SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Brand new truck - now wrecked.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brand new truck - now wrecked. Login/Join 
posted
I had my shiny brand new 2018 Silverado out in the mud on the Sands Plains last Thursday. I ran it through the car wash twice to restore it to its usual beauty. Cost 12 bucks.
The very next day, t-boned at 41 and Commerce. By a chick in a wore out old Monte Carlo whose brakes had failed. The truck is now in the lot of the body shop. I just visited it. It looks sad and lonely. I know it misses me. I miss it. Possible repair date: Late November.
Rental vehicle is a Tyotie RAV4. Which was previously rented by Cheech and Chong. The stench of pot in it will bring a squadron of dope dogs down on me if I get stopped in it.
Minor ray of sunshine: No crash related injuries sustained.
As my Mother used to say, this is why we cant have nice things!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The stench of pot in it will bring a squadron of dope dogs down on me if I get stopped in it.

Why take that chance? No, you "dindu nuffin," but it would be a huge hassle while it got straightened out. Just because it was the one given to you doesn't mean you have to accept it. I occasionally get cars to work on that have pot smell in them. I refuse to road test them.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Egregore is right, if you explain it to the rental company they should work with you.

That said, worst case scenario get a bottle of unscented Febreze. If it can take the campfire scent out of clothing after walking through a burnt out house, it can take out weed-stench.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, worst case scenario get a bottle of unscented Febreze.

This begs the question of why the rental company didn't do it. And - although we don't know this - bill the previous renter for cleanup.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad you are ok. Pity about the new truck.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell the rental company as they might try to charge you the cleaning fee, and also get a different car from them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rental vehicle is a Tyotie RAV4. Which was previously rented by Cheech and Chong. The stench of pot in it will bring a squadron of dope dogs down on me if I get stopped in it.

And yet, you still took delivery and drove off the lot. Forget what's been said about taking the chance above, the pot smell should have been enough to say "hell no" right there. If there is any smell on earth that's worse than pot, I haven't found it. Even death smells better.

Q

Posts: 26341 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Even death smells better.

Well, SOME death smells better.

Youngest son leased a Tacoma a few days ago. Roughly one week into the lease, an idiot turned left RIGHT IN FRONT of him. Of course he t-boned the idiot. Fortunately, he managed to get on the brakes hard and no injuries resulted.

I'm convinced that we imply are not allowed to have nice things. Idiots of the world and their jealousy prevent this.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And yet, you still took delivery and drove off the lot. Forget what's been said about taking the chance above, the pot smell should have been enough to say "hell no" right there. If there is any smell on earth that's worse than pot, I haven't found it. Even death smells better.
OP is former PO-Lice so he has the secret handshake, brah.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not like Marquette is that big of a city, but there are a lot of shitty drivers there. Heading there in a few minutes to go shopping. Hope no asshole hits me..lol.. I'm not going anywhere for the first couple of snowstorms...I laugh at the people in the roundabouts...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
quote:

OP is former PO-Lice so he has the secret handshake, brah.

Oh, I know he is/was LE. That's why I don't even count that. Smile

Q

Posts: 26341 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
You want to exchange that rental as soon as you can - you might be held responsible for the cleaning charge.

Tell them there is an odd oder that appeared when you turned on the heat/air conditioner.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
That said, worst case scenario get a bottle of unscented Febreze.

This begs the question of why the rental company didn't do it. And - although we don't know this - bill the previous renter for cleanup.

May have occurred between the previous renter and the current one. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This thread has a click-bait title. I'm going to start doing what I promised previously and start locking such threads.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apologies for the click bait. Changed it, hopefully for the better. And I was desperate for transportation so it was the bong water express or shanks mare. Enterprise had no other available vehicles. I had a conversation with Enterprise about the stench and it is noted on the rental contract.
And its a good training opportunity for the dope dog!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How did the Monte Carlo fair? The PT Cruiser that hit my truck three years ago buckled at the sunroof. Hopefully she has a enough insurance coverage and you can go after it for diminished value. In my case, the guy only had $25k property damage which was just enough to cover repairs to my truck and a rental while my truck was repaired.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
You want to exchange that rental as soon as you can - you might be held responsible for the cleaning charge.

Tell them there is an odd oder that appeared when you turned on the heat/air conditioner.

This is what I'd do, at least document it even if they don't swap it out.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was rear ended while driving my old Nismo Frontier and I told the rental co that I absolutely needed a pick up...they put me in a brand new Dakota...Might try that approach?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
As my Mother used to say, this is why we cant have nice things!

I've been pondering this statement. You should have nice things (assuming you can afford them). Expensive things should be insured - you might damage the item or someone else might damage the item.

Question, is there a 'quality' shop that can do the work sooner? If they can't start until late Nov, you might not have it back until early Dec. If that's the best timing you can get, make sure to check how long you get your rental... I think some policies have a max number of days.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
How did the Monte Carlo fair? The PT Cruiser that hit my truck three years ago buckled at the sunroof. Hopefully she has a enough insurance coverage and you can go after it for diminished value. In my case, the guy only had $25k property damage which was just enough to cover repairs to my truck and a rental while my truck was repaired.

While we are a mandatory insurance state we also under No-Fault insurance here since 1973. Sucks to be us. Best thing we can do here is what is called Mini-Tort. We can claim $1000 from the other driver's insurance company as long as they have insurance. Not that uncommon for people to get insurance, make one payment and let it lapse. Or the fake Proof Of Insurance game. Hence the need for Uninsured Motorist Coverage.

We also have three forms of Collision coverage here. Broad Form, covers with no deductible regardless if at fault or not, Standard, covers with deductible again regardless of at fault or not and Limited, covers if at fault 50% or less. If you have no collision coverage the maximum you can get is the Mini Tort previously mentioned again as long as they have insurance.

Cities like Detroit, the estimate is less than 50-50 that they have insurance.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post