SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anti-Rant - Tire Work
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-Rant - Tire Work Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Shop A - Remove 2 old tires and tubes, mount new tires and tubes. No disposal, no balancing (front tractor tires) $37.50 including "Shop Fee".

Shop B - (Shop A is closer but backed up for several days) Remove 4 tubeless tires, install new valve stems, mount 4 new tires (no balancing-trailer) and dispose of old tires. $40.00

Guess who will get my tire business from now on?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not bad at all.

We called around a few shops for mounting the rear tire on the Scout (already removed).
A few were quite pricey >$1-200 for mount/balance.

Shop a little further north, $25.
Their sales staff isn't the best (walked around the showroom for 20 minutes browsing & never even got a "Can I help you with anything?"), but they're more of a volume dealer & jam packed with bikes in the showroom. But, apparently, their svc dept is pretty good.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure dealing with the tubes didn't play a large part in the overall costs?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Are you sure dealing with the tubes didn't play a large part in the overall costs?

I wondered about that, but still seems like a big difference.

OTOH, I was shocked at the second bill. I was expecting twice that given disposal fees and new valve stems.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Would shop A work with split rims?

Is shop B mostly cars & trucks?

Trailer tires may have a few swear words waiting for them, but tractor tires are the next lever of pain-in-the-assery.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
$37.50 to do that with tube type tires doesn't sound unreasonable. They're a PIA.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Would shop A work with split rims?

Is shop B mostly cars & trucks?

Trailer tires may have a few swear words waiting for them, but tractor tires are the next lever of pain-in-the-assery.

Both are general repair automotive shops that just happen to have a tire machine. Shop B is set up for commercial truck inspections and (I assume) some repair work on commercial trucks.

The tractor tires were 5.00x15 front tires, not like they were 38" 10 ply ag tires or anything.