SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can anyone do anything right the first time???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone do anything right the first time??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Does anyone give a shit about the jobs they do anymore?? Or is s it just do the minimum or band aid fix it and see if we get away with it?
I bought a used van it had a couple issues so part of the deal it was to be fixed. I purchased the van 2 hours away and they deliver it to me after it was fixed. The main issue was the foglight had moisture in it and was not secured to the bumper. It was to be REPLACED. They deliver it and there is no moisture and is attached. 2 days later I got new fog light bulbs so I got to swap them out well what do you know the fog light has become detached all they did was stick a dab of glue on it. So I am pissed and the dealer is 2 hours away. They say take it to the closest dealer and they'll take care of the bill.
No problem but it will be a week or so as I am dropping the van off for window tint, fix a couple cosmetic issues, and a full interior and exterior detail.
So I drop it off for that at a local body shop on a Monday should be done Friday. Nope, they found a blemish in their work and have to do it over (give them credit for not trying to slide it through). So I go to pick it up Wednesday and as I am looking over it they just crappily stuck one part back on. Instead of buying the factory clips they tried to make their own and it looked terrible. So 2 more days waiting on the proper clips. Finally finish it and it looks good but they had it a week longer than originally quoted. Ohh, well it looks good.
Now I can take it to the local Toyota dealer so the foglight can be fixed properly. I informed the fella at the service counter that I had swapped the standard halogen bulbs for yellow LEDs so make sure they don't put a standard bulb back in it.
I go to pick up the van at 6:30 service closes at 7:00. The woman is quite unfriendly from the get go and asks if I already paid. I said no another dealer was taking care of the bill and the service tech I dropped it off with was well aware. She nastily says she knows nothing about it and hands me the invoice which clearly indicates it was being paid for by the other dealer.
I go out to inspect the work and guess what I have 1 LED and 1 halogen bulb.
I go back inside and am met with the grump face and a "what now" I told her they did not put the proper bulb back in. She says yeah you had some yellow bulb in there. I said I know I put it in there and told the service tech I dropped it off with about it. She said she did not know anything about it. To which I said clearly you did as you
mentioned it being yellow. She said they don't have yellow bulbs, I said fine where is the perfectly good that was in there I told you all about. She does not know and everyone has gone home early. I said it is not my problem people left early. She calls the service tech and he says he will get it in the morning.
Why can't people just work on things like they are working on their own stuff. Why must folks try to cut corners and do as little as possible.

This is exactly why I do all my own freaking work on my cars that I can.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your service troubles.

Think of all the bad luck that you are burning off though! Eventually, you'll be left with nothing but good karma.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proves what I have believed for some time now. You can easily buy a vehicle, any type of vehicle, new or used and get a good deal.
But finding anyone who can actually work on it or repair it is a crap shoot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Proves what I have believed for some time now. You can easily buy a vehicle, any type of vehicle, new or used and get a good deal.
It has been more than 20 years since I have taken a vehicle to a dealer for service. I have searched out a local shop that does things correctly. I can not tolerate dealing with a service writer who insulates me from the technicians.

The local shop I have been fortunate to find, has three people on staff: two mechanics and the owner. The owner serves as the service writer, he does all the road tests and quality assurance, he is a mechanic, and most important, he has P226s and P229s, mostly in .357 SIG, with some 9mm in the mix.

None of the "our insurance prohibits ..." nonsense, I can go into the shop to see my vehicle being worked on. The owner does, in fact, treat my vehicles as if they were his own. He sources parts to try to control costs for me without sacrificing quality. For example, he has shown me a Bosch part in a Bosch box and the identical Bosch part in a Mercedes box, identical parts in different packaging, with a very significant price difference.

With service like this, I see no reason to go to a dealer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What, no Enter/Return button on your device!?!?!?

That's a sweet nearly wall of text.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Wink

That just shows the frustration of OP. Just typing and typing to try to vent. There's no time or need to use the enter or return key Smile

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Son was hit and took his car to the body shop. A piece of trim came off and you see where they had tried to glue it instead of using clips.

Took it back, got it fixed, a week later, same thing.

Took 3 tries to get it done correctly.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
It has been more than 20 years since I have taken a vehicle to a dealer for service. I have searched out a local shop that does things correctly. I can not tolerate dealing with a service writer who insulates me from the technicians.

The local shop I have been fortunate to find, has three people on staff: two mechanics and the owner. The owner serves as the service writer, he does all the road tests and quality assurance, he is a mechanic, and most important, he has P226s and P229s, mostly in .357 SIG, with some 9mm in the mix.

None of the "our insurance prohibits ..." nonsense, I can go into the shop to see my vehicle being worked on. The owner does, in fact, treat my vehicles as if they were his own. He sources parts to try to control costs for me without sacrificing quality. For example, he has shown me a Bosch part in a Bosch box and the identical Bosch part in a Mercedes box, identical parts in different packaging, with a very significant price difference.

It took me a while to find a mechanic that I trusted, but I got one that is honest and up front about things. He's not cheap and he knows it, but he also provides a level of service above everyone else. I like to work on my cars when I can and he'll let me know if an issue is a DIY or really needs to be performed by a mechanic.

In fairness to the local MB dealer, I did take it to them once for a major engine out warranty issue and I can't say enough about how well I was treated. I was impressed since it was a warranty issue on a 10 year old car that I didn't buy from them. (I originally took the car to the above mentioned mechanic. He charged me the diagnostic fee, then saved me a ton of money by informing me of the MB warranty issue and that I only had a few more months covered by the warranty so I was better to have the dealer do the work since he would be at least twice the cost)

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, I took my truck to a local mechanic for a rear brake job since it really needed it and I did not have any time to get it done. I mean it's rear brakes on a old dodge ram, easy right? Picked the truck up after work, pulled in the driveway, went to set the parking brake and it went all the way to the floor with no resistance.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Ugh the Ram is a bugger to get the rear breaks installed

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
In keeping with your thread title, I figure I did something right.

Joined the army at 17, traveled some 6000 miles to Germany, first girl I met, who lived about 100 klicks from where I was stationed, became my wife.

Been married 59 years in May. Not to derail the thread, of course. Razz

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Where in Central FL is this mystical mechanic??

Please don't tell me Zellwood or Eustis...

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Got my bulb back!!!
Lady was as grumbly as last night.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Wink

Not sure what you are reading. I see 9 spots where the enter key was used.

————————————————

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
quote:
quote:

Where in Central FL is this mystical mechanic??

Please don't tell me Zellwood or Eustis...
Do you know where Costco is, in Altamonte Springs? General Auto Repair is right around the corner from there, maybe a five minute walk, if that much.

My email address is in my profile if you want the address, phone number, name of owner, etc.

I found the place after I had thrown multi-bucks at my GMC 3500 delivery truck, paying a different place to (not) fix an intermittent dragging brake problem. I stopped in at this place, near my house and described the problem. The guy got up from his desk, walked out to the truck, took about 30 seconds to figure out what the problem was.

I left the truck for repair, he drove me home. That was a bunch of years ago, I have been using him for vehicle maintenance ever since, no complaints at all.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Preach it, Brother! My business continues to grow because some folks can't even do a simple haircut right. They charge out the wazoo, and do crap work. It's not rocket science, just give a shit while your doing it! Most of the crap work is cranked out by people with twice the professional experience that I have!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is exactly why I do all my own freaking work on my cars that I can.

THIS! Unless it is way beyond the abilities of me and Google/Youtube, a perfect example of why. And these are just irritants, nothing like not filling the oil, leaving filter loose, stripping pan, etc. that we hear all the time.

All while they roll up 50 miles on an M3 in my case after replacing a nav DVD head unit. That was NOT a pleasant experience for anybody in the area......

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Our motto is "there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over."

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see 9 spots where the enter key was used.

At least 9.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know where Costco is, in Altamonte Springs? General Auto Repair is right around the corner from there, maybe a five minute walk, if that much.

My email address is in my profile if you want the address, phone number, name of owner, etc.

I found the place after I had thrown multi-bucks at my GMC 3500 delivery truck, paying a different place to (not) fix an intermittent dragging brake problem. I stopped in at this place, near my house and described the problem. The guy got up from his desk, walked out to the truck, took about 30 seconds to figure out what the problem was.

I left the truck for repair, he drove me home. That was a bunch of years ago, I have been using him for vehicle maintenance ever since, no complaints at all.

Thanks!!

Still might be a bit of a haul from Winter Garden, but might be worth it. I'll think about it and email if I have questions.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post