Essentially, a new system.

I may try Win 10. Just lingering memories of the mess I ended up in a couple years ago when I tried to update.

I can always take it back to the local shop and have them straighten it out. Wonder what SWMBO would think of that. Smile

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Just because MS says they're not going to "support" Win 7 after some specific date does not mean that Win 7 will no longer work.

I continued to use a system with Win XP for several years after they quit supporting it. Only quit then when the hard drive crashed and I couldn't find my backup for it.

I'm planning to continue using my Win 7 system until it dies or I die. Big Grin

P.S. I have two cloned hard drives for my Win 7 system in the safe.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
My system was upgraded about a year ago. New and faster processor, more memory, etc. Had it done at a local shop. Essentially, a new system.

I may try Win 10. Just lingering memories of the mess I ended up in a couple years ago when I tried to update.

I can always take it back to the local shop and have them straighten it out. Wonder what SWMBO would think of that. Smile

Maybe just have them upgrade your machine for you? Could save you a headache or two. I doubt they would charge you much since it is a pretty straight forward upgrade and doesn't take a bunch of time.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
My laptop is running Win 7 and I have no desire to change it.

My wife's laptop is running Win 10 and whenever I have to use it.....I hate it!!! Just one big PITA!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 has been great for me.

When it comes to IT, always stay with the most current software/updates and OS whenever possible.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The latest Win7 update just hosed my USB ports.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post