SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My job may have broke me down today.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My job may have broke me down today. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Good LORD above, I've had it. It rained all last year and it looks like this year is going to be a repeat. The lawns are saturated. I get stuck in a lawn EVERY DAY. I just got my back in shape again and I have to pull a 1100 lbs mower through mud like a friggen mule.

Today, I thought I was seeing some light at the end of a long, dark and pissing-me-off tunnel but NO! A downpour catches me with 3 lawns to go. I found myself in my truck smashing my Thermos into the air vent, breaking the vent louvers into about 50 pieces. My only hope was that I'd get struck by lightning and die immediately.

I need to find a new line of work. I really can't go through another one of these years. It's just non-stop.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Dude, sometimes it’s not as bad as we make out.

Tomorrow Christians celebrate Good Friday. It was anything but good for Christ you had to endure an agonizing execution on a cross until death. That there’s a bad day.

You on the other hand can choose to purchase a different type of mower or invest in a winch.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear it, Mark! Hoping Mother Nature decides to switch gears.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Sorry, guys, this belongs in "What's Your Deal!".

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Hang in there!
It'll dry out soon...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Just 3 days ago 2 different little slickee holes in my lawn were giving me the fits, not with a rooster tail from the mower, but a MUD tail and tracks-across-the-melting-tundra mud, with the grass all toodamnLONG.....

Then the sun came out.

Yes, we are sometimes focused on the little shit in our lives.

The normal joy-O-mowing returned yesterday & the need for order & completion of chores in my personal estate-management list remains intact once again.

Good luck with yours.-

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Maybe some humorous stories will help.

I rented a tractor with a Bush hog to knock down some overgrown lots in my subdivision. I started my first pass on the first lot by going to the back and getting the tractor stuck in a drainage ditch. The first pass wasn't wide enough for my new truck, so I went back to the rental place and rented a T300 Bobcat to pull the tractor out. They warned me they didn't have anything bigger to pull the Bobcat out with. Fortunately, it didn't come to that.

Many years ago, while driving around a subdivision that had only had the roads put in, my buddy got his '69 Bronco stuck in some mud at the bottom of a hill. In my attempt to pull him out with my CJ7, I wound up next to him and had to unzip my driver soft top window because his passenger side mirror was sticking in it. We were pulled out by another friend with a compact utility tractor and enough rope and chains to reach us from the paved road.

I was working for a FBO in Danbury, CT. The owner asked my to fuel a couple airplanes that where tied down in the grass. He warned my that because of all the rain, it would be too soft to drive the fuel onto the grass and told me to keep it on the pavement. 18 year old me walked out on the grass and decided it would be fine. It wasn't. I drove 45 minutes home, got the CJ7, drove back, and pulled the fuel truck out from the pavement.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
We’ve all been there before. I couldn’t handle a job that depended on the weather. I used to have friends that were farmers and they could lose an entire crop with a change in the weather.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck and good weather to you!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement and for letting me vent. Smile

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it’s time to expand and just manage those doing grunt work for you!

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Sorry man, I really am.

God above knows I’ve had those days, and I ended up leaving my last company because I knew there was no end in sight.

Hope it gets better.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Thanks for the encouragement and for letting me "vent". Smile

Quotes added - I see what you did there . . . .

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My business is a little weather dependent too. Some days it's best to just say screw it and go home early because the weather is bad, and come back the next day. A lot of times it works out better and you're not fighting it every step of the way.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty righteous rant, including the truck vents. We moved to MS 2 years ago and it's rained ever since, so I can completely get the frame of reference. Hope your world dries out soon, know this affect not just your back but your wallet as well.

Out of concern for your back AND your customers, what in the world possesses folks to drive one of those mowers into a yard that is known to be wet/hold water without first taking 5 minutes to check it out first?

I'm assuming if you're so stuck you had to drag it out the lawn is trashed like some teenage hooligans have been trenching it, except someone actually paid for that damage.

You seem like a guy who probably circles back and repairs the issue, but I've had to discuss this at least 5 times with our dude. Not burying it up to axles, but in the yard when it's wet enough to be spinning up turf and dirt leaving a trail of tracks all through the yard. It's a mystery I tell ya, but I guess now I'm happy he's only tearing up my yard and not injuring himself. He's a nice guy. Smile

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of investing in a set of traction boards??
MAXSA 20333 Escaper Buddy Traction Mats for Off-Road Mud, Sand, & Snow Vehicle Extraction (Set of 2), Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A..._api_i_TpDUCbN3RPEWW

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I found myself in my truck smashing my Thermos into the air vent, breaking the vent louvers into about 50 pieces. My only hope was that I'd get struck by lightning and die immediately.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Without disappointment you cannot appreciate victory. Big Grin

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
That's a pretty righteous rant, including the truck vents. We moved to MS 2 years ago and it's rained ever since, so I can completely get the frame of reference. Hope your world dries out soon, know this affect not just your back but your wallet as well.

Out of concern for your back AND your customers, what in the world possesses folks to drive one of those mowers into a yard that is known to be wet/hold water without first taking 5 minutes to check it out first?

I'm assuming if you're so stuck you had to drag it out the lawn is trashed like some teenage hooligans have been trenching it, except someone actually paid for that damage.

You seem like a guy who probably circles back and repairs the issue, but I've had to discuss this at least 5 times with our dude. Not burying it up to axles, but in the yard when it's wet enough to be spinning up turf and dirt leaving a trail of tracks all through the yard. It's a mystery I tell ya, but I guess now I'm happy he's only tearing up my yard and not injuring himself. He's a nice guy. Smile

Yeah, the customers trust me to fix anything that I tear up. Concerning checking the lawns first, they are already 18" high, I've already skipped them two or three times. I can't let the customers get code enforcement fines and if I skip a lawn that money is gone, there's no way to make up the work. Also, that one spot that's soft can sneak up on you, it's fine until you hit that one spot and if it's a 2% grade you're suddenly going backwards even though the wheels are spinning forward.

These lands are so wet they actually flow back to flat. I've only had to let them dry and rake in some seed. I don't think it's going to dry any time soon though.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Have you thought of investing in a set of traction boards??
MAXSA 20333 Escaper Buddy Traction Mats for Off-Road Mud, Sand, & Snow Vehicle Extraction (Set of 2), Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A..._api_i_TpDUCbN3RPEWW
Amazing idea. Thank you!