SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why can't all gas tank fillers be on the same side?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't all gas tank fillers be on the same side? Login/Join 
posted
I'm a pay at the pump with a credit card guy. If I need to take a leak or buy something, I park the car and THEN go inside.

OK, I realize those are two separate issues. Let's deal with the technical part first: Why are fillers on different sides?

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I'm a pay at the pump with a credit card guy. If I need to take a leak or buy something, I park the car and THEN go inside.

OK, I realize those are two separate issues. Let's deal with the technical part first: Why are fillers on different sides?

To confuse female drivers?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Meanness.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I just found this out a few months ago.

Instantly See Which Side of Your Car the Gas Tank Is On

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wl466HA628

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I remember a lot of 1960s and 70s cars having the filler behind the license plate. Probably not a good location in a rear-end crash. If you filled the tank and left the gas cap off, the gas would slosh out every time you accelerated. Fun times.

Try a 1973-87 Chevy/GMC truck with dual tanks … on opposite sides. (I owned one, a 1984 C20, for a time.) IF you got close enough to the pump, AND the hose was long enough, you could snake the hose over the truck to fill the opposite tank. Otherwise, you had to lay your gas nozzle down and turn around to fill it. Other customers waiting, not realizing what you were doing, would zip in and try to grab your pump. Even more fun times.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Yep, I remember the ‘behind the plate’ fill spout. I also recall one behind one of the tail lights in a 1956 Chevy that my Dad owned. Used to drive the service guys crazy. No pump your own then.
Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
In the case of Japanese vs American made (and designed) cars it has to do with which side of the road you drive on. It is so, if you’ve run out of gas on the road, you will be standing safely on the shoulder of the road and not out in traffic.

I’ll probably be told that is urban myth, but how I understand it.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The fuel fill is typically on the opposite side of the exhaust exit.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

So... in the front then? O_o

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
So we can sort out the goofballs?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
In the case of Japanese vs American made (and designed) cars it has to do with which side of the road you drive on. It is so, if you’ve run out of gas on the road, you will be standing safely on the shoulder of the road and not out in traffic.

So care to explain why my Japanese designed and built Nissan, and Japanese designed and built Toyota, but marketed and sold here in the US, have had the fillers on opposite sides?

Also, my last couple of work vehicles, Ford and Chevy, had the fuel fillers on the left side of the vehicle, which contradicts your claim it's to prevent them from being in the traffic side of the road if you're stopped due to fuel starvation.

Yes, you will be told your version is "urban legend," because it is.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
https://blog.allstate.com/gas-...-arent-on-same-side/

"In the United States, there are no regulations that specify where a fuel door should be placed. So, car-company engineers can place the door to the gas tank on whichever side offers the easiest packaging, according to Ford spokesman Mark Schirmer.

“The placement of the fuel door is mainly a factor of fuel tank design, location and underbody packaging,” Nissan’s Communications Manager Steve Yaeger said. “With all of the structure and components located underneath the vehicle, (engineers) would quickly encounter restrictions in trying to route the filler tube to the same side on every vehicle.”

If mechanisms such as a big speaker must be placed on the left side, engineers put the fuel door on the right, says Ford spokesman Mark Schirmer. Fuel door position is not a random choice, but if engineers have a good reason to place fuel doors on the right, that’s where they go."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Most of the time we drive the same few vehicles. Is that a Dodge thing to have the fuel door on the passenger side?

For the most part the driver’s side seems most common, here anyway. Then we have that little pointer thingy to look at.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:

My Ford F350's fill is on the driver's side and my Ford Focus's fill is on the passengers side. Both where built here in the USA. My 1969 Corvair had the fill in the front fender on the driver's side. My 1945 Ford GPW has the tank and fill under the driver's seat. Your assertion doesn't even rise to the level of a myth.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was a Car Talk puzzler many years ago: how to tell which side the fuel filler cap was just by seeing the rear of the car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:

^This one^

Wasn't the tank for the GPW located inside the passenger compartment? The Corvair tank isn't near the exhaust. The filler cap being located behind the tail lights and the gas tank in the cab of the truck are ideas that are long gone.

Most modern vehicles have the gas tank located in the center of the car (between the axles/trailing arms and inside the frame/reinforcements of the unitized body structure) Cars will likely have them under the rear seat cavity and trucks will have them under the cab & bed. The gas filler neck has to have a flexible hose between the filler neck and the gas tank due to torsional rigidity. The pressurized fuel line and return line are typically routed the same way due to crash safety standards.

The idea being that the hoses and lines for the fuel aren't next to the exhaust system and don't degrade prematurely due to the heat.

When a car is reengineered for other countries, they typically change the interior and steering linkage only. Not the undercarriage. Some '80s Nissans had a torsion arm along the firewall for the brake booster on what was now the passenger side of the car. Mail jeeps are the same way, just try to find steering linkage for a RHD Jeep. Wink

Sure, there are exceptions. If you have a Chevy truck with the side saddle gas tank, don't let an NBC reporter put firecrackers in your gas cap.

Can anybody tell me what side the gas cap was on for a steam powered Camaro?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Judging by the lines at our local Costco, it seems like 80% of the fillers are on the driver's side. I usually go the the open passenger side lanes and pull the hose over.

Anybody remember the old VW Bugs with the filler under the front bonnet?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Judging by the lines at our local Costco, it seems like 80% of the fillers are on the driver's side. I usually go the the open passenger side lanes and pull the hose over.

Based on our experience with this, filler tank side should be decided by the flip of a coin. Then the lines would be more even (more or less).

By the way try to avoid getting behind a big truck or SUV in the Costco line.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
better yet ,

why not put a filler door on both sides , for an extra $27.50 on the price tag.

that would solve all the problems.

no matter which direction you need to approach the pump,
you are g.t.g.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post