SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Question for Tom Selleck?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Tom Selleck? Login/Join 
posted
See you have started a new round of reverse mortgage TV ads. Do you actually have a reverse mortgage on any of your properties?
Any experience with reverse mortgages, beyond what you read from the script you are given?
Every time one of these ads appears you appear to cheapen your image unless you can prove actual personal experience with a reverse mortgage!
Please prove your experience beyond a paid shill!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why? He's selling a product some people need and find useful. People can make up their own minds. Do you really believe anyone selling something must have used it themselves?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of reverse mortgages but they have their place.

As a kid my brother and I delivered newspapers. A number of my customers were widows. I'm pretty sure they struggled to get by but didn't want to give up the house their husband left them. Honestly, I think they skipped many meals at the end of the month waiting for that social security check. These were tough proud women and I'm certain they never mentioned the tight finances to their kids or family. They just struggled through.

They could not refinance their homes because they had no income/way to pay back the loan. When they died the kids sold the property and bought a second home in the mountains.

This product has a place. Keeps people in their homes and provides some much needed funds for some individuals.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Don’t recall seeing him a lot of big roles lately. Man’s gotta eat. Older widows getting a reverse mortgage may be a better way to make it by than turning tricks, the way older actors seemingly have to do to make it by.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
HEY; this isn't his first rodeo!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don’t recall seeing him a lot of big roles lately.

I guess you don’t watch “Blue Bloods” on CBS on Friday nights. His “Jesse Stone” made-for-TV movies frequently show up on Hallmark’s “Movies & Mysteries” channel.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
He's an actor being paid to read lines and perform a part.
Why would you think that this is something he is personally promoting?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
He's an actor being paid to read lines and perform a part.
Why would you think that this is something he is personally promoting?

No shit. Eek

I don't know why anyone would get bent out of shape about someone in a commercial?

Tom narrated a series on Arnold Palmer on the Golf channel too ... what am I supposed to read in those tea leaves? Frown

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Don’t recall seeing him a lot of big roles lately.

I guess you don’t watch “Blue Bloods” on CBS on Friday nights. His “Jesse Stone” made-for-TV movies frequently show up on Hallmark’s “Movies & Mysteries” channel.

I don’t have cable, and no, I wouldn’t call CBS or made-for-tv movie roles for hallmark “big roles. But perhaps your sarcasm went over my head. Razz

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Geico lizard is actually CGI and there are no known geckos who can speak, let alone with a Lombardo accent. /rant

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Old washed up actors have to make money somehow.

In the past doing TV ads was "above them", but even Matthew McConaughey is doing them.

They gotta pay for all that expensive shit they have somehow!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tom's 74 now. Cut the old man some slack will ya! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Washed up? He could be 94 and I'd never refer to him as "washed up". The man is an icon.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Washed up? He could be 94 and I'd never refer to him as "washed up". The man is an icon.

Personally, I agree with you. I really like selleck. But if he doesn’t put asses in seats, he’s considered “washed up” by those who would employ him. It’s unfortunate, but it’s the way things work.

Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I figured Blue Bloods would be more popular around here. He's currently active on a tv show and he's getting a paycheck. Don't know how that equates to "washed up"?

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
When Tom Cruise is doing commercials, and CBS TV series and made-for-TV Hallmark specials, and not snagging leading roles for multi-million dollar budget Hollywood productions, will you say that he isn't "washed up?"

Come on.

I'm sure he'll still be as capable then as Tom Selleck is now, but there's a long drop from the one to the other in terms of take-home pay.

Asses. In. Seats.

posted Hide Post
This is what a washed up old actor is paid. How much he gets from reruns of Blue Bloods & Magnum PI we do not know.

"In fact, for starring in the role of Frank Reagen, Selleck brings home a paycheck of $200,000 per episode, which is up from his initial salary of $150,000 per episode. Though that's a pretty impressive payout, Selleck was paid more during his Mangum P.I."

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I don’t see the problem with him doing the reverse mortgage ads. Don’t want one? Don’t get one.

Anyone who has two brain cells to rub together knows Selleck would’ve been a much larger star than he is if he were a liberal and was never affiliated with the NRA. That “washed up” actor still has a better portfolio than us, I’m sure.

His acting chops were never the problem.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
This is what a washed up old actor is paid.

Undoubtedly, he has long lived a lifestyle somewhat commensurate with wealth. This is not a judgemental statement on the man, I would do the same. It takes solid planning and a steady income to maintain. When you're not the top billing on Hollywood productions anymore, you do what you have to do. And I don't begrudge him for it one bit. He's a talented actor, and an interesting personality. To boot, and as noted by PowerSurge, he's a strong ally for our side. So they're not exactly seeking him out in his "golden years" the way they are actors like woke lefty Patrick Stewart.

He chose his side, stated his piece, and got kicked to the curb. And now, he's gotta work to maintain his life. Would you do any different? This is what I mean when I agree with Rhino about his use of the term "washed up." Anyone wanna pick that apart?

I've always liked Tom Selleck. I'm glad he's working. That some of us are peeved that he's taking jobs that they disagree with is... I guess, inconsequential to me, but puzzling all the same.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Are some of you guys actually calling Tom Selleck a "washed up actor"?

Good grief.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post