SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hassles of trying to sell a few firearms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hassles of trying to sell a few firearms Login/Join 
posted
I had a family member pass recently and was trying to sell some firearms that my mother-in-law had, that she was looking to sell to help with her bills. I thought about getting one or two but I just don't have the funds right now. I put them up on a couple local sites, for decent prices and sold a couple with no problems. I always sell to someone with a ccw license and do the meet in public areas.

I have a couple other guns that people stated they wanted, so I met up with them and then say they want to "try them out prior to buying them". I am then asked,can I meet them at a local range for a trial shoot? When did this become a thing? I told them they could buy the gun and then go and test it. The guns are in great to excellent condition and everything works perfectly on the guns. What a waste of time. Just had to vent and I am just going to put them on consignment.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've sold quite a few guns on Armslist over the years. Out of all the folks I've dealt with, I have only had one person request this, which I promptly rejected.

So I don't believe this is "a thing", but apparently some people think it is, or are trying to make it so.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sell em here?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Sell em here?

I am just trying to sell locally for now due to issues with shipping/insurance etc..

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Consignment is one easy way, may give up a little doing so. May I/we just ask what they are? I’m not in the market, just curious.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I think some people watch too many Pawn Star episodes where Rick says "let's go to the range to see if this thing works and then I'll give you an offer."

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
For us FL members, anything cool?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Sell em here?

I am just trying to sell locally for now due to issues with shipping/insurance etc..

Put them classifieds with a FTF sale option only, you have quite a few SF members in FL..

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing really of significance left. I decided I am going to hold onto a couple,(an older S&W model 36 and a Ruger Mini-14) and pay her for them with my overtime check this week. That way my kids in the future can have something of their grand-dad's. He also had an older Ruger Single-Six with a cool cowboy style Lawrence holster/belt combo, I might get as well for my son for Christmas. If anything changes, I will list them here.

I sold a few already with no issues and my prices were lower than anything else you can find. A couple people wanted to shoot the Mini first prior to buying at a rifle range about an hour away from me and another knucklehead wanted to use his own loaded ammo to shoot the S&W 36.

Picture of fizteach
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of pistols to sell to finance a new p365, but have no idea the best way to go about this in East Texas.

Get over it!!

Posts: 669 | Location: Campbell, TX | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fizteach:
I have a couple of pistols to sell to finance a new p365, but have no idea the best way to go about this in East Texas.

Pick your poison... These all have pros and cons:

A) Easiest/least effort option, but lowest profit due to having to kick back a decent % of the sale price: Consignment at a gun shop

B) Easy, and no fees, but you have to deal with shipping (which can be expensive on a handgun which has to ship "Next Day"): Sigforum classifieds section

C) Fairly easy and most profit due to no fees and no shipping, but you have to weed out scammers, low-ballers, and tire-kickers: Armslist

D) Somewhat easy, and widest potential customer exposure, but you have to deal with shipping, and pay a portion of your profit in fees (which are still usually lower than a gun shop's consignment fees): Gunbroker

Personally, Armslist is usually my choice, since you don't have to hassle with shipping or pay any fees. But I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and you definitely have to be smart enough to avoid getting scammed. By sticking to strictly local face-to-face deals for cash, you can eliminate 99% of the scams out there. (Although that still doesn't help with sorting through the lowballers, oddball trade offers, and welchers who set a meeting but never show.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did do a trial shoot on my Century CETME because... it’s a Century CETME. Early ones, at least, not known as that great. Seller agreed, I provided ammo, range time, etc.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a family member pass recently and was trying to sell some firearms that my mother-in-law had, that she was looking to sell to help with her bills. I thought about getting one or two but I just don't have the funds right now. I put them up on a couple local sites, for decent prices and sold a couple with no problems. I always sell to someone with a ccw license and do the meet in public areas.

I have a couple other guns that people stated they wanted, so I met up with them and then say they want to "try them out prior to buying them". I am then asked,can I meet them at a local range for a trial shoot? When did this become a thing? I told them they could buy the gun and then go and test it. The guns are in great to excellent condition and everything works perfectly on the guns. What a waste of time. Just had to vent and I am just going to put them on consignment.

Guarantee those clowns are tire kickers. Screw 'em!

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Some folks have more time on their hands... I'd stick with your method and just tell them or anyone else that if they are not stratified after shooting the gun you will give them their money back.

The interesting thing with the internet sales I've made (I only buy) is that not once have I bought a gun that was not exactly as promised.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:

I feel your pain patw. Also live here in South Florida and will be selling of my last 3 whenever this pandemic stuff slows a bit. I've no one to pass down for posterity, and my wife would dispose of them as quickly as she could get them out of the house. She hasn't any idea whatsoever the value of them (I never mentioned it) as she would certainly have a bit dismayed hearing that I paid that much $$.

I'm going to try and sell all 3 at once and post here in the classifieds for a FTF. Health issues would prevent me from any kinds of trips to a gun range so I hope that the quality and brands of Wilson, Nighthawk, and Python speak for themselves, in addition to the mint conditions and accessories that will come with them. I'll also like you be asking a very reasonable and attractive price for all 3. I thought about the consignment also, or even a pawn/gun shop too. But for a Florida member here it may be appealing. I'll be giving it further thought here shortly. Good luck and please post further outcomes as I'm very interested in your results.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fizteach:

I've bought and sold a few on Texas Gun Trader over the years..
But be aware it is like the craigslist of firearms..
I always used a Bill of Sale and asked for ID to prove state residency. ..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I can sure sympathize. I have a Baer Concept V I've been thinking of selling for quite a while, but the hassle of it all -- let alone all the new (and unfamiliar) regulations and fed/state restrictions that have cropped up since I last sold a gun (especially here in WA State) -- have quashed any real urgency to do so. I think, though, I'm ready to get it done, and will probably soon try the Classifieds here first, with a FTF restriction, at least initially, to cut down on at least some of the hassle. I did briefly consider consignment, but don't want folks fiddling with it, dry-firing it, dropping it...Eek I didn't keep it a safe-queen for years and years just to have it trashed.

And, no, there sure won't be a try-before-you-buy testing on my Baer...I didn't know that'd become a thing, either.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of compdocjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:

Its a scam, no one takes a used gun out for a test drive!

Posts: 16 | Location: Down South | Registered: September 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decided to buy them myself as I would give a better/fair price to my mother in law. The 2 guns are nothing special and have some rust but I figure the kids would like to have them when they are able.

posted Hide Post
Now you know what gun shops have to deal with on a regular bases. If you plan to sell anything, especially online, be prepared for tire kickers, picture collectors, people who ask a bunch of dumb questions but never had any intention of purchasing the firearm and people who say I'll take it then you never hear from them again. It's just the cost of doing business whenever you try and sell something.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post