SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Got a speeding ticket, officer was speeding too.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a speeding ticket, officer was speeding too. Login/Join 
Technically Adaptive
posted
First ticket in over thirty years for me, That's OK, I was and deserved it.
My bitch is when he showed me the radar speed in his car, he was going 62 in a 55 (opposite direction across a four lane). Is it common for them, taking moving radar and speeding themselves at the same time?

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
Is it common for them, taking moving radar and speeding themselves at the same time?

I would say yes. Many marked cars I see are often speeding with no light ons.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Just seems odd to me, I would think if they were writing a ticket, that they would not be over the limit themselves. He spent a little over an half hour with me, he wasn't going to a call.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
What peeves me the most is seeing marked cars tailgating other vehicles to get them out of the way but with no lights on? Often it’s Charlotte PD on highways they don’t even patrol. One time I ended up being behind the cruiser the entire time and at the end they pulled into a Taco Bell drive through. I guess they were late to lunch.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's good for me but not for thee.

I once was given a speeding ticket by an a-hole Highway Patrolman. I was following him at the same speed in the 70MPH range. This was back in the 55 days. Me, the punk kid, pointing out that I was going the same speed he was didn't go over too well. The fella had a bit of an attitude.

Of course, back then, it was a $5 ticket for "wasting a natural resource" that was paid and forgotten on the spot, so no big deal.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
They have to go over the speed limit because how else are they going to catch up to those who are going over the speed limit???

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Wait till they get passed by a speeding car?

OP, as an AZ resident you know 7 over for the cop would be impeding traffic on most roads. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
He was coming at me from the opposite direction.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Going with the flow.

I had a 100 mile a day commute for over a decade on a very busy interstate and often saw LEO speeding and appreciated it... but they also routinely allowed 10 over by everyone else unless they were acting stupid like lots of lane changes or tailgating. If a LEO drove strictly the posted speed it would could cause mile long backups because no one would pass.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Going with the flow.

I had a 100 mile a day commute for over a decade on a very busy interstate and often saw LEO speeding and appreciated it... but they also routinely allowed 10 over by everyone else unless they were acting stupid like lots of lane changes or tailgating. If a LEO drove strictly the posted speed it would could cause mile long backups because no one would pass.

this,

and a few do it here,

kinda funny to see the police in one lane at say 60mph, and some guy trying to pass them at 61mph..

except for the fact it is usually 30 cars or more piled up behind

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I understand the MA State Police troopers have been known to exceed the limit, at times. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
How fast were you going? Must have been 15+ over for him to turn around to get you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Some here might take exception, but not all LEO are created equal. Some will go about their day knowing that others need to go about their day, while some just want to be asshats that generate their own salaries. Those I call revenuers. Every locale has them, some worse than others.

You still haven't told us how fast you were going. Maybe this particular officer likes cruising about 10 MPH over and giving a break to others within that range-----you know, just going about their day Wink

Can't say for sure if this LEO is a revenuer or not...insufficient data...

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
18 over, but my point is it's still ok for him to be in court saying I was speeding, when he was too.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, 18 over you have no leg to stand on.

And yes, it's ok for him to say you were speed while he was doing 7 over. Only time I've heard of people getting pulled for <9 over is when the limit is 25, 35, or a school zone.

Nobody is always doing the limit except those who turn themselves in for jaywalking and pulling mattress tags off. Traffic is going faster, or you aren't paying attention, etc, etc.

And I drive fast, but if a cop clocked me at 18 over I would expect to get a ticket.

Or go to court and fight it using the "well he was speeding too" defense - I'd really love to hear how it goes for you!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with the ticket, just thought it odd that the speed he was going could result in a ticket also. Haven't been in court for driving violations, ever, since 1976. So I guess I'm due.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, your bitch is the cop was going 7 over? Really? Are you in the third grade? I got caught eating glue, but Billy didn't eat all of his vegetables?

The internet NEVER fails to cease to amaze me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
What your saying is I'll never get a ticket for going 7 over in a 55, that is good to know..

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, your bitch is the cop was going 7 over? Really? Are you in the third grade? I got caught eating glue, but Billy didn't eat all of his vegetables?

The internet NEVER fails to cease to amaze me.

The law is the law though correct? Or, does it depend on the individual cop? Are there exceptions? Why shouldn't he get a ticket as well?

If I'm required to not go over the speed limit, why shouldn't you be?

Around here, it is illegal for emergency vehicles (cops/ambulances) to exceed the speed limit even when running code. Yet, they/we do it all the time. Should they/we get tickets?

A couple years back, I was called in emergently to intubate a guy in the ER in respiratory failure. The PA who was on was unable to do so and they called me. I live 8 minutes away on dry roads. I rolled through town doing 70+ while trying to get there before the guy died. An MHP asshole (sorry FN...there are some out there) lit me up several hundred yards before the hospital. I didn't stop for him.

He followed me in to the ER and confirmed that I had been called in and what it was for. He then left, only to show up at my home three days later with tickets for speeding and failure to stop for him.

They were thrown out by the judge and a rather nasty letter was written to his sergeant for making me go through the trouble.

My point is, where is the line? Is it, I can speed but you can't? Is it 10 over? Is it when you are subjectively unsafe? Is it wherever you say it is at any given moment?

If I were the OP, I would without question bring it to the attention of the judge and the officer's sergeant...after I paid the ticket. But then, I'm kind of an asshole that way. Wink

18 over is a bit much to get any sympathy unless you've got a good reason to do so though. Go big or go home right? Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to fight the ticket whatsoever, not using his speed for defense. Just doesn't seem right to me. I wonder how often it happens, I suppose I could ask the Judge Smile