SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Who Shrunk The Shaving Cream?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Shrunk The Shaving Cream? Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
Say the subject several times fast. For years, I have used Barbasol shaving cream. Last time at the store, I picked up a can and noticed it now had a texture to it and felt different. When I got home, I noticed it contained 7 ounces. Recently, I checked Walgreens and Meier and noticed that was all they had. However, WalMart had the original 10 ounce can and it was less than the smaller ones elsewhere.

I hope the mfr is not phasing out the larger cans. Another mfr phased out a 1 ounce eye drop that I use and now only sells the half ounce. The larger was much cheaper per amount than the smaller.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Inflation.

https://mises.org/wire/inflation-beginners

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using a mug and brush with shaving soap cakes for about 50 years. Ran out of soap recently and no local stores carry it anymore. Found a supplier on-line, ordered 4 cakes of soap for $5.00, but the delivery charge was another $6.00.

I'll just go and strop my razor now.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
I have been using a mug and brush with shaving soap cakes for about 50 years. Ran out of soap recently and no local stores carry it anymore. Found a supplier on-line, ordered 4 cakes of soap for $5.00, but the delivery charge was another $6.00.

I'll just go and strop my razor now.

Williams Mug soap?

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I like Williams Mug. The local drug store carries it and I keep a few pucks on hand to hold me over when I run out of Tabac.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Now that you pointed it out I noticed my shaving cream can is smaller and shorter than I remember.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s been that way with soap as well. It was shocking to go from a 3oz “bath bar” of Irish Spring to a 10oz Duke Cannon bar of soap, made on equipment that was making USGI soap bars in the 50’s.

And yeah, a brush and shave soap compared to the canned stuff is, in a way, like paying for seats in coach and getting to sit in first class while the people paying first class ticket prices have to ride in coach. Far better experience with any shave soap I’ve tried so far than anything I’ve tried in a can, no question.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
It’s been that way with soap as well. It was shocking to go from a 3oz “bath bar” of Irish Spring to a 10oz Duke Cannon bar of soap, made on equipment that was making USGI soap bars in the 50’s.

And yeah, a brush and shave soap compared to the canned stuff is, in a way, like paying for seats in coach and getting to sit in first class while the people paying first class ticket prices have to ride in coach. Far better experience with any shave soap I’ve tried so far than anything I’ve tried in a can, no question.

I definitely agree. And that doesn't even mention the convenience of only having to buy it every 6 months.

Well, 6 months for the little Williams Mug pucks. A big puck of Tabac lasts me about a year. But, I only do one quick pass per morning. I'm sure the guys who do multiple passes probably only get a few months out of a puck.

When I used canned shaving cream, it typically lasted a couple months.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I use Williams also, but like a bit of the canned stuff on top to give it some body.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The shrinkage has been happening for years in most products. My gripe is ice cream. Used to be a half gallon was a half gallon. Then we started getting 1.75 gallon, 1.5 gallon, and I recently saw a 1.4 gallon. Funniest thing was when Safeway downsized theirs to 1.5 gallon, and it was that way for several years. Then they re-introduced the full 1/2 gallon as a "NEW larger size".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The shrinkage has been happening for years in most products.

Yup. I first noticed it in canned foods. Recipes commonly called for 16 ounce cans of this or that, and now 15 or even 14 ounce cans are the rule. I expect to see tuna offered in shot glasses one of these days.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Dannon yogurt will ship in thimbles, too. But at least you can recycle them if you sew.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who Shrunk The Shaving Cream?

The same people who gave us 12-oz. pound packages of bacon and 11.5-oz. pound bags of coffee.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The shrinkage has been happening for years in most products. My gripe is ice cream. Used to be a half gallon was a half gallon. Then we started getting 1.75 gallon, 1.5 gallon, and I recently saw a 1.4 gallon. Funniest thing was when Safeway downsized theirs to 1.5 gallon, and it was that way for several years. Then they re-introduced the full 1/2 gallon as a "NEW larger size".
We in the southeast are fortunate to have Publix, a chain of grocery stores, with headquarters in Lakeland FL.

Much like Costco's house brand (Kirkland Signature), anything labeled "Publix Premium" is high quality stuff.

I have never had any store-bought ice cream as good as the Publix Premium. Their half gallon containers actually have a half gallon, 64 ounces. When on sale, which is fairly frequently, the half gallon cost is $3.50. They have a large variety of flavors, and they usually have The One True Flavor: Maple Walnut!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
And a dollar has shrunk too. Won't buy hardly anything now.

Toilet paper rolls are now narrower than ever before.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hadn't bought cereal in a long time- Was surprised how thin the boxes are now. Cereal boxes must have been Huge when I was a kid.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post