SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ford internal water pump strikes again
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford internal water pump strikes again Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Another pet peeve. Design changes in a part that could not be interchanged, the only way to know the difference was some obscure detail.

GM used to be "good" for that. I once made a written inquiry to cataloging that asked "How can you pinpoint seven trucks built at Flint Assembly on a specific day that potentially had the left outer tie rod assembled without a cotter key but cannot give a VIN breakpoint in the parts catalog when the new design part was used?"

Wanna guess who never got a answer back to that one? And it was sent through the proper channels.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
What about old Ducatis where one fuse ran the brake light & ignition? Brake light goes out, cycle she-a-no run-a no more...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kz1000, that's nothing.

How about 1967 BSA Lightning? They did not even have a fuse. Yep, direct wired to the battery. I found that out three days after buying my new off the showroom floor model in April 1968.

Reading all the books that came with it, one of them did say "An accessory fuse is available".

Who the hell builds a vehicle with no factory installed fuse? The British, of course.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who the hell builds a vehicle with no factory installed fuse? The British, of course.

God bless Lucas Electric.

I had to do a complete rewire of my BSA without wiring diagrams.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking that BSA wanted you to get that old Triumph motorcycle instead.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did that at 2 A.M. in an apartment building parking lot after a party there. Had to get home from Ypsi to Farmington.

Another time about a year before outside West Branch the bike went dead, at least it was daylight. After taking the gas tank and the side covers and seat off and tracing wiring I found the problem. The ammeter in the headlight went open circuit. My circuit tester was the parking light in the headlight. Had maybe a six inch wire on it, short but in a pinch better than nothing.

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The Ford got hot and wouldn't do no more.
the late Chuck Berry

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:

Lucas Electric!!!

My favorite jokes:

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?
A: Because Lucas Electric makes refrigerators.

L.U.C.A.S.
Loose Unsoldered Connections And Splices.

Owning any British vehicle is a labor of love.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It sucks, but that's just the way it works out a lot of times. At least you're getting paid by the hour. They probably did that to shorten the motor so it fit into one of the models they made at the time. The timing chain is overdue at 144k miles anyways.

A timing belt maybe, not a chain.

Maybe not the chain, but a tensioner that will let go, get between the gear and the chain, killing all three, then also killing the head/valves. Went through that with my father's truck. All because of I part I couldn't figure out why they needed anyway.

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My sister-in-law's car (2012 Lincoln MKZ) has this engine.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I swear all first year engineering students take a class entitled "how to be a sadistic bastard 101" to get them prepped for the workforce. Some of these designs are mind-bogglingly idiotic.

No, that class is in the third year. Knuckle Busters 101 is 1st year. I know, because I am an engineer. :-)

Go ahead and change the driver's side climate control door motor ($40 from Ford or $17 aftermarket) on a 2013 Expedition. Must pull console & dash, plus drain & refill heater line & AC.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:
It sucks, but that's just the way it works out a lot of times. At least you're getting paid by the hour. They probably did that to shorten the motor so it fit into one of the models they made at the time. The timing chain is overdue at 144k miles anyways.

A timing belt maybe, not a chain.

Yeah, timing chains wear and get sloppy and the timing then changes hurting performance, the tensioners also get shot. 144k miles is a long time on a timing chain.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well mopar water pumps were like that well before Fords.
Maybe they all are now. I know Ford does not manufacture their own water pumps..at least on some engines.
My brother had to borrow money to fix the water pump on his mopar many years ago. He has been dead quite a while and I think the repair bills on that car helped ruin his heart.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I found out recently that my 2014 fuel injected turbocharged F-150 has a vacuum pump to run some systems that still run off vacuum. How did I find this out? It was leaking oil.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
5.4 Triton spark plugs anybody?

Been there. Still waiting on my refund.

We received our refund last year, after pretty much giving up. IIRC, we received $270.00. We provided receipts for over $1,400.

That was the only issue we had with that F-150.

My Daughter now drives a Chevy 2500. I know, they probably have issues too.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
The timing chain is overdue at 144k miles anyways.

Holy smokes! At that rate, I should be on my third chain by now. Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've changed them out well over 300k.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welp, in the Fords, the timing chains are very long, they can get loose, the tensioners can go bad and they can create all sorts of engine issues. Some people never chain spark plugs for 300k miles, or change oil for 100k miles, doesn't mean that is how you should properly maintain an engine. Now I wouldn't change it to change it at 144k miles with no other symptons, but if you're already in there, any good factory trained tech would change it. The timing chain on most Ford modular motors is a mile long with several tensioners that do go bad, compared to a 350 chevy where it's a short chain and a little slop is not that big of a deal.

If the chain is so worn that you can not read the stamped markings on the side of the chain as in the OP's case, it has excessive wear and should be changed (a worn timing chain causes poor fuel economy, poor performance, and on Fords it's not unheard of that they can jump teeth and cause issues like a broken timing belt).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkzsnie4hdg

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Lucas Electric!!!

My favorite jokes:

Lucas, the original anti-theft device.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
5.4 Triton spark plugs anybody?

those are easy to do all it takes is an impact wrench I kid you not.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post