SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The average person is unprepared for even the most basic of crisis....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The average person is unprepared for even the most basic of crisis.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
14 year old son got really scrapped up at baseball just now. Player slid into him with cleats and scrapped his left inner thigh pretty good in multiple spots .

Two teams , coaches, parents and no one had anything resembling first aid kits.

I had just emptied my truck from weekend adventure and didn't have my usually stuff with me, but still had my emergency kit. I taped pads over his scrapes and then held in place with ace bandage.

I will have to really clean it up when he gets home. Going to hurt like hell tomorrow.

Amazed at how unprepared people are for just the smallest of emergency. Reminds me of the Capitol shooting video where the camera dude is asked if he called 911 and he replied, "I assume lots of people called 911 by now"

I assume lots of people have first aid kits

I assume the police will always be on time to protect me

I assume I assume I assume ....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
14 year old son got really scrapped up at baseball just now. Player slid into him with cleats and scrapped his left inner thigh pretty good in multiple spots .

Two teams , coaches, parents and no one had anything resembling first aid kits.

I had just emptied my truck from weekend adventure and didn't have my usually stuff with me, but still had my emergency kit. I taped pads over his scrapes and then held in place with ace bandage.

I will have to really clean it up when he gets home. Going to hurt like hell tomorrow.

Amazed at how unprepared people are for just the smallest of emergency. Reminds me of the Capitol shooting video where the camera dude is asked if he called 911 and he replied, "I assume lots of people called 911 by now"

I assume lots of people have first aid kits

I assume the police will always be on time to protect me

I assume I assume I assume ....

You must assume lot's of those around you are drones.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drones indeed. Many times I have responded while others walked by. WTF is wrong with people? Learn a little to save a life.

On a trip to Paris I was in a dining room with 70+ people. A woman choked. I was the ONLY PERSON to help her. The only reward I got from it was the feeling of saving a life. You know what? It's more than enough. I couldn't sleep nights if I had not responded.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine posted a story on his FB about how he was driving an extended distance in NM and got a flat tire. He called Roadside Assistance (!!) for a tow to a shop; turns out they don't have that size tire. After a night in a hotel, he was towed 70 miles (through roadside assistance again) to the closest tire store that had his tire.

After reading his account, I asked..."Why do you not have a spare tire (donut) or a full-sized spare when driving out in the middle of nowhere?"

His response: "That is what I pay roadside assistance for!"

Then I found out later from one of his friends (if this is common knowledge, I apologize)...40% of cars don't come with a spare tire (of any kind), or jack/jack handle to save on weight. Holy crap!

I've never owned a car without a full-sized spare; and I'm always with a stocked 1st Aid Kit. On an extended trip, I add food, water, and other sundry items when away from home.

I don't know how anyone can rely solely on: 1) cell phone coverage; 2) someone else to do the most basic of tasks for them in the middle of nowhere; 3) refuse to see the error of their ways.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The coaches may not have first aid kits because they are afraid they could be sued.
Another sign of the times.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
A friend of mine posted a story on his FB about how he was driving an extended distance in NM and got a flat tire. He called Roadside Assistance (!!) for a tow to a shop; turns out they don't have that size tire. After a night in a hotel, he was towed 70 miles (through roadside assistance again) to the closest tire store that had his tire.

After reading his account, I asked..."Why do you not have a spare tire (donut) or a full-sized spare when driving out in the middle of nowhere?"

Then I found out later from one of his friends (if this is common knowledge, I apologize)...40% of cars don't come with a spare tire (of any kind), or jack/jack handle to save on weight. Holy crap!

I've never owned a car without a full-sized spare; and I'm always with a stocked 1st Aid Kit. On an extended trip, I add food, water, and other sundry items when away from home.

I don't know how anyone can rely solely on: 1) cell phone coverage; 2) someone else to do the most basic of tasks for them in the middle of nowhere; 3) refuse to see the error of their ways.

When my wife got her sonata there was no tire. Not even available for the hybrid. Just a can of fixa flat and a little compressor. I was bewildered.

I wouldn't get a car with no spare. I prefer a full sized spare, but my current one is a doughnut.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I had a conversation with a guy relating to me his adventures at Camp Wonderful (I shit you not...Google it). Included in this tale he discussed traveling into the deep wilderness down a gravel road with the increased chance of encountering wild animals. In the event of an emergency he hoped he would be near somebody that could assist with first aid/etc. I asked him why didnt he get some training and handle his own problems.

Blank stare..............

Yep. God forbid that he take care of himself. Roll Eyes

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Camp Wonderful

Holy shit it is real. https://campwonderful.com/

They keep referring to "programming" in this link:
https://campwonderful.com/learnmore/

Scroll down to what "we all agree to...."

Jesus, who reads this and thinks it would be a good idea?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:

Yeah, I'm shopping for a new car right now. I've been driving my F250 for 20 years now and it's just time for a change. I'm finding to my surprise that a lot of new cars come with a can of sealant instead of a spare tire. Sometimes a (temporary compact) spare tire is an option, other times you're on your own to get one. WTF?

I always have both general purpose first aid and trauma kits in the truck, and a smaller one in my daily-go-to-work-by-public-transit backpack.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Trying to remember what we taught at the last Boy Scout meeting...

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When my son was playing ball during high school, i always brought a first aid kit.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
When my wife got her sonata there was no tire. Not even available for the hybrid. Just a can of fixa flat and a little compressor. I was bewildered.

When I bought my Elantra, it came with a can of fixaflat. No jack, no donut.

Have not had to use it, but am starting to think about replacing that fixaflat with a newer can. That on has been in the car since 2011.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:
Yesterday I had a conversation with a guy relating to me his adventures at Camp Wonderful (I shit you not...Google it). Included in this tale he discussed traveling into the deep wilderness down a gravel road with the increased chance of encountering wild animals. In the event of an emergency he hoped he would be near somebody that could assist with first aid/etc. I asked him why didnt he get some training and handle his own problems.

Blank stare..............

Yep. God forbid that he take care of himself. Roll Eyes

Well, the name "Camp Lame Ass" was already in use.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Kinda surprised coaches aren't required to have at least a basic first aid kit with band-aids and what not. But then again in this bizarro world we live in I guess the threat of lawsuit because you helped is greater than not helping at all.

As for no spares in cars, yes quite common now as a space / weight / economical savings measure. First time I saw it was 05 with my friend's VW R32. They provided a sealant can and mini air compressor as a weight saver since it was a performance vehicle.

Meanwhile my '06 Passat came with full size matching rim spare that even had the air pressure sensor installed so you can tell if it goes flat in your trunk.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have several kits I carry. Normally I have a first aid kit and a trauma kit. My son took a fall when we were running down a mountain. As I pulled open the bag I found I had a trauma kit and...a trauma kit. So no small bandaids, no Neosporin...just Israeli bandages, tourniquets a chest seal... So he got two bandages on his knees and one on his hands.

I notice most people are unprepared as the OP has stated, and there are only two extremes to this. Either people are or they aren't. There is not really a medium to it.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Camp Wonderful

Holy shit it is real. https://campwonderful.com/

They keep referring to "programming" in this link:
https://campwonderful.com/learnmore/

Scroll down to what "we all agree to...."

Jesus, who reads this and thinks it would be a good idea?

Only $595-$795 for a Friday-Monday experience, no refunds, and besides separate boys and girls cabins, other options are:

. . . and the 2 guys who run it are flying trapeze instructors Big Grin

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intro to clowning!
Hot damn! Sign me up!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post