SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Question for Tom Selleck?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Tom Selleck? Login/Join 
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
See you have started a new round of reverse mortgage TV ads. Do you actually have a reverse mortgage on any of your properties?
Any experience with reverse mortgages, beyond what you read from the script you are given?
Every time one of these ads appears you appear to cheapen your image unless you can prove actual personal experience with a reverse mortgage!
Please prove your experience beyond a paid shill!

Seriously, this is the shit you worry about all night?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PD,

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...150090454#3150090454

One of multiple threads, reverse mortgages are scams or similar.

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
The Geico lizard is actually CGI and there are no known geckos who can speak, let alone with a Lombardo accent. /rant
. I don’t know about that, are you sure?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...150090454#3150090454

One of multiple threads, reverse mortgages are scams or similar.

I would not say they are scams. They have a place. And that place would seem to be to help people with low/small incomes to survive, including as I understand it, being able to live in their own homes.

Speaking for myself, if I were considering a reverse mortgage I would read all the terms very carefully!

For those who actually use them, they should realize that they are actually selling their home.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He is a paid shill. So what?

All he is is an actor. He doesn't owe you experience or expertise on the product. He is a handsome face, a nice voice, and a certain persona, and he is selling that to the advertisers to make their product more appealing. We all know, or should know, that, and evaluate the product on its merits.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have more respect for entertainers who do not do endorsements. My memory of Lorne Greene of Bonanza is not of Paw Cartright, but of some shill whining about how much his next ambulance ride will cost. For some of these people it is a clear signal that their career is over. There are exceptions of course, like Dolly Parton who along with Porter Wagoner endorsed Duz detergent at the start of her career.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Nothing against Tom but when I see him of late and he is starting to age.... which is natural... my first thought is give that hair dye a rest Tom... you are starting to look like William Shatner back in the early 80's when he had that wig on as TJ Hooker... nothing wrong with gray or even less hair.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He looks pretty good for 74. I'm 72 and I'm afraid I never looked very good.

There's nothing wrong with a commercial for Reverse Mortgages or an actor doing such commercials, IMO.

Actually, we have considered a RM as we don't have kids, no one we feel obligated to leave our house to and, in considering it, we thought that we could take the $ now, spend it while we can, and let the entity to whom we plan to leave the house decide how and if it can pay off the RM and take possession of the house. We won't be here and we won't care.

The main reason we have not followed up, is that I expect my wife will live longer than I will and she may have a new life after I am gone (hard to believe she could ever find a man as great as me, but possibly one that's close). In that event, let them make the choices rather than be saddled with a choice we make now when we are not desperate for money.

In any event, I generally like Selleck and don't give a hoot if he does commercials for any legal product.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Are some of you guys actually calling Tom Selleck a "washed up actor"?

Good grief.

Yes. I like him and respect him greatly, but yes: He's washed up. It doesn't mean he's lost his chops, or his edge, but it means that he's not pulling the big paychecks that he used to for putting asses in seats. He was what I would consider Hollywood Royalty for a time. Now he isn't.

Change my mind.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
For some of these people it is a clear signal that their career is over.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You would be better off taking out a loan with one of the pay day agencies or a bank with your house as collateral.

Just another clown taking advantage of old people and trying to get in the pearly gates. Sorry...no room.

I have to change channels when he comes on. Nothing like ripping people off. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I trust him cause I know him. He's honorable and honest dedicated to the nypd like no other.
The family dinners (suppers) are testament to ...
WE ARE INFLUENCED BY THE TV, RADIO, Internet .... Our desire to be led is up there next to God in our lives.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless, of course, you have insufficient means to pay back the loan. People get in situations they cannot resolve without some kind of help. Yes, it will cost them. For example, widow woman is living off surviving spouse social security benefit. She has not maintained the house, and it would cost a bundle to bring up to snuff for sale. Sometimes it's hard for people who plan to understand people who don't, but trust me, there's a shit ton. Many people fail to understand that they MUST save for retirement now, it won't be done for you. There are still wives ignorant of their financial position. People get hit with catastrophic illnesses....the reasons are many.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I thought commercials like this were only for washed up athletes.... Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
It's not so much the ads these days or the content, it's the constant repetition that really wears me out.
Medicare ads and that ex comedian; wish they would just go away.
Course they wouldn't spend billion$ on ads if they didn't work 'eh?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You would be better off taking out a loan with one of the pay day agencies or a bank with your house as collateral.

Just another clown taking advantage of old people and trying to get in the pearly gates. Sorry...no room.

I have to change channels when he comes on. Nothing like ripping people off. Mad

You're essentially taking a mortgage on your house with a balloon payment that's not due until no borrower-- you or your spouse, if married-- remains in the house.

Want to sell the house? Fine. The HECM gets paid off at closing. Anything in excess of the HECM, you keep.

You die, or go into a skilled care facility, and the kids want the house? Fine... they can buy it from you or the estate and get financing. Or nobody wants the house, and the bank now owns it.

As long as you're alive and the taxes/insurance are current, it's your house. You live in it.

Absent an external player-- like your kids sucking the line of credit dry-- nobody's getting cheated.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call a guy starring in a current primetime network series "washed up," and I find it hard to believe he's so mercenary that he's only doing these commercials for the money. He has probably convinced himself, however dubiously, that these reverse mortgages are somehow a reasonable financial deal.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Are some of you guys actually calling Tom Selleck a "washed up actor"?

Good grief.

Yes. I like him and respect him greatly, but yes: He's washed up. It doesn't mean he's lost his chops, or his edge, but it means that he's not pulling the big paychecks that he used to for putting asses in seats. He was what I would consider Hollywood Royalty for a time. Now he isn't.

Change my mind.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
For some of these people it is a clear signal that their career is over.

Sorry for the late reply. I don't want to change your mind, you will believe what you choose to but I would like to see some sources for the claims you make.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Washed up? Last I checked, and I don't even watch TV except when I'm over my parents' house visiting, Blue Bloods is in its 10th season.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
We record Blue Bloods every week and the reason is Tom Selleck

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So while their parents, the idealistic Baby Boomers, might be miffed to see a movie star in a TV commercial, millennials would likely see the situation as unexceptional, Pollak says, and move on to the questions that do concern them.
^^^^
Maybe this explains it. {Quote from Chicago Tribune}

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post