SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Media people, just wear a tie
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Media people, just wear a tie Login/Join 
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I don't own a suit much less a silk tie. I do have a blue blazer for the two times a year I might think about dressing up in my jeans. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I buy Brooks Bros. suits, and yes, I do not understand wearing a nice suit with no tie as a fashion statement. When I want that look, I wear a sports jacket, open neck shirt and casual slacks.

This is pretty much how I feel.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I don't get ties. Never have, and after seeing the damage someone can do to you in a fight when you wear one, I never will. At least a clip on one isn't a safety hazard, but I just don't get the point of them, or "pocket squares". Obviously, I'm not a "clothes guy". I wear the same things, different colors, day after day until it wears out, then switch to something else, and wear that until it wears out. No suits for me, I kind of feel someone who wears one that doesn't have to is kind of an ahole. Jeans or twill pants, and a cheap shirt, with high top black sneakers is what I wear, all the time.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The only social occasions that require suit and tie are funerals and weddings. I don't get wearing a suit otherwise. A blazer and Dockers (no damn tie) cover everything else.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wore a tie from age 11 to age 62. Since then maybe once a year. Last year I did not even wear a tie to a funeral. I have a drawer full - need to donate them...

Posts: 915 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I used to wear suits and sport coats a lot more before moving down south. Now I can't just cause of the heat. I often did the suit with no tie. Wearing a tie increases my sweat factory by about two fold and that's in the dead of winter.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I wish I could find a nice suit for $500.

-Rob

No kidding.

But I'll skip the tie sometimes, if the venue doesn't demand one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27919 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the Media women who wear a dress that looks like a Crayola box exploded on a Rorschach test.

Posts: 880 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tie is a useless piece of decoration slash safety hazard that requires me to button my shirt up all the way, reducing comfort and ventilation. They are quite possibly the single most pointless piece of 'uniform' attire ever designed.

It's time to get off the 'tradition' bandwagon and ditch them.

Posts: 2123 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a career military guy, I love not having to wear suits. Wearing the same uniform day in and day out really is freeing. I hate when I have to wear my ASUs (dress uniform) even if it is only once a year or so.

Really not looking forward to having to wear suits daily after I retire from the Army and get into corporate America.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jumper:
A tie is a useless piece of decoration slash safety hazard that requires me to button my shirt up all the way, reducing comfort and ventilation. They are quite possibly the single most pointless piece of 'uniform' attire ever designed.

It's time to get off the 'tradition' bandwagon and ditch them.
Preach it brother!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jumper: They are quite possibly the single most pointless piece of 'uniform' attire ever designed.

The powdered wig would be in the running, but at least that may have been beneficial to bald guys. The tie benefits no one.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post