SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why can't all gas tank fillers be on the same side?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't all gas tank fillers be on the same side? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasn't the tank for the GPW located inside the passenger compartment?

Literally under the driver's seat. As in you lift the driver's seat to fill the tank.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Suppose gas tanks were always on the driver's side of the car. Drivers would then have to park on the right side of an open pump in order to fill their tanks. During crowded hours, all spots on the right sides of pumps would be filled even while most spots on the left sides of pumps remained empty.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/e...s-have-fuel-doors-on

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Literally under the driver's seat. As in you lift the driver's seat to fill the tank.

Thanks. Wasn't sure. I remember seeing a GPA in Australia and wasn't that familiar with the GPW.

The GPA was the first vehicle to be driven around the world. Not to be confused with The Great Race that was from New York to Paris, they used ferry boats, 169 days, and one bicycle. Wink

Back in the day Henry Ford decided that the guy should always drive. The lady shouldn't have to step over the horse mess in the road and she should ride on the curb side of the car. This put the driver in the traffic when he got out of the car. Ages beyond that, it was deemed better to have the exhaust fumes directed away from the travel lanes as opposed to pooled up in the middle of the road, hence the exhaust is typically on the passenger side if not dual or center exhaust. Since the fuel filler neck has the hoses going to the fuel sending unit aren't supposed to route over the exhaust system so it will not degrade prematurely, this is why the fuel cap is most likely on the driver's side of the car. Whichever side is the drivers side will be determined by the country the vehicle is to be primarily sold in.

Just like that. Horse poop = gas cap location.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I just found this out a few months ago.

Instantly See Which Side of Your Car the Gas Tank Is On

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wl466HA628

You just figured that out? Big Grin

If there is no arrow, the side of the pump with the hose is the side your fill cap is on.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
better yet ,

why not put a filler door on both sides , for an extra $27.50 on the price tag.

that would solve all the problems.

no matter which direction you need to approach the pump,
you are g.t.g.

Or just buy an electric mobile!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
If there is no arrow, the side of the pump with the hose is the side your fill cap is on.

I used to think that was true, but I've come across a few cars where it isn't. Can't remember specifically which ones though, but they were produced in the last fifteen years.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Earlier Toyota FJ-40's had the passenger sitting right on top of the tank. But at least it had a filler neck so you didn't have to lift the seat to fill.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Just like that. Horse poop = gas cap location.

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the gas pump symbol is standardized internationally and not 'supposed' to swap sides.

Makes sense the FJ was similar to the GP vehicle. The US government gave Toyota a GP chassis and a GM engine and was told to build a Foreign Jeep that was later given the Toyota brand. The current FJ nomenclature pays homage to this vehicle.

It was basically the same way that the government ripped off the GP patents from the American Bantam Corporation and gave them to Willys-Overland and Ford.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so we are in agreement,
it's the chauffer's job to get the gas put in ,
before! we go anywhere .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fuel fill is typically on the opposite side of the exhaust exit.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just put gas in the car and had to wait as usual. The lane adjoining mine was set up for a passenger side fuel fill. It was some kind of Ford SUV with DUAL exhausts. The fuel filler was on the Right. Learn something every day.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Yep, I remember the ‘behind the plate’ fill spout. I also recall one behind one of the tail lights in a 1956 Chevy that my Dad owned. Used to drive the service guys crazy. No pump your own then.
Mike

Cool design... but really bad. If you over filled it the gas would splash up and flood the back of the light with gas. After which I was always afraid I'd hit the brakes and get a boom! Big Grin After the first couple times I made sure to never fill it. The other problem, more of a problem when they were old and brittle... I told someone "It's under the left tail light" they grabbed the bullet lens and twisted, snap, crunch.... there went an expensive OEM lens. Roll Eyes

My two Japanese cars have been on the right.
My 'murican cars have been on the left.
Though there was the one truck with them on both sides.
And one of the old under the rear license plate jobbers too.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Pickup trucks from the 1950s through the early 1970s had their gas tanks right there in the cab with you. Eek You sat with your back to the tank. But at least the filler was easy to find. Roll Eyes

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking the gas pump symbol is standardized internationally and not 'supposed' to swap sides.

I'm with you... I don't think I've ever seen that symbol with the hose on the left side.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I'm with you... I don't think I've ever seen that symbol with the hose on the left side.
I'm trying to remember whether I have ever seen an actual pump with the hose on the left side.

The only one that I can recall is the 100 octane dispenser at the self-service facility at Our Little Airport.

Every other pump that I can remember has the hose on the right side.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
I'm trying to remember whether I have ever seen an actual pump with the hose on the left side.

The only one that I can recall is the 100 octane dispenser at the self-service facility at Our Little Airport.

At risk of thread drift... I have to wonder if that's because the majority are right-handed.

God bless America.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

At risk of thread drift... I have to wonder if that's because the majority are right-handed.
My guess would be lower manufacturing cost if they are all made the same way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
That's entirely believable too.

Back on topic... I remember hearing a number of years ago that Volvo had done a pile of research on which side the filler should be on, with respect to safety. My quickie search this morning doesn't bring me any relevant results, though.

In modern designs, it pretty much comes down to "packaging," though VW says they like to put the filler on the passenger side, so as to keep the driver away from the traffic when filling. (Link) Jaguar's old-school "fillers on both sides" (pic) was a neat thing, though certainly cost-prohibitive these days.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
AMEN.
They all ought to be.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they were all on the same side the lines at Costco would be longer for their gas.....

Dmac

Posts: 22 | Location: Coastal Massachusetts | Registered: July 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post