SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why can't all gas tank fillers be on the same side?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't all gas tank fillers be on the same side? Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My Lincoln is on the right and my wife's Edge is on the left. These are both Ford products. My daughter's Kia is on the left. I am responsible for filling them and get confused from time to time.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
After the first time I fill the vehicle with gas, I have no problem remembering which side it was on for the next fill up.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually there is an arrow on the gas gauge indicating which side the filler is.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the left side on my Silverado.
Slight topic derail:
No gas cap on the Silverado. Just this weird flap thing. Which pukes about fifty cents worth of gas into my shoes from time to time.
Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My Focus has that sans puking.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
better yet ,

why not put a filler door on both sides , for an extra $27.50 on the price tag.

that would solve all the problems.

no matter which direction you need to approach the pump,
you are g.t.g.

Many boats are designed that way. Filler caps on both sides of the stern.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I just found this out a few months ago.

I'm 50 years old. It took my niece's 25 yr old boyfriend to tell me that (about eight months ago).

Mind Blown!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:
better yet ,

you are g.t.g.

just seems logical
two gas doors take out any pilot error when approaching the gas island

QUIT MAKING US THINK !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Idunno, It is not like the thing swaps sides when nobody is looking.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:
better yet ,

you are g.t.g.

That's because they have 2 different tanks. I run some yachts that have 5 fuel fills all over the boat for 5 different tanks.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grabbed my camera today while at the costco gas pumps,
the picture would have shown 13 cars and trucks ,all pointing east and one s.u.v. pointing west against the direction arrows, and the chick texting, .

she saw me and stopped pumping her gas and scatted out of there.
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Filling a gas tank is easy these days,your dash tell you what side.
If you were driving an early t-model, passenger had to get out as tank was under the seat.
A-models were up in the center of the wind screen behind the hood.You in the summer had to pull in the windshield to fuel.
Stop complaining we have it good.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
On the left side on my Silverado.
Slight topic derail:
No gas cap on the Silverado. Just this weird flap thing. Which pukes about fifty cents worth of gas into my shoes from time to time.
Mad

I don't spill it, but my car of the last seven years has no gas cap. Every single time I go to fill the tank I reach to unscrew the cap.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I grabbed my camera today while at the costco gas pumps,
the picture would have shown 13 cars and trucks ,all pointing east and one s.u.v. pointing west against the direction arrows, and the chick texting, .

she saw me and stopped pumping her gas and scatted out of there.
Big Grin

nothing done with yOur actions.

she was creeped out or scared

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

On one of my most favorite radio shows, Car Talk, the weekly Puzzler one week was how to tell which side the filler was on if you're directly behind the car and cannot see the sides? The answer was, the side opposite of the tail pipe.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

On one of my most favorite radio shows, Car Talk, the weekly Puzzler one week was how to tell which side the filler was on if you're directly behind the car and cannot see the sides? The answer was, the side opposite of the tail pipe.

That may have been the case in the past, but many modern cars are dual exhausts, even with the wimpy motors they have.

And if you don't know which side the fuel filler is on, what are the odds you don't know which side the exhaust exits.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
The fuel fill is typically on the opposite side of the exhaust exit.

My car has dual exhausts.

I remember when a lot of American cars had them behind the plate.

Since they always have the little arrow, this isn't a huge problem, even though uniformity would be nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
That may have been the case in the past, but many modern cars are dual exhausts, even with the wimpy motors they have.

Are they true duals with two manifolds, or do they just split the pipe into two exit pipes? If split, sounds like they're just trying to "sporty up" the appearance. Either way, it makes the Car Talk Puzzler obsolete.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I remember when a lot of American cars had them behind the plate.

I remember that era, too. But that followed the '56-'57 gimmick of hiding it behind the taillight.

When in doubt, mumble

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Both sides? Back when GM had the gas tanks on both sides, all the fuss was about turning the truck around to fill the other tank.

If you have one, don't let any Dateline NBC reporter stuff fireworks in the gas door after modifying the cap. Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post