SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Heartbroken. My cat has lymphoma (edit: responding well to chemo! Pg2)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heartbroken. My cat has lymphoma (edit: responding well to chemo! Pg2) Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll spoil her as much as I can, and make her last few days the best I can. Then I'll be holding her when she goes. It's how we do it.

Not sure how the vet will handle it, given that they won't let you in the office right now. Maybe we can get them to come to our house.

Whatever happens, she won't be alone.

I appreciate the kind words. This one is gonna be rough. Been through this with cats and dogs before, but she is special for some reason. We bonded as the day she came home.

Edit 9/23:

Quite possibly the best cat that has even been. The Queen of Gingers. My little Molly left us tonight, after a short battle with cancer. We are heartbroken, but are lifted up that she is somewhere happy, snuggled up under the covers, purring and snoring, waiting for dinner. See you soon girl. I love you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fwbulldog,

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
thanks for the update. You and I sound very similar in our thoughts on such horrible situations.

Best of luck and enjoy your remaining time together.

Do note our vet originally told me I could not be present when Jacks received the injection but eventually backed down.

Also our vet had provided a number for a traveling vet service that comes to your home. Unfortunately they were scheduling for 2 days in the future and our need was "now". That service gave me the number of a competitor who could come that night at 7:30pm, but again, we needed it "now".

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry. We lost our dog Lola two years ago, five days of agony and multiple vet and ER visits for us to no avail. I know how you are feeling.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
My heart goes out to you and Molly. Pets are family. Dog or cat or any other creature gives unconditional love. Take care.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:

Not sure how the vet will handle it, given that they won't let you in the office right now. Maybe we can get them to come to our house.

This in large part is why our recent last day was so bad. I wish I'd known to ask for an at home visit although no idea if they'd have done that.

**email sent**

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for your situation, this really sucks. Many vets, even in today's environment, will allow you to enter their building to perform a euthanasia with all the family present. They might take her back to put the catheter in, but the rest they often will do with you present.

If you haven't already, ask your vet if Lomustine might be an option. Depending on where the cancer is in the body, it can give you precious time to spend with her, and it can be compounded for a reasonably cheap cost. May be totally inapplicable to your situation, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least offer the thought.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
So sorry

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cats are pretty good people. I'm so sorry.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry.
Never had cats.

My husband brought 1 into our lives and she lived with us for 21-22 years. I’m allergic, so when she passed, I was thinking it was great, finally allergy free ..until after a few days I found myself searching for her. Every day. I realized she had always waited for me at the door when I came home, followed me around like my shadow, and that when she wasn’t there, my house felt empty. Even with all my pups.

Another cat now resides with us, and I am so lucky in that she has the same interest in me (and less fur). She will never replace the girl that taught me how much love a cat has to give, but I’m grateful to have another kitty to guard the house.

I pray your cat’s remaining days with you are peaceful, and that you are able to find comfort in the care that you’re able to provide. Know she loves you, too.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Sorry you are going through this. We just went through a similar loss of our beloved 8 y.o. lab, Remy. It hurts more than it should.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
So very sorry you have to go through this.
I'll be devastated when one of mine go.
Everything I've ever loved has either left or died . .. acceptance is a bitch.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Some good news! Molly is responding well to the chemo and steroids. There is no cure for lymphoma, but some cats respond better than others to treatment.

We saw an oncologist, and she recommended Lumustine and steroid injections. Dexa-something.

Molly’s nodes have shrunk to almost nothing, and she is almost completely back to herself. She’s gained back a pound, and isn’t hiding in the closet anymore.

We know it’s temporary, but if we can give her a few extra months of quality life we’re going to give it a shot. Treatment has been fairly affordable so far. The chemo is about $100/dose. She’ll need it about once a month, if she continues to respond well.

Thanks again for all the kind words. Every day with them is a gift.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/hwX4O_Bxz8A

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
wonderful news.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hang in there Molly! Good news, hopefully she continues to respond well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
This is very, VERY, good news.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Good news indeed.

Our kitty Chauncey had been diagnosed with lymphoma and between chemotherapy and steroids we were able to give him five more years with a great quality of life.

He lived until he was 16 years old.
One of the sweetest kitties I have ever seen.

Best wishes to Molly for a great outcome.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Good news indeed.

Our kitty Chauncey had been diagnosed with lymphoma and between chemotherapy and steroids we were able to give him five more years with a great quality of life.

He lived until he was 16 years old.
One of the sweetest kitties I have ever seen.

Best wishes to Molly for a great outcome.

Thanks! If you don’t mind, I’ll send you an email.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
that's great news.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! If you don’t mind, I’ll send you an email.

Replied.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Bless you and yours through this. Stay grounded.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post