SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Special Invitation” Vaccines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Special Invitation” Vaccines Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted
It’s come out that three hospitals in the Seattle area have offered high money donors “special invitations” to get the Covid vaccine.
Yesterday, my wife and drove over 60 miles to attend a “walk-in vaccine” clinic. We arrived at 5:30AM, waited an hour in the rain and wind, to a number and finally got our shots at 10AM. We learned that the doses were all allocated at 8:30AM and an estimated 440 were turned away. That after trying for two weeks to get the vaccine.

How blatant was the “invitation”?

“ Dear Overlake major donors…” the email read. “We’re pleased to share that we have 500 new open appointments in the Overlake COVID-19 vaccine clinic, beginning this afternoon and tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 23) and next week.”
The email gave the donors an access code to register for appointments “by invite” only. Last week, the public-facing Overlake registration site was fully booked through March.”

“WA DOH Condemns 'Invitation Only' Vaccination Events For VIPs
SEATTLE — Three hospitals across the Puget Sound have been caught hosting private "invitation only" vaccination clinics, allowing board members and other VIPs to skip the queue for the vaccine. Now, the Washington State Department of Health says those hospitals are going to stop immediately, or risk having their vaccine supply cut off entirely.

The DOH posted a statement on the issue Saturday reading in part:

"The Washington State Department of Health stands with Governor Inslee in being dismayed at reports of such egregiously inappropriate behavior regarding "invitation-only" vaccine clinics. We do not condone this behavior, and we have never allowed it.
Since COVID-19 vaccine planning began, equity has been the primary focus of the state's distribution effort, and to see such cavalier disregard for allocation strategy that prioritizes the most at-risk and disproportionately impacted populations is unacceptable.
Plainly said, this kind of practice is inequitable, wrong, and must stop immediately. Facilities or organizations found to engage in this practice risk not receiving additional shipments of vaccines."
The first hospital caught offering easier access to the vaccine for VIPs was Bellevue's Overlake Medical Center. Earlier this month, the hospital sent an email to roughly 4,000 people, welcoming them to attend an invite-only clinic. The list included more than 100 major donors. The news broke Tuesday to extreme backlash in Washington and across the country.

Since then, the Seattle Times has confirmed at least two more Puget Sound-area hospitals have hosted similarly exclusive clinics: Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, who on Tuesday held a clinic exclusive to donors, board members and fundraising volunteers, and Kirkland's EvergreenHealth, which claimed to be testing their vaccine scheduling tool, but used that test to offer vaccine doses to board members.

Providence Regional Medical Center was not vaccinating the public at the time of their private clinic, and visitors to EvergreenHealth's website are currently greeted with a warning explaining that they are short on the vaccine and cannot schedule any further appointments.

Several state leaders have since spoken out to condemn the practice, including Gov. Jay Inslee — whose office also shut down online access to the Overlake clinic, according to the Times. Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan has gone one step further, calling on the DOH to reassess their entire vaccine distribution model to better prioritize those with the greatest needs.

“ We have an obligation to ensure that our fight against the pandemic does not exacerbate inequities and instead centers those most impacted in our access to treatment, our economic assistance, and now in access to life-saving vaccines," said Durkan. "Unfortunately, the recent stories of preferential treatment by providers for financial donors, coupled with the struggles of communities to vaccinate their most vulnerable members, show even more starkly that these systems are failing communities of color. This is eroding trust in government at a time when public confidence is crucial for the health and recovery of our communities. Corrective action must be taken now."

The DOH has not announced any major restructuring plans, but did note in their statement Saturday that, going forward, larger portions of vaccine shipments would be headed to places like pharmacies and community centers instead of hospitals:

"Furthermore, vaccine allocation was always going to expand beyond hospitals to allow more community access in ways that are culturally responsive and accessible.
It made sense that, in the early weeks of vaccination, the majority of vaccine went to hospitals because we needed to reach the most at-risk workers in health care settings and protect our healthcare infrastructure.
Now, we are spreading limited vaccine among many more sites where people can get vaccinated, including pharmacies, community health centers, local public health, and mass vaccination sites."

https://patch.com/washington/s...cination-events-vips
https://www.seattletimes.com/s...-concerns-of-equity/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
...and it’s not just in Washington...

https://www.wdbj7.com/2021/01/...ors-get-covid-shots/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
My wife & I got our shots that way. The hospital had unused doses from their staff supply that they released to the members of the hospital auxiliary and later asked them to share the secret website with community members. That's when we were contacted. We are certainly not "Big Donors" or any kind of donor, but my wife's playing golf with the wife of a retired crooked judge who is helping him rehab his soiled reputation certainly helped. (sidebar: The crooked judge was outed by newspapers all over the state about 20 years ago.)

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am seeing instances in my region where there is an excess of vaccines.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would be nice to see the little happy faces of the privileged in the local town paper. Hope this is just the first vaccine and they have to wait in a very long line for the booster.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nothing surprising other than they got caught. Standard MO for the elite left - abuse of power and position. More for me and none for thee. Judgement day will come.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I think it would be nice to see the little happy faces of the privileged in the local town paper. Hope this is just the first vaccine and they have to wait in a very long line for the booster.

The second dose must be given within set period of time. “The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, the interval is 21 days between the first and second dose. And for the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the interval is 28 days between the first and second dose. “
While there is some flexibility, prolonging the second dose would waste the first dose and lead to the patient running the risk of Covid.

As for the “VIP hospitals” the word is “Now, the Washington State Department of Health says those hospitals are going to stop immediately, or risk having their vaccine supply cut off entirely.”

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a first dose is free but the second dose will cost you $50,000 situation. The second dose contains the antidote. Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
“All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.”

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Maybe it's a first dose is free but the second dose will cost you $50,000 situation. The second dose contains the antidote. Razz

I believe I read that book but can’t remember the name of it. Thought provoking.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Saw a news story that a wealthy couple from Vancouver chartered a plane, flew north to the Yukon, and received vaccines meant for indigenous people in a small village.

It did not end well for them.

Link

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story. These guys stepped on a lot of toes. The Canadian government, the Gaming Industry and the Indigenous people were all involved. Not even good liars. From the pic it looks like a May December romance. I wonder how they plan to get the booster vaccine? I think they deserve the Sputnik 5, Putin says it is ok.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Saw a news story that a wealthy couple from Vancouver chartered a plane, flew north to the Yukon, and received vaccines meant for indigenous people in a small village.

Link

I’m been to Beaver Creek. It’s remote. The danger was that these two idiots would come in infected with Covid or the flu.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Link

They were fined $1,150 each, Yukon News reported.

Not exactly financially devastating, probably had it in his wallet...

Should have been required to fund a flight of the vaccine to remote camps out of his pocket, air costs, vaccine, etc.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There's no vaccine to be had unless you are a political official in Georgia.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
The second dose must be given within set period of time. “The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, the interval is 21 days between the first and second dose. And for the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the interval is 28 days between the first and second dose. “
While there is some flexibility, prolonging the second dose would waste the first dose and lead to the patient running the risk of Covid.

Got my first shot at 11:38 yesterday, drove 45 minutes home and found an email with a "special invitation" to get the second shot. Turns out they were well organized and set things up to where you didn't have to worry about scheduling the second, just go in to their website and confirm the date.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I think it cost him his lucrative job....resigning four days after the incident.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Link

They were fined $1,150 each, Yukon News reported.

Not exactly financially devastating, probably had it in his wallet...

Should have been required to fund a flight of the vaccine to remote camps out of his pocket, air costs, vaccine, etc.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post