SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Heartbroken. My cat has lymphoma (edit: responding well to chemo! Pg2)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heartbroken. My cat has lymphoma (edit: responding well to chemo! Pg2) Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
God damn this hurts to write. My 6 year old ginger cat has lymphoma, the really bad kind. We adopted her from a shelter in 2014 when she was 6 months old.

She has been my constant companion. Even with heroic efforts of chemo there is no cure, and best case buying at 6-9 months, which I'm not financially able to handle. Just got the surgical biopsy results.

Without aggressive treatment she might have 30 days, and it won't be a good 30 days. I'm so not ready to say goodbye to this one.

Heartbroken. She is so awesome. I was so hopeful that maybe it was an infection, or something other than the worst-case news. But, here we are. With a rough few days ahead. I know what I have to do, but I so don't want to.

My Molly.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/cm_R8KT9v6Y

Edit 9/23:

Quite possibly the best cat that has even been. The Queen of Gingers. My little Molly left us tonight, after a short battle with cancer. We are heartbroken, but are lifted up that she is somewhere happy, snuggled up under the covers, purring and snoring, waiting for dinner. See you soon girl. I love you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fwbulldog,

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear your news.

There is nothing more to be said, but to hope the passing is pain free and not drawn out.

Anyone who has an ounce of soul knows that losing a pet takes part of you with it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You gave her good years of love and happy life.

She gave you joy in return.

I know that does not diminish the pain, but hope that you can remember the joy that you and she have shared.

It is no small thing to have shared what you have.

I am sorry for your anguish.

That fur lined hole in the heart, is most difficult, when unoccupied.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That is terrible news. I am so sorry to hear this.

I pray that the time she has remaining is pain free.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fine cat! My condolences.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this.
You gave her a good life, and you will do right with her.
May you find comfort in the days to come.

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
My sincere condolences.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
fwbulldog, God my heart goes out to you and sweet Molly, that sadness is so heavy it breaks my heart and to hear her purring tears me up. What a sweet, sweet, girl and will be greatly missed. Godspeed Molly, you have many waiting on the other side of the bridge to welcome you home...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. We had a cat with some type of cancer several years ago. It tore us up but he had 10 good years with us. Three months later, I found one of our current cats abandoned and injured on the side of the road. When one door closes....

As Sigmonkey said above, you gave her the life that she needed and she will be forever grateful. Love her, grieve for her, and remember her. After a while, perhaps you can do the same again for another kitty that needs help.

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Terrible to hear, so very sorry. We just lost a guy in a fast and shocking manner. A rare disease, from is he sick to passed in three weeks. The saddest day of my life.

Even at that I wonder if we pushed it too long. Years ago we kept a sick guy going way past reasonable. Talking to the vet we said he still responds well to us, purring and snuggling. The vet says that doesn't mean he isn't in pain. As bad as we felt, that made us feel worse.

The good times and love you've had with Molly will always be.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so sorry.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear - it's awful to get news that a beloved pet must be put down.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Sorry this is happening.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm so sad to hear of this, fwbulldog Frown

We've had nearly the same thing happen with two very young cats, both, like your Molly, just the sweetest cats you could ever hope to know. The latest was my Tabitha, a cat that took to me the instant we laid eyes upon one another and loved me to pieces. I grieved for her for days, and sometimes still do.

I understand your pain all too well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to read this.

My heart goes out to you. I had sisters from the same litter, and lost the beta female, Echo, to cancer. At diagnosis, vet said things were going to get ugly fast and I needed to make a decision sooner rather than later. In hindsight, one of the smartest things I did was schedule the traveling vet for the next day which meant:
  • I was able to spend a whole day with Echo. My last day with Echo she was sick but not ugly sick. I'm comforted that Echo was happy (she was a happy go lucky cat) and comfortable when she passed and I didn't wait too long.
  • I shut the alpha female, Splash, in the bathroom before the traveling vet arrived (i.e. Splash didn't see how Echo passed away). After Echo passed, I had the traveling vet step outside and let Splash see her deceased sister. I had read stories of the sibling crying for weeks while looking for their missing sibling. Splash was sad that Echo passed but at least she knew and got on with her life.
  • It happened at home and no trip to the vet. Splash was already an unruly patient at the vet, and I was concerned that her vet antics would worsen if she knew a vet euthanized Echo.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Rough break. My sympathies.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    So sorry for your situation. I do not envy you while you go through this.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gone but Together Again.
    Dad & Uncle
    Picture of h2oys
    posted Hide Post
    Bulldog, sorry to hear about your cat Molly.

I couldn't post earlier today because your story reminded me about losing our 18-year old dachshund Jacks last week.

He had 4 seizures that day, it was utterly horrible, and we could not get him to ANY vet with any urgency. After the 4th one he was in horrible pain and my wife let our regular vet "have it" and simply told them I was on the way.

All I can recommend is you follow Tatortodds suggestion and schedule it. Don't wait. Let your last day be as pain free as possible for Molly while also allowing you to mentally prepare.

And if I may, I wanted Jacks last vision, touch, voice, to be mine before he went to permanent slumber. I heartily recommend the same for both of your sakes.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    My absolute, heartfelt condolences. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post