SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CYCLISTS...Trek vs. Cannondale (Hybrid)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CYCLISTS...Trek vs. Cannondale (Hybrid) Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
My wife rides an Electra Townie 7D and likes it very much. It's priced at around $650.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've had two high end bikes since 1990. Both Cannondale. The name on the bike only covers the frame. One company will make the majority of components. Another makes the seat. Another makes the wheels. Another makes the tires, and so on and so forth.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I was in Walmart this evening and they had some nice 26" bikes with 18 speeds for $126. Do I need another one?? Well...not in Pink! Eek

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I started with a Walmart bike. Second bike was an entry level Trek. Last two were Cannondale. The difference between a Walmart bike and my Cannodale is like the difference between a logging truck and a Jaguar. There are much better higher end bikes. But, there aren't much worse than the logging truck.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Walmart bikes are not always put together by people who know what they are doing.

The components are cheap and inferior materials. When a component like a shifter fails on a Walmart bike it usually costs more than the bike to get the repair completed.

I would much rather go to a bike shop and buy a used bike than buy a Walmart bike.

As to Trek or Cannondale both are okay bikes, but if the budget is $700.00 you can do better by looking at Giant/Liv, Orbea, or Bianchi.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My bro is going into this with "buy once, cry once" thinking. I told him he was on the right track. After riding my circa-1984 74-pound steel Myata for YEARS and then popping the bucks for an Orbea that is 75% lighter Smile, the difference is night and day. The Myata, with some slight mods, has been converted into my indoor trainer housed in a Kurt Kinetics Rock 'n Roll trainer.

I can appreciate the low cost of a Walmart bike, but you're gonna get EXACTLY what you pay for. I'd rather buy a used low-end Trek or Cannondale than give Walmart my business anyway... Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My one good road bike, bought in 1991, is a Cannondale.

I rode hybrids and mountain bikes to death, including two Treks. My current hybrid bike is a Giant.

YMWV.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Previously covered, needs repeated. If you use a bike, it needs to fit, and it needs to work well. You cannot run well in someone else's sneaker 2 sizes larger just because he does. And you'll need service, consider a local shop with good reviews to keep you enjoying the ride.

They should listen to how and where you ride to make good recommendations. There is more value in the right fit and appropriate model, than between the top 6 bike brands.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can appreciate the low cost of a Walmart bike, but you're gonna get EXACTLY what you pay for. I'd rather buy a used low-end Trek or Cannondale than give Walmart my business anyway... Wink

Yep...Walmart bikes probably have been ridden around in the store and are now used.

Think I will take a look at the Good Will store for bikes. The books there go for a $1 at times and a homeless person could probably scratch out a living selling them on Ebay.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Caneau nailed it. At this price, there’s almost no real difference. Maybe some slight differences in components, but for what she’s interested in, not enough to make any real difference. The frames are probably made in the same factory in China. The only thing that really matters is getting a good fit. Trek and Cannondale will have different geometries, meaning they will fit differently. Best thing to do is ride both and buy the one that feels the most comfortable.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've always had great luck with Trek. Why are you complaining about it in this section?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The one with the better grade components. All things being equal, we have two Treks.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Check this one out:

Specialized Roll Sport

We got one for my wife to use on family bike rides and she LOVES it. I'll be honest, I take it for a spin myself when nobody's looking. Wink

It has disc brakes, an upright seating posture, wide tires, and tons of comfort. Well within your budget, too.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a Trek FX7.3 and a Specialized Sirrus - both smaller 15" frames for my wife and daughter. I had a Trek FX7500 and loved it.

At that price point ($400-700), you'll do fine.

Avoid the Walmart bike.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Check this one out:

Specialized Roll Sport

We got one for my wife to use on family bike rides and she LOVES it. I'll be honest, I take it for a spin myself when nobody's looking. Wink

It has disc brakes, an upright seating posture, wide tires, and tons of comfort. Well within your budget, too.

I might be willing to admit as much. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

I retired recently and want to start some casual cycling around my neighborhood and local bike paths. I'd settled on a Trek (Verve 2), but it's out of stock at my LBS and they can't get one until June 1st at the earliest.

Now that I've got the bug to get out and the weather is finally getting warm enough to ride in the Chicago area, I'm not thrilled about waiting till June (especially if that date slips).

Another local shop has a Cannondale Quick Disc 4 for $50 off, which would make it the same price as the Verve 2 ($650).

So, I'm wondering what you all think. Wait for the Trek? - or pull the trigger on the Cannondale and start riding? Thanks in advance for any input!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Verve 2

Rich, the Verve has fatter tires vs the Cannondale. These bikes have comparable build quality and components, so it may come down to preference.

My preference would be the bike with the skinnier tires. The Verve looks to have the 700*45 vs. the Cannondale's 700*32. If you're on pavement, go with the Cannondale.

Either way, I think you'll be happy. If you're not a DIY kind of guy, buy a reasonable maintenance plan with the LBS. A well tuned and operating bike will be more fun to ride. Quick tune up kind of thing (adjusting brakes and derailleurs.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russ. I was heading out of town for a week, but made a quick visit to another shop to test ride the Cannondale before leaving.

To me the Trek and Cannondale were pretty similar, but I thought the Trek had a bit better ride. I was resigned to waiting till June for the Trek, but happened to check the website of another LBS and they have the Trek in stock now.

I liked the fellow at the first shop who was very helpful, but I’m anxious to get out riding. So, I plan on buying the bike at the one shop, but having it serviced at the other.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post