SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm fed up with the term "people of color"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm fed up with the term "people of color" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well, I've been working in the yard so my arms, neck, & face are G83. My butt is a F56. Big Grin

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
Well, I've been working in the yard so my arms, neck, & face are G83. My butt is a F56. Big Grin

Ken

Yep I'll about the same as you currently.

I dream of the day that people just say they are American, instead of POC, Hyphenated-American, or American of X decent.

As long as you don't ask me for special treatment, IDGAF what color your skin is. OK purple would freak me out a bit, but besides purple, whatever you were born with is A-OK with me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m all over the place.

My face is TN2
Neck is EB3
Left arm is TN4
Right arm is TN3
And the rest of me is FS8.

My grandkids are BAW (Black, Asian, White) but we all identify as American Patriots.
Smile

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And unless you hold a dual citizenship , you are not " African American " . Or any other hyphenated American for that matter .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I have someone I am speaking with use that term in a discussion, I immediately stop them and ask "What color?". Then, before they can answer (because that first question dumbfounds them for a moment) I start asking random colors, Purple? Blue? Green?

Then I just stop and grin.....

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Something about this topic and millennials seems to go together like ketchup with French fries. Oh and social media is the burger. All you need is some “colored” soda and you have your got damn recipe for all this bullshit today.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think whoever uses that term is really referring to blacks only. While the NAACP is for “colored” people, I’ve never seen them advocate for anyone not black. When someone says African-American, I ask them if they’re from Africa or if they’ve even been to Africa. Weird thing is that many Africans I’ve met want to be distinct from black Americans.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on whether we are looking at my legs (pale white is not a color wheel option) or my face maybe an EB1 in the summer here

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
On the census they should have this and make people check a colored box:

on some parts I am a GB2,, due to suntan,

most of me is FS8, or lighter,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was green once, on a roller coaster.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am people of Jewler.

Ahhh Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I had an experience a few weeks back that had me shaking my head. My wife is Chinese and I'm...most of western Europe plus some Scandinavia, I guess. Anyway, I'm obviously a white dude but my kids look pretty asian. They were with me at Home Depot, and when we were checking out the lady working the register just could not figure out how to form a sentence asking me what sort of asian they were. She kept stopping mid sentence and backing up to try a different word, I guess cause she didn't want to offend me. Thing was, the poor lady couldn't figure out anything to say that she didn't think might be offensive! I eventually took pity on her and said their mom was Chinese, but it was weird watching her flounder around for the right words. She looked like she was probably Fillipino, so it wasn't even like she had White Guilt or something!

I just found it both hilarious and sad that she could not find a way to ask about the ethnicity of my kids that couldn't be misconstrued as racist. When just the act of talking about race might seem racist, something is very wrong.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post