SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Phantom light switches
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phantom light switches Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Common cause in living spaces is a ceiling fan set up. One switch for the fan - one for the light. Owner decides (or contractor) that they are going to install a fan-only unit without the light.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Common cause in living spaces is a ceiling fan set up. One switch for the fan - one for the light. Owner decides (or contractor) that they are going to install a fan-only unit without the light.

I get this call all the time. It's hilarious, I go to their houses and they tell me they need an electrician because they have a switch that they don't know what it operates. In as non smart-ass way as possible I ask them, "is there anything not working?"

"No I just don't know what this switch does."

"OK is there anything that stops working when you turn it off? What is the problem we are trying to solve?"

"None, I guess, I was just worried because this switch doesn't appear to do anything."

Then I investigate, many times it is exactly what you are saying, either a light in a fan location or a CF with no light kit, so the second switch is not used.

Even more often it's a switched outlet they were not aware of. Another one is they had their painter or some dude from 7-Eleven replace outlets and they forgot or more likely didn't know to break the tab on a switched plug.

I then bill them for $130.00 to tell them that switch does nothing or to break tab on switched plug to make it half switched.

Very rarely does 'switch does nothing' calls result in anything meaningful for the customer , unless you consider confirmation that the switch does nothing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Dishwasher shut off? We have one by our disposal switch.

I've got 3 switches near the kitchen sink, 1 for the light over the sink, 1 for the disposal and 1 goes to the outlet for the dishwasher. I always wondered why the dishwasher would need a switch...

It doesn't. Some municipalities require a disconnecting means for DW. If they do either a switch or a plug satisfies the requirements, never do you need two methods of disconnect at the appliances in conjunction with third method (breaker).

The concept is that a repairman has a disconnecting means at appliance/equipment so someone can't flip the breaker on while they replace the board on the washing machine. Unplugging it will do or switching it off will do, no need for both.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post