SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Garbage factory remote start designs that shut off when you open a door.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garbage factory remote start designs that shut off when you open a door. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
How stupid! I wanted the factory remote start installed on my wife’s Subaru, but it stops the engine when you open a door. It’s deep in the factory security program because of the bypass that allows it to start also alows it to be driven even if you don’t have the fob. This is apparently how MOST foreign cars with push button start are. My Toyota needs a key and an aftermarket Viper allows it to shut down upon brake press or hood opening but stays running if you open the door. That’s why I went aftermarket rather than OEM.

Too much crap on cars now that you can’t opt out of.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Yukon definitely stays running when the door is opened. You need to press the start button with the fob in the vehicle to drive it.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Trax keeps running when you open the door.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Seems like it might be desired as a feature.

Let's say you remote start. Then someone opens the door to steal it. Having it turn off seems like a good security feature.

I'd rather have that than have the engine turn off when it thinks the fob is not close. That would probably mean it's polling for the key. Which may mean that it may miss a poll response while you're driving and then turn off.

I'd rather have it stop when the door is opened than having it possibly stop while you're driving.

At least that's my simple view of it.

The Yukon may have a good concept going -- need the key nearby to shift it out of Park or something. What does the Yukon do / allow when you push the button on the fob in order to drive?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:The Yukon may have a good concept going -- need the key nearby to shift it out of Park or something. What does the Yukon do / allow when you push the button on the fob in order to drive?

You don't need to push the fob buttons, just the ignition button on the dash.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Seems like it might be desired as a feature.

Let's say you remote start. Then someone opens the door to steal it. Having it turn off seems like a good security feature.

I'd rather have that than have the engine turn off when it thinks the fob is not close. That would probably mean it's polling for the key. Which may mean that it may miss a poll response while you're driving and then turn off.

I'd rather have it stop when the door is opened than having it possibly stop while you're driving.

At least that's my simple view of it.

The Yukon may have a good concept going -- need the key nearby to shift it out of Park or something. What does the Yukon do / allow when you push the button on the fob in order to drive?

With an aftermarket remote start, it's possible to bypass the ignition cylinder in order to use the car without a key but standard installation requires you to insert the key and turn it to the ON position. With a factory remote start, you must use the same procedure to run the car normally as you would if you didn't have remote start (having a key in this ignition or a keyless ignition fob inside the car, foot on the brake, and hitting the start button). I'm not sure how it is with other makes, but Ford requires someone to press the door lock button on the key fob before pressing a secondary button to start the car. This is just an additional form of security to keep people from jumping into the car ahead of you.

For Riley to have to restart the vehicle simply because he opened the door doesn't make sense for a factory option.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
My Yukon definitely stays running when the door is opened. You need to press the start button with the fob in the vehicle to drive it.

Same with my Pacifica.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Got me a Subie after years of Government Motors.

Subie's remote start implementation is idiotic. Must have been designed by Indian subcontractors.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My Jeep's remote start will lock the doors, if they're not locked already. Then, obviously, you need the remote keyless entry fob to open a door to get in. Even if somebody's already inside, the vehicle's still going nowhere, as you need to press the brake and the keyless start button (again: with fob present) to actually put the vehicle into run. If you don't initiate the "run" sequence within, I think, 30 minutes, it shuts back down. Smartly-designed system, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The factory installed starter in our Toyota Highlander is the same way but they double down and it will not run longer than 10 minutes.

I have inquired about an aftermarket setup for the Sienna apparently they will run longer than 10 minutes but will still shut off when the door is opened if you have push button start. If you have a key you are fine.

Had a loaner van the other day for 4 days with a standard key. Man I much prefer that to the smart key.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aftermarket is the way to go.

My brother's Subaru does the same thing. Shuts off when you open the door since it's just the push button start. I wonder if the non push button start cars stay on since you have to turn a key to unlock the shifter?

I know his police car has a bypass button to keep it running but if you touch the brake to shift without the key turned, it shuts off.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Toyota needs a key and an aftermarket Viper allows it to shut down upon brake press or hood opening but stays running if you open the door.

My Python (same system) is great! I have the SST version that starts the truck from insane distances, like first third of the 18th fairway, so by the time we putt out, the truck is cooled down nicely. Smile

Break a window and open the door, the alarm sounds...and pages the fob to tell me. Push on the brake to shift into drive and it stops dead. I love it.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate all these stupid 300 dollar keys and push buttons and crap. I like tech stuff as much as the next guy, but just give me a damn key for my car.

Sorry. Rant over.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
I hate all these stupid 300 dollar keys and push buttons and crap.

I'll concede that all that whiz-bang electronic-y stuff worries me a bit. Reams of failure points, any one of which can leave you without a ride--perhaps out in the middle of nowhere.

But I also have to admit the geek in me is loving it. Particularly since it appears Chrysler has put a lot of thought into how it should all work. It's all pretty intuitive and most of it works the way I'd have it working if I'd designed it for myself. Like the remote start, for example.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Our Lexus is the same way, open door and it cuts off, SO stupid.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:I'll concede that all that whiz-bang electronic-y stuff worries me a bit. Reams of failure points, any one of which can leave you without a ride--perhaps out in the middle of nowhere.

I've often thought the same, but reliability seems to be much better than old cars. One thing that does concern me is all of the mandatory safety devices. I'm sure if those were to fail, we'd be on the hook for making them operational before trading/selling. It has prompted me to trade a bit more frequently to stay ahead of the problem. Dealerships probably love me.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The factory installed starter in our Toyota Highlander is the same way but they double down and it will not run longer than 10 minutes.

I have inquired about an aftermarket setup for the Sienna apparently they will run longer than 10 minutes but will still shut off when the door is opened if you have push button start. If you have a key you are fine.

Had a loaner van the other day for 4 days with a standard key. Man I much prefer that to the smart key.
No smart key on my Sienna, but we had the dealer install the remote start. It's not factory, but a factory/dealer approved aftermarket, that was covered under warranty, as it was installed before we picked up the van.

The remote start requires pressing the lock button on the key fob 3 times, it then runs until the brake pedal is pressed, or for 12 minutes. You need the key to unlock the driver's side door manually after you remote start.

Maybe something changed in later model years, that prevents the use of that type of remote start, but on the 2013 that one is great. I start it, make sure I get out there before my 12 minutes is up, put the key in the ignition, and switch it to on. Hit the power lock button, and rest of the family can pile in.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

No smart key on my Sienna, but we had the dealer install the remote start. It's not factory, but a factory/dealer approved aftermarket, that was covered under warranty, as it was installed before we picked up the van.

The remote start requires pressing the lock button on the key fob 3 times, it then runs until the brake pedal is pressed, or for 12 minutes. You need the key to unlock the driver's side door manually after you remote start.

Maybe something changed in later model years, that prevents the use of that type of remote start, but on the 2013 that one is great. I start it, make sure I get out there before my 12 minutes is up, put the key in the ignition, and switch it to on. Hit the power lock button, and rest of the family can pile in.

The difference is the smart key.
Standard key like your I could get an aftermarket with the full capabilities.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wifes Hyundai factory remote start activates the hazard lights. Nothing like drawing attention to an unoccupied car with the lights flashing.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
The factory Ford system I have is great. You press door lock on the key fob, and then the start button twice. This ensures the vehicle is locked while it is running. Then you can unlock the doors and anyone can get in, or use the keypad on the outside of the doors. Even the heated/cooled seats come on to the setting you desire. Simply place key in ignition, turn to "on" and drive away. They even have an app that allows you to start the vehicle from anywhere in the world, and it alerts you if someone tries to open the vehicle or break into it.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post